Help - DM500S internet connection - PPPOE/WAN

ruddyrum

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi,

I personally have a dm500s working in the UK and it works a treat! I am currently with family over the holidays in the UAE and have spent the last 3 days setting up a dreambox for them.

I am now stuck on setting up a LAN connection! Even though we use a router here (LAN works fine) we cannot get an internet connection. The ADSL modem connects to the internet via pppoe and according to the dreambox manual (http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/dm500/manual/dm500_s_c_t_manual.pdf - Page 87) to enable pppoe i need to select the WAN option from the menu in expert setup -> communications setup. however i can only see the LAN option.

After extensive research i found someone that suggested that the gemini image 2.1 supports PPP. but i have tried absolutely everything and every image possible and cannot find this WAN option in the communications setup.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Last edited:
I dont think there is a wan option? I've only seen lan, really the box to select wan or lan is not the bit to concentrate on imho. If you dont have net access you need to start with making sure the internal IP, gateway/nameserver & netmask are set correctly in communication set-up.
-IP will usually be something like 192.168.1.5 or similar and dhcp can be ticked for auto. But dhcp should also be selected in your router menu or the box wont be allocated a network ip.
Netmask will be something like 255.255.255.0 but this can depend on your router settings and internet provider.
The gateway & nameserver will usually be the router IP like 192.168.1.1 but this can also be different depending on the internet provider settings.

pppoe is supported but of course you still have to set your correct network settings. Have you tried DCC software (dreambox control centre) to see if that can help you identify your network problem?

the network is fine... i can use enigma, and even record to HDD on my laptop. DCC also works a treat, and i can FTP and telnet to the dreambox. The issue is just getting an internet connection. this is because, the ISP is being wierd - the ISP does not allow sharing of a single connection, therefore LAN is out of the question. You need to use PPPOE on each machine which wants to access the internet.

Is there a PPPoE plugin? or another image other than gemini that supports PPPoE?

Thanks fot he help so far though!

My own lan used to be pppoe but not where i am now, and my parents in spain are set up with pppoe, yet lan/multi-machine net access has never been a problem? I do not understand the "isp not allow sharing connection" bit? Out there do you just have a single usb type modem/router rather than using a router with ethernet ports? If the provider limits the service to 1 machine and 1 ip then this is a different type of service afaik. A bit above my head really but re-distribution controlled by a server operating system software (this is like long range wi-fi providers use in europe).
If it is pppoe broadband then i am not sure why you arent able to have several pc's all using the 1 single pppoe gateway (the router). I still feel it is likely that your dreambox gateway is incorrect, but i'm just trying to help with suggestions as I have not seen a pppoe plugin or a menu with 'wan' option.

Back