Help - for installing hard drive

poolfan

Inactive User
Reaction score
Just got my 250GB hard drive. A tad confussed - easily done!!

Have opened up the DM600 (4 screws off)

Have removed the support tray for hard disk (2 screws off)

Q1 - I presume that the drive sits on tray with circuit board down, label up, this allow holes in hard drive to align with those on tray. Are there any spare screws so that I can secure the hard drive to tray, or do I need to purchase?

Q2 - The ribbon connection - am I right in saying that the last 4 pins (2 rows of 2) that are not directly adjacent to other pins on the hard drive do not connect to the ribbon, as ribbon plug looks only long enough for the 2rows of 22pins?

Q3 - should the pins on hard drive be facing to the right, when looking at DM600 from the front (doesn't appear long enough if mounting the hard drive the other way around)? If so, the ribbon looks like it is too long, looks hard to hide the excess ribbon length without interfering with the enclosure? Do you fold the excess under the hard drive tray or am I missing something?

HELP ME PLEASE ;)

A1 - you don't get extra screws.
A2 - You are correct the last 4 pins are not used.
A3 - Quickest way to find out if it's on the right way is to connect drive and power on Dreambox. (don't screw in or put cover back on. If you hear the hard drive start then yuo know it's on the rigth way. If you put it on updside it wont start.If there is excess cable, folder it over as best you can.

Can't quite remember as it is a bit since I attached the hard drive.
But isn't there a kind of notch cut out in the connector on the hard drive and a matching "lump" on the ribbon cable from the dm600.
Also if I remember rightly the ribbon cable has a red stripe down one side which is wire one and the hardrive should have pin one marked on it. So your spare pins should be the other end.
Hope this helps.
Wizbit77

will have another look on Sunday - surely though, you need to get the sccrews to hold the hard disk in position, or else will rattle around in there, if you pick up the DM600 for whatever reason?

the screws come with the 600 when you buy it
they should be in the box, if you got a spare back plate with the box then you will find them in the plastic bag with that, 4 little silver screws.
I had mine cellotaped in untill I discovered the screws were hidden with the spare back plate.

when you connect the cable you will have the spare terminals one end, you cant get it wrong really as it will only push on if properly aligned
it will appear funny when you go to screw it back into the box as the ribbon cable is in it's own way and has to fold back on itself to fit in

No screws present in mine. Don't sell them seperately at the computer shop so I ended up taking the harddrive to my local nick nak shop and going through all their selection.
Wizbit77

where we got the 600Ts they leave the swapped satellite backplate as a spare in the box and the harddrive screws are always there in a small plastic bag......they are part of the factory kit with the box and should be inluded...

yeah, working fine.

haven't really taped much yet, so can't comment on the quality of playback yet, presume it will be fine though.

Back