HELP! Hard Drive!

Ok, ive suddenly decided I want to mod my PS2 so I can download games onto an external harddrive then play them.

Ok, ive searched this forum and found out that I need a program called USBeXtreme. So, I downloaded this off bittorrent. I copied a game I own onto my external harddrive using the software and that worked fine.

Now when I tried to burn the USBeXtreme image to a CD, it burned but the PS2 said it wasnt a PS2 disc.

Right, so i'm wondering, before I waste a DVD, can you actually burn the image of USBeXtreme or do you actually have to buy it. Because I would prefer to do all this free.

If you have to buy it, does anyone know of any other method to play off an external harddrive?

If your ps2 is modded it should read the disc ok.

But if your ps2 is the old version used network adaptor and hdadvance much better than usbextreme more games are compatible ;)

Ok, right, so ive just bought a network adapter. What do I do now? Can I still use my external USB HDD?

Oh and my PS2 is the old version, not modded. I dont really wanna mod it.

Hi, if you have an old style PS2, then you will need HDAdvance, PS2 Network adapter and an internal HDD drive. Preferably a Maxtor as they are most compatible with the network adapter.

USBExtreme and a external USB HDD is for the PS2 Slim.

So all i have to do is get HDadvance and i can download any game onto the harddrive and play it?

Not exactly.

There are two discs that comes with HDAdvance, one for playing PS2 CD games while the other is for DVD games. PS1 will never work nor will any Rip games. They have to be either backups of orignal or full rips.

Go to HDAdvance website, as everthing is explained there. Also they have a forum which list compatible games.

Do you rip it on the PC then ftp it to the harddrive? So i heard.

So is it possible to download an ISO of a game, run it in a virtual drive, and then rip it from there. Then ftp it over?

Hi,

The best way to put games onto the PS2 formatted HDD, is to plug it back into your PC and use HDAdvance Dump. This tool lets you mount the drive and extract the ISO image into it.

With HDAdvance running in server mode, you can use hda dump to transfer the iso via network cable, but is extremely slow.

The fastest method to transfer your backup iso to your hardrive is plug in your external drive to your pc and used this software to transfer your backup iso,when done remove your drive and put it in your network adaptor to the ps2.

i use a IDE to USB cable to connect the hdd to my pc which saves me opening my pc up each time i get a new game. i prefer get the PAL iso's as they dont need patching.
a maxtor hdd is the best as the connectors are spaced out right for the network connector. if you have a different hdd then you might need to mod the network adaptor

I use hdldumb to copy the games over.

When connecting to the network controller you need to make sure the drive is configured as a master else you may have probs.

Back