HDMI Problems

lambie4

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi guys

Earlier my server was down so I restarted my Openbox S9 by pressing the red button to turn off then red button to turn on. When the box rebooted there was no picture on the TV from the HDMI port. It has been driving me nuts all day! Here's what I have tried:

Pressed V Format button repeatedly
Different HDMI Cable
Dfferent TV
Opened box to check HDMI connection hadn't come away from the board

I can see the TV picture using a scart but of course then I lose all HD capability. Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong or what I could try?

Cheers!!

Lambie

You should change the video output to YUV
Menu »» system setup»»tv system

edogg

Hi edogg

Sorry should have said that I checked and it is in YUV. I press the V Format button and can see the box window cycle through 720i, 1080i etc but nothing on screen

cheers

just tried a complete reflash. still nothing.

i'm baffled!:grayno:

It only has one hdmi port. I put the tv onto the hdmi channel and turn on the box.

Have you tried it on another TV, or another HDMI device in the port?

Just tried it again on another tv. Cycled through the v format button. Still nothing grr

Yeah there are 2 scart sockets and one hdmi. I can see a picture through the scart port but not through the hdmi port

Yeah there are 2 scart sockets and one hdmi. I can see a picture through the scart port but not through the hdmi port

So - (as post #5) - how does your TV(s) select the input to display?

It looks as if the TV is set to look for a SCART input not the HDMI - worth a look at the TV's Setup screen anyway.

hi cascara
i manually select what input to look for. When i want hdmi i select HDMI. it hasn't been working so to see anything I have to plug in the scart and go to AVI1 on the TV.

This is so stange. it was working fine, i rebooted the box and then nothing came back on the screen!!!

Use the SCART to have a look at the TV Setup screen to make sure that the HDMI input is set properly - 1080i usually.

If that looks all right start the Openbox Menu > TV System and set the Video Resolution to 576i. Follow that by then setting the Video Out to RGB. Then exit and switch the box off. Remove the SCART and replace the HDMI cable. Restart and you should have the SD resolution on the TV but coming via the HDMI cable (I have to do just that to use an RF modulator to carry a signal to a second TV).

If that works go to the Openbox TV System menu again and change Video Out from RGB to YUV. When the menu comes back it will show the Video Resolution as 1080i - 60 this should be changed to 1080i - 50.

Let us know the results - good luck!

Last edited:
grr still nothing.

followed your instructions exactly.

this is starting to get annoying!

One tv I tried said no signal. The other tv I tried stayed as a blue screen

you must have a fault on the openbox hdmi output if the problem persists through different tv's and cables then the only thing left is the output !! contact your supplier as they are supposed to have 12month guarantee !!

edogg

One tv I tried said no signal. The other tv I tried stayed as a blue screen

We are at cross purposes!

What I was expecting was what your TV had for the HDMI setting - usually accessed from the TV Menu and then Setup for each input.

As @edogg said it looks to be a duff chip or connector but checking the setting on the TV was still correct would confirm that.

think it's looking like something more sinister. i've emailed the supplier but they are in china. if they ask me to pay for postage back it might end up on ebay as spares! To be honest it's in the back room and the wife is the one who uses it mostly. she doesn't notice the difference between sd and hd. women!

you can take the circuit board out and then the postage will only be about £5 but they then want about £35 to post a new one back so if your wife is happy i would just leave it on the scart output
soaps dont deserve HD anyway

edogg

Back