iPod help req'd plz

pod17250

Inactive User
Reaction score
son got an ipod touch for crimbo, updated to 2.2 and put some music on it, but how does he access the internet the wifi connects to my wifi ok but when he tries to get anything it says it is not connected to the internet. does he have to subscribe to anything.

Just because it is connected to the router does not mean that the router is granting it rights to the WAN side of the network.

Make sure your router gives it an IP address and that any MAC filtering allows the Touchs MAC address to be allowed access.

Also if you have any encryption on you network you will have to enable it on the Touch also, but as I do not use encryption I can't help with this sorry.

Messa

Thats all a little misleading, sorry.

The first thing you might want to take a look at is the admin page for your router. Try and see if your ipod is being given an IP. If it is, does it look similar to the IP's being assigned to other devices? Whilst the suggestion that MAC filtering may be preventing a connection, on most consumer routers you wont be allowed on to the network if you are filtering for specific MAC's.

ip address is the same as the one assigned to my pc do i need to alter this

Hi, yes it should have its own IP, unique on your network.

Your router should detect new devices and automatically assign them the next free IP in the address range that your router uses, for example mine uses 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.20

The easiest way to get it connected, just to see it it can, is to disable all security on your router and all MAC filtering if you have it turned on. Then reboot the router and then try and find networks on your Touch which should then pick it up.

Hope this helps, but I am drunk now so probably not.

:)

Messa

given up i will have to get someone to show me as i am thick as pigsh#t

sorted this problem out now, had to upgrade the firmware on my router and bingo it all worked thanks for the help

Back