Hardware Buying a new hard drive question

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm old school with the PC in the kitchen but the hard drives giving me a few errors and I'm getting the odd freeze come click so its time to replace. It's been that long since I've bought a new one I wouldn't know a good one from a bad one. Whats a decent enough brand/model for the price ? 320gb-500gb SATA 3.5 is all I need. When I Googled it it said everyone's shit, use chalk and an easel

Hey, can vouch for These got one in my desktop for storage, cheap as chips, yes its a 1tb but the 500gb is same price ish

there hybrids too and the ssd which is very cheap suppose it depends on what is doing.

Focus

You will notice a difference in the speed of the machine and boottime if you get an SSD you can get a 500GB Samsung SSD for about £100. I have a Cosair, Kingston and Samsung SSDs and the Samsung is the best of the lot and was the best value for money.

If you dont want a SSD you can buy a traditional HDD of about 500GB-1TB for about £40-50. I would recommend Western Digital as they give a 3 year warranty with their drives and if you have seen some of the threads on here I created, you will see that they replace faulty drives without any problems

You will notice a difference in the speed of the machine and boottime if you get an SSD you can get a 500GB Samsung SSD for about £100. I have a Cosair, Kingston and Samsung SSDs and the Samsung is the best of the lot and was the best value for money.

If you dont want a SSD you can buy a traditional HDD of about 500GB-1TB for about £40-50. I would recommend Western Digital as they give a 3 year warranty with their drives and if you have seen some of the threads on here I created, you will see that they replace faulty drives without any problems

Yep, better to go with SSD if you don't need huge storage. You'll wonder why you used to store things on spinning rust.

You can get a 240gb ssd cheap! i know you wanted 500gb but you could use a 240gb ssd and store stuff on the cloud. Someone posted a free 50gb cloud storage on earlier on here.

Back