HOME MADE - Linux Multiple Wan Routers

I've uploaded an example to my virgin pwp account, so you should log into the router and type:
cd /tmp
wget http://www.benallen.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/setup
chmod +x ./setup
./setup

This will (should :)) download and install the ntp client, which will correctly set the time on the router, then copy a cron job file that will shut down the wireless at 11:30pm, and restart it at 7:30am.

I've not tested it properly, so if you have any problems pm me. I'm (almost) certain it won't hurt anything though.

Good luck.

I've uploaded an example to my virgin pwp account, so you should log into the router and type:
cd /tmp
wget http://www.benallen.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/setup
chmod +x ./setup
./setup

This will (should :)) download and install the ntp client, which will correctly set the time on the router, then copy a cron job file that will shut down the wireless at 11:30pm, and restart it at 7:30am.

I've not tested it properly, so if you have any problems pm me. I'm (almost) certain it won't hurt anything though.

Good luck.

all installed ok now just have to wait and see many thanks

also is there a way to set days on it aswell ? say like sunday night till thursday night 11.30 switch off but for friday and saterday night a later time? would this be possible ??

also if i need to reverse it how is this done ?

Many Thanks again

also is there a way to set days on it aswell ? say like sunday night till thursday night 11.30 switch off but for friday and saterday night a later time? would this be possible ??

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Change the root file in the /etc/crontabs directory to match the above code.
It should now turn the wireless off at 11.30pm on Sun to Thurs (0 - 4) and turn the wireless off at 2.30am on Friday and Saturday night (Sat and Sun morning)

also if i need to reverse it how is this done ?

Delete the root file in /etc/crontabs

Code:

Change the root file in the /etc/crontabs directory to match the above code.
It should now turn the wireless off at 11.30pm on Sun to Thurs (0 - 4) and turn the wireless off at 2.30am on Friday and Saturday night (Sat and Sun morning)

Delete the root file in /etc/crontabs

Many thanks however i am unable to edit the file i have gone to the file editor tab etc/crontabs then open the file called root which shows the txt for the crontab but i am unable to change it what am i doing wrong?

Ignore last post ive worked it out

Many thanks to all that have helped me

Think ive just bricked my buffalo :(
Dual wan stopped working so went to flash again, now when i run tftp and try to flash, the flash progress bar comes up but stays at zero. Any ideas to get around? Also do i use tftp to load original firmware back on or do i use something else?
Thanks baggy69.

Dual wan stopped working so went to flash again, now when i run tftp and try to flash, the flash progress bar comes up but stays at zero. Any ideas to get around? Also do i use tftp to load original firmware back on or do i use something else?
Thanks baggy69.

yes use tftp to go back to original firmware you have to hold in the button on the top as you do this, adamg has posted a how to within this thread have a look for it he can explain it better lol

Aldormanndiobla i have noticed in your code there is no day 5 is this correct or should the 6 and 0 read 5 and 6 in the 2nd line of code?

Code:

many thanks

Aldormanndiobla i have noticed in your code there is no day 5 is this correct or should the 6 and 0 read 5 and 6 in the 2nd line of code?

Code:

Short Answer:

Its correct.

Long Answer:

0 and 7 = Sunday
1 - Mon, 2 - Tue, 3 - Wed, 4 - Thu, 5 - Fri, 6 - Sat.

So the top line says, turn wifi off on Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu at 11.30
Now on Friday night (5), you want it turned of later, say Saturday (6) morning at 2.30. Then the same again on Saturday (6) night, you want it turned off on Sunday (0 or 7) morning at 2.30.
Thats the next line. 6 - Sat, 0 - Sun.

I hope that helps.

Baggie, I had the same problem. Nay fret lad.

Drop your firewall and follow Adamg's video he posted up.
If that doesn't work, try a different port on your router. I tried the WAN port then port 1, in port 4 it worked.
Also, hold the button on the bottom in when your powering up, then let go once you have it powered.

With regards to putting it back to the original firmware, I don't think it is possible because all the Buffalo's firmware is encoded. (unless you can find one that isn't)
I couldn't be arsed looking around and installed tomato instead. Tomato is great, much better than the orginal firmware, in the theme of ebay. "Would recommend, A+++++++++++++" ;)

Baggie, I had the same problem. Nay fret lad.

Drop your firewall and follow Adamg's video he posted up.
If that doesn't work, try a different port on your router. I tried the WAN port then port 1, in port 4 it worked.
Also, hold the button on the bottom in when your powering up, then let go once you have it powered.

With regards to putting it back to the original firmware, I don't think it is possible because all the Buffalo's firmware is encoded. (unless you can find one that isn't)
I couldn't be arsed looking around and installed tomato instead. Tomato is great, much better than the orginal firmware, in the theme of ebay. "Would recommend, A+++++++++++++" ;)

Thanks, i did have a look at the video but got a little confused. In the write up he says pressing the top button, but on the video he presses the bottom (init) button?

So i cant go back to orig firmware, i was going to flash it back to that and give it my sister as a proper netgear dual wan came in the post this morning :)

Anyone got a dump of the orig firmware? All i can find is an american version?
Thanks Baggy69.

Thanks dazling, thats the one i could not get to work for some reason???
I found this one and it worked first time :)

Thanks, i did have a look at the video but got a little confused. In the write up he says pressing the top button, but on the video he presses the bottom (init) button?

So i cant go back to orig firmware, i was going to flash it back to that and give it my sister as a proper netgear dual wan came in the post this morning :)

1. press the reset button on the bottom.

2. Install Tomato and give the router to your sister. Tomato has a much better web GUI than the original firmware.

3. If the netgear is like the netgears I have used, do yourself a favour and chuck it in the bin.

1. press the reset button on the bottom.

2. Install Tomato and give the router to your sister. Tomato has a much better web GUI than the original firmware.

3. If the netgear is like the netgears I have used, do yourself a favour and chuck it in the bin.

Can you run adamg's dual wan script after installing tomato, or is there another script you have used?

Thanks

Sipper

Can you run adamg's dual wan script after installing tomato, or is there another script you have used?

No, Tomato still uses the NVRAM. You can google Tomato and Dual Wan to find the instructions.

But as I said earlier, just because you have two modems hooked up to a router, doesn't mean dual wan when you have zero balancing. IMHO.

baggy69: sorry instructions where conflicting, hope you got it working, i kind of lost intrest in all this a bit, if your still struggeling to restore, contact me and ill help

baggy69: sorry instructions where conflicting, hope you got it working, i kind of lost intrest in all this a bit, if your still struggeling to restore, contact me and ill help

All up and running again.
The way i found best to work in the end was to open up a cmd box and ping -t 192.168.11.1 then wait till i had a ping, then flash. Worked every time then.

hi adamg, finally got round to doing this to my new buffalo hp (wish i'd looked at ur vid 1st). i know its working as i got 2.7mb download on torrents(thanks added). the thing i now need to do is open a port for utorrent - i understand i can do this by installing the web gui? i tried this and failed - i'm crappy with the command line. if anyone would like to walk me thru opening a port/installing the web interface i would be very greatful

Back