Holiday to Republic of Ireland. Advice please.

gazupnorth

DW Member ++
Reaction score
Just wondered if there are any members who could give me a little advice on our upcoming jaunt to the Republic of Ireland.
We are going over on the car ferry and I wondered should I fill my car up with Diesel over there or before I set off from the UK. What I mean is, is diesel much cheaper or more expensive in Ireland ?? Diesel is currently about £1.36 per litre where we live in UK.
I think that food and alcohol is more expensive in Ireland so I think that I was going to take a lot of that stuff over with us, rather than doing a "big shop" when we get there.
What do we think ??

cheaper in Ireland, think its currently about €1.44 a litre, works out about £1.18.
Try and have enough to get you away from the port towns as it will be a little more expensive near there.

What area are you traveling to, If you are near the border towns with Nortern Ireland you can stock up on beers in Asda or Tesco

Cheers m8.
We are heading to an area near Limerick, so right in the centre. A trip to Northern Ireland is sadly not an option.

Ahh Limerick......or Stab City as it used to be known..........................

"Stab city" !!!! Had we better take out good life insurance ???

used to be know as stab city, don't think its as bad now.
Waterford always seemed picturesque to me, then i was told it has the most murders per capita in Ireland

The whole area looks absolutely fantastic in my travel guides. Can't wait to dip my toe in the nice warm water of the Atlantic ocean at Kilkee.

The whole area looks absolutely fantastic in my travel guides. Can't wait to dip my toe in the nice warm water of the Atlantic ocean at Kilkee.

Kilkee is a fair bit away from Limerick m8,but it is a nice place,m8 of mine lives there :)

If you get a chance visit Galway, its about 90 mins from limerick and in my opinion the nicest city in Ireland and has a real buzz about it. If you are there the last week in July its race week and the city is at its most busiest.

If you get a chance visit Galway, its about 90 mins from limerick and in my opinion the nicest city in Ireland and has a real buzz about it. If you are there the last week in July its race week and the city is at its most busiest.

Its a toss up for me tbh

Clare,Galway or Waterford in no particular order :)

Thanks everyone, Galway is definitely on the list of places to go.

yep m8 def go to Galway, I am from the North and we go quite a lot.

Great night life and lots to do. enjoy anyway m8.

I love Dublin, I'm from the north as well and been there a few times. Went to Donegal before as well and enjoyed it. Anywhere in Ireland is great IMO love the southern accent

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Tapatalk

Agree Waterford is lovely but so is Cork or even Dublin. Stab city? my goodness that is going back a bit isn't it.

Hoping to go to the Cliffs of Moher and hit the beaches as well, if we have decent weather ??
Thanks everyone for the help.

Thanks everyone that has helped so far.
Not wishing to hi-jack my own thread..... but slightly off topic ......
What kind of electrical plugs do you use in the Republic. Is it 240volts on three pin plugs that we use in the UK ??
Also has anyone heard of an animal petting farm near to Banagher. I've searched on google without joy but its mentioned in one of my guide books.
Any help would be appreciated.
Gazza

None of that fancy electric stuff over hear yet. Some parts of Dublin have running water now and I even heard of a fella in Mayo that has an indoor toilet.

Can't find anything about the petting zoo, and the plugs are all the same :)

Back