hdtv connections?

sargie

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking of getting a hd plasma tv later this year and was wondering how many hd inputs a standard set has?with many devices now being able to transmit hd images obviously more than one would be better.

if they dont come with more than one port how would you connect more than one hd device?

I think the most recent screens have 2 hdmi sockets but dont hold me to it. I know it doesn't make a lot of sense, seeing as my old CRT had 3 scart sockets.

The only other option is to buy a hdmi hub or a AV amp with hdmi switching if you need more.

HDMI hub

Last edited:
Yeah a lot of tellies now have 2 as standard. But not all things will be in HD, for example your video recorder will always connect via a scart. You can also connect through a component cable and get hd output on your telly. this is the way i have connected my xbox 360 and get an output of 1125i

hmm dont fancy shelling out £129 for the hub im aslo confused is hdmi the same as hd but just a different type of port then im guessing it means.

high definition multimedia interface?

so do you just get a hdmi converter for the 360's hd cables?

As far as I'm aware, there is no hdmi convertors for 360, only if they decide to release a Ver 2 box with hdmi which is rumoured (or BS) - see other link in this forum.
You can get cheaper hdmi switching but as krystalbouncy says, you could connect it using the current HDTV leads supplied from MS or Monster that are component and you get just as good picture imo and won't be missing out on much if anything on the picture quality compared to hdmi, unless of course you're going 50" plus HDTV!

I think you're confusing yourself with the terms. HDMI is just the type of cable that carries sound and picture. HD is the spec of the screen which should be a minimum of 1024 x 768 (720P) for High def. Wouldn't advise getting a 1080P screen as yet unless you;re getting it for a good price as you will only notice a difference if you're going for a really big size (50" +) and sitting a good distance away.

Last edited:
If it's later this year mate, I would have thought 1080p screens that size would be the norm anyway. Things move on so quick. Would have thought prices dropped too.
All depends on how long you intend to keep replacing your screen. I would imagine the one you buy is gonna be not replaced for sometime as not many people have money to burn.
If you can wait til later in the year then, go for the 1080P screen. All depends on cost at the end of the day...
I only got a 720p/1080i screen but more than happy with it using xbox. When HD stuff becomes the norm and blu-ray/hddvd has come down in price, only then would I consider upgrading to a better screen, but thats way off for me.

Have you managed to see any mates setup yet with 42 HD screen and xbox?

You want the Panasonic 37" or 42" Viera Plasma, it has 2 HDMI sockets.

HDMI Input is the Best
then
Component

yeah i think i am gonna go for the 37 inch as 42 would probably be to big for my living room

i got a 42" philips plasma and it does'nt have the av hd connections to connect my x box to which i had to buy a converter to get it to connect to the hdmi slot but the signal was not being picked up as hd onthe tv,so now the xbox has it's own 32"lcd hd "thankyou father christmas"

Purple Snake issue with Panny PX60

Be aware there is a specific problem affecting certain models in this range known as the purple snakes (no its not a wind up).

It affects the PX60 (37" and 42") and I believe the PX600 range. Been lots of discussion about it on av forum.
Basically, during dark scenes on some movies, purple lines appear as shading, snaking across the screen. Panasonic are aware of this issue and are trying to resolve it with a software fix.

Just thought I would give you a heads up on it before you think about purchasing.

Last edited:
I have read that also, but it appears it was from an mid 2006 batch.

I plan to buy mine from the Panny shop in town:)

I have read that also, but it appears it was from an mid 2006 batch.

I think you'll find that's incorrect. People who are buying this model now (December) are still experiencing this problem. Also heard some shops are now saying the model is discontinued. Whether thats true or not or perhaps the problem is bigger than we think and Panasonic are pulling this model and told shops to say this.

Just be aware.

hmm ive seen one of these going in argos and it has a dvd player running through it showing off different scenes some that are dark and so on seemed fine to me. maybe it only affects the odd set.

Yeh mate, I' not saying it affects every set. Just making you aware as you're the one spending the hard earned dosh.
Got to admit, seen it myself in JL Reading on the pedestal and it looks the biz. Some people have wall mounted them too and looks ok.

Back