heatgun fix, liquid flux or not

3 red lights, error code 0102 which is usually a good one to fix, and that error code has never changed,sometimes when you mess with them enough the error code can change cant it to totally different errors,can be funny things xboxes sometimes, ive tried normal xclamp, heat gunned it a couple of times, heat pads, the credit card thing where you put credit card strips around the cpu and gpu still no joy, at first it used to crash every so often while playing games on it, then eventually got to 3 red lights, nightmare xbox lol

yeah had a few me self, it's all a learning curve and luck if they reball and hold together, but after doing a few now i think and i say i think i've sussed it, take loads of time getting the genk of all the GPU and CPU and make sure it's all gone even of the little resistors, then heat a socket set up for 30 - 40 seconds on each of the chips allow to cool, then blast the bottom and the top of the board as shown in the video i posted.

Then when i get that flux i'll also use that (which of course will help)

I'm no expert and i have had many a box in the early days so i've kind of fixed 70% now, but it's getting better.

good luck with it mate.

When me mate gets a reball workstation we should have a better chance, for now i can get it done for £40 no fix no pay and that's 3 month g/tee with it....just want me mate to get one and start it, takes about an hour to reball the chip.

I was amazed to find that the chips don't actually have legs like computer CPU's and they just sit on balls of solder, how cheap is M$

yeah ill have ago at that m8, im gona w8 for the liquid flux to come first which like you said should help, thanks

well i haven't used any of that solder stuff yet as haven't got it but brought a 4 x RROD and an E74 back to life so far, so taking your time, cleaning the heatsinks with some emery cloth so it's nice and clean and no grooves etc in them and then following what i've already posted seems to be working.

my liquid flux came today so im gona have ago at that stubborn xbox i have, fingers crossed it will do the job

my liquid flux came today so im gona have ago at that stubborn xbox i have, fingers crossed it will do the job

you tried doing the heatgun fix and then pushing down on the smaller chip for a minute or so until it begins to cool? i had load sof trouble with one of mine and tried this and it managed to fix it

held mine down with edge of tea towel for about 3 mins straight after heating it up

well tried the flux, put it back together tried turning it on and nothing, power pack light went straight to green but back to amber in a split second, so i unscrewed the screws abit on the gpu side turned it on it turned on but then i hurd like a shorting out noise,next thing loads of smoke started coming off it, lifted it up quickly as it was on top of another xbox and there was a tiny little flame i had to blow out, **** bloody believe it lol, ive had this for about 3 or 4 months now with out been able to fix it and after this i think its safe to say its dead , thanks for the tip on pushing down on chip might try that next time i have a stubborn xbox, thanks

ah shizz man, so after putting that liquad flux on it what did you do? heat with a heat gun etc? it's shorted it out hasn't it?

How long did you heat gun it for mate?

I am far from being an expert but surely reflowing with flux is asking for trouble?

With the chips floating on solder then I can't see how fluxing those balls can end in anything but tears !

Am I missing something ?

it's supposed to help the solder make a connection rather than shorting out the board, maybe a blast from a heat gun and then let to stand for 24 hours would have helped, just waiting for the OP to report back on what he done andhow long for...

ive done 3 xbox360 this way all still working.when u do the flux always allow it to evaporate first b4 applying the heat always left for 30 minutes .might help some of u trying this method

Re: heat gun fix, liquid flux or not

So are you saying after applying the flux like in the video posted earlier that you then allow to dry for 30 minutes before applying the heat gun treatment and then allow to stand again?

hi guys sorry first time i been able to get on dw today, right i striped it all down cleaned all paste so chips and surrondings were totally clean, then i applied the flux as shown in the video then wiped up all the excess flux, i waited about 20 minutes i reckon, then i heat gunned the xbox, this was at about half past 5, then i went back to it just after 11 and put it partly back together then the fire started lol,
i sent an email to the guy who i got the flux off on ebay which is guy in video and he replied (i dint tell him bout fire i just asked a couple of questions)

Hi there,

The procedure doesn't really change much once the flux is applied, you don't let it dry so just start heatgunning right away and you'll find the flux will have activated and dried by the time you are done.

Well i'm still waiting for mine coming in the post, but i think you should of replied saying "that it shorted the board and nearly killed you! lol"

Did you heat blast the bottom and the top of the board as well mate? and far how long?

results like this make me cringe when think I'm going to attempt my first proper rrod fix in a couple of weeks lol (well ok its not rrod but gpu is going crazy distorting screen on mates box)

Just take your time and have a read through this thread there's some good reading in it, make sure it's nice and clean and give it some TLC....good luck man

i gave it about a minute on the bottom of mobo, just like up and down motions left right etc and then sometimes just hold it over where the cpu and gpu would be for a few seconds, then about 3 minutes on top of the mobo doing the same thing, im abit wiery now to be honest for obviously reasons, i dont no whether to try it again or not as ive just got 2 more xboxs to do,

well when me flux comes i'll try one i and report back....then if it breaks we can get back to the fella...

Back