Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

heatgun fix, liquid flux or not

dilly1066

VIP Member
VIP Member
hi, im just wondering if other people use that liquid flux when doing the heatgun fix or not ? i have read other people saying it makes a big difference on the xbox lasting longer, what are others thoughts ? thanks

i have never thought of this but got 2 boxes with big recurring problems and maybe would help.
I wouldnt say it would cause any harm anyway
cheers chronoman

when you say liquid flux....is that them Rosin Flux pens you can buy? So take it you mean to just smear the board in it while doing the heat gun over the vital parts?

the liquid flux on ebay and you get a schrindge with it, i think you inject the liquid flux under the cpu or gpu before you heat it, like this you tube video

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2R_NqF5wAc[/ame]

ive never done it but ive read and spoke to people on forums ect who say it makes a difference, so wondered wot the people on here thought / did ?

i haven't used any and used a heat gun, place a couple of socket set type things, one on the cpu and one on the gpu and then blast them for about 30 seconds on low heat then allow to cool.

Once that is done then i heat the whole board on top concentrating on the gpu and the cpu and then flip the board and do the other side, i go across and side to side quickly for about 4 minutes each side.

Of course don't keep the heat gun on any part too long or you'll frazzle it.

I'm just putting together a 4 x RROD one after a heat treatment and i'll let you know how it goes.

Using the liquid flux though probably would be a good idea like.

make sure its a clean flux ...
the other type of flux will corrode your board and cause shorts between the points
the flux only helps the solder flow...
this should help any soldered joints that you are heating

sorry its supposed to say a no clean flux.....
in the video the bloke is using a jbc heat gun
these are not cheap
:Fish:

just bought 1 on egay £10 with syringe cd to explain what to do
and e-mail and phone back up
worth a go got a dead xbox here

saying that i went to a local market today and seen a xbox360 for sale with power supply and video cable with 20gb hdd

fella asked for the price before me
was told £40
i said prob rrod
he said yes and went i got it took it home pluged it in working allready been hacked lol

Wow.. Reflowing any solder, especially BGA you NEED flux. As mentioned, its "no clean flux" that you need.

If you reflow without flux, it will work, but needs considerably more time to reflow, with a greater overall heat. Also, the solder will become dry.

Use a flux pen, or decent liqui flux and you will be amazed at the difference.
Make sure also that you heat the board around the piece that you are working on to at least 80'c. If you heat too quickly, or just plough straight into the GPU, etc without pre heating, you stand a high chance of warping the board.

Proper BGA heat guns can be bought on $bay, etc for £60 ish now.. I.R handheld for around £300 - £500..

I use the Jovy System I.R, but unless you are planning to do a lot of work then it's too expensive.

The link to the flux on $bay will work fine.. Just make sure you get the flux under the chip properly though.

fella asked for the price before me
was told £40
i said prob rrod
he said yes and went i got it took it home pluged it in working allready been hacked lol

Ha awesome man! and unbanned?

daft question alert.

Whats a BGA Heat Gun ? :)

Would something like this not be up for the job?

Clarke CHG1500B - 1500W Hot Air Gun - Machine Mart

I have a 360 coming to me soon so going to attempt to do my first proper heatgun fix (graphic glitches/lockup - no rrod)

That's all i got mate, try and get a one with 2 settings and don't keep it pointed at the same place it'll fry..... there's a video on youtube i'll try and find it and for now seems to be working on a box that was RROD.

The one with 4 x RROD i haven't managed to get put back together been talking...lol might wait till i get that flux....

this is what i followed, looks drastic and i'm sure he has heatgun on full belt but for now 1 box working perfect, it had E74 and it had 5 or 6 attempts to do a RROD on it until i done the below...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO03wLx_Nlg[/ame]

Last edited:
i needed some more thermal paste so thought while i was on egay id get some liquid flux, had good results with heatgun but ive had this one xbox for about 3 months now and ive tried all sorts so i will be impressed if this makes a difference, or then again might just be one of them xboxes, thanks for info and thoughts just what i was looking for when i started the thread, cheers

Back