HDD Partition

hnj

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi,
got an Acer Aspire L320, which is intel viiv, 1gb ram, 1.6ghz, this is my dad's pc and so i don't remember if it comes partitioned from the manufacturer, is it safe for me to delete the partition since, it is 69gb on normal hdd and like 69gb is another drive (which is the parition i think) which 69gb as well. So by deleting this will it mean i will get about 150gb in the normal hdd? also thinking of putting on windows 7 on this pc, would it run smoothly on it? did windows 7 advisor and results say it should run fine.

thanks
help appreciated
hnj

yes you can delete the partition then what you need to do is extend the c: partition, it can be done via device manager then storage!

no problems will be caused to the hdd or the pc will it? this is how it looks:
Also after this installing windows 7 should not caused any problems right?

View attachment 57339

no problems will be caused to the hdd or the pc will it? this is how it looks:
Also after this installing windows 7 should not caused any problems right?

View attachment 57339
just delete data d: mate 1st, backing up anything on that drive at obviously it will be deleted, then extend c: drive and thats it mate, wont effect a new install no as a fresh install will use c: to install as thats the main partition as default.

Reactions: hnj
mines is an acer too m8.

i extended the c drive and it doesn't cause any problems at all. (thanks to big hols advice)

acer seem to partition all their hd's.

Thanks guys, i really appreciate your help big-hold, you helped me out with my boc last time with server testing and now with computer, thanks ever so much, just did it and my hdd is now 150gb, thats perfect saves the hassle of it being filled up. i will definetly click the scales you deserve it mate :) i think my pc is partiioned like this as well will go up and do it on that too :) its a dell im sure it should be ok as well?

thanks mate
really appreciate help
hnj

Thanks guys, i really appreciate your help big-hold, you helped me out with my boc last time with server testing and now with computer, thanks ever so much, just did it and my hdd is now 150gb, thats perfect saves the hassle of it being filled up. i will definetly click the scales you deserve it mate :) i think my pc is partiioned like this as well will go up and do it on that too :) its a dell im sure it should be ok as well?

thanks mate
really appreciate help
hnj
no probs mate glad to help, yeah if the pc is partitioned the same you can do it to that too no problem at all!

thanks mate
really appreciate help
hnj

m8,
i had an acer for 2 years with a 320 gig hd that was partioned down the middle more or less.
i was wondering why the thing kept filling up so quick but took me two years to notice the partition lol..

big hol sorted mine out as well....

m8,
i had an acer for 2 years with a 320 gig hd that was partioned down the middle more or less.
i was wondering why the thing kept filling up so quick but took me two years to notice the partition lol..

big hol sorted mine out as well....

he is very helpful, i really appreciate help from people like him :), him, Digidude, JTH, bally, sooooooo many others are the kind of people that make this forum what it really is.
the best source for knowledge gotta say.

thanks guys
hnj

just a quick note to say why its a good idea to have multiple partitions rather than 1 big c: partition.

if you have 1 partition c: drive and you ever want to back it up it will take forever.

the way i setup systems is

c: operating system 30G
d: applications 30G
e: data (the rest)

if you backup your data e: elsewhere that is then safe, c: and d: at those sizes can be backed up to a compressed image with (ghost, acroins, drive image etc) and saved.

if your system becomes unstable or trashed by virus or maleware that the normal tools cant sort then a quick recovery can be done to just the c: and d: drive leaving your data safe and untouched.

if you have one big c: this is not possible/practical

virtually all apps allow you to install anywhere and just change the c:\program file\abd to d:\program files\abd will install away from c: also most apps let you change the default save to anything so change this to e:\data\etc

Back