Home networking

hacker999

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi, i have set up home network through another computer.

Cable modem > 1st computer > Second computer.. the second computer is conected to the first computer. ICS , so i can use the internet from the first computer and second computer.

internet works fine on the second computer. but i cannot acess the shared files on either computers.

1 is pro
1 is home edition. if that helps.

som1 plzzzz help me

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Make sure you run ICS wizard and that both machines are in the same work group, I always get better results if I disable the firewall's while running the wizard ;)

It does sound like a permission problem, is the connection allowed on the firewalls of both machines ? Also have you shared folders on both machines ?

thanks for the reply mate. yes i have run ICS on both machines and same workgroup; is it ok if i name is MSHOME. and im goin to try it with firewall turnd off mate. then ill let u no.

do i have to share files on both computers? shall i just put C:\ to share on both computers. and im not sure about the permission problem bcuz 1 is Home and one is Pro

Try changing the workgroup on both machine to a different name, this refreshes the settings better and make sure you have firewalls turned off.

Then check to see if you can access both machines and if all is well then switch ya firewall back on.

What firewall you using ? Is it the same on both machines ?

na second 1 doesnt hav no firewall. lol

1st 1 got windows firewall nd norton 2006,

i have just realised. after ICS. windows firewall turns on automaticly. is this normal.. norton is disabled until i get this to work.

Last edited:
problem solved mate. lol....
thanks.. i just changed the workgroup name and it worked.
thankss.
oh yh btw. no problem with norton either. turned it on and it still working.
thanks again.

u should consider installing a firewall on your second machine. although the data path is through your machine with norton security that machine will pass through anything that is addressed to the second machine with no checks !!!!!!

u can check this at grc.com using shields up test.

yep had a look mate. need to install the firewall in the second computer aswell.
i didnt install it because i was thinkin what you said. bcuz i thougt that first computer will firewall the second aswell.
thanks

yes many people think that, unfortunatly its home users that get caught out they think they are protected :(

some products give a limited protection to client machines zone alarm does, but they recomend even with their top suite that as a minimum users should run their free product on cleint machines.

anyway as long as u aware then its up to u :)

na im just goin to install norton security suite on both machines.

thats ok just make sure u add either computer name or ip addy to each setup so each is trusted to each other.

i know. before i added them to block each other lol, then realised this aint the way to go.

i need help. i can now access the PC, but i cannot access the other computers History folder for internet.........lol. n e 1 no how i can do that. thanks.

i think you can only access the shared folders mate put what you need in there by right clicking it then share it

iv done that, sharing the history folder. but it doesnt show the , Today, Yesterday, 3 days ago...so on......

same problem but no solution

hey there guys been looking through this thread and i too have the same problem that hacker999 had only when i tried what dutcho suggested about changing the workgroup names it did not work:( i had already networked mine and my dads computers for printer and folder sharing. but on friday i accidently disconnected the network wire and only realised now that i cannot access my dads shared folders through my network places. i have tried the netwrok setup wizard several times but to no avail it still dosnt solve my problem. the internet is working fine on both computers however its just this shared printing and folder dillema i still cant seem to sort out.:Mad2: what could be the problem?? ive already tried disconnecting the router and reconneting but this too did not work.

both me and dad are running windows xp home edition sp2.

Back