HD via vga???

billy_boy786

Inactive User
Reaction score
ok peeps, share your knowlege with me...

bought a 42" HD ready LG TV the other day (42LC2D to be exact) and not been able to find what HD it supports as in 720p 1080p/i. hw do i find out? also can i transmit HD signal via vga? (download hd video on laptop and hook it up 2 tv via vga, will it play in HD?)

Cheers, Billy

bought a 42" HD ready LG TV the other day (42LC2D to be exact) and not been able to find what HD it supports as in 720p 1080p/i. hw do i find out? also can i transmit HD signal via vga? (download hd video on laptop and hook it up 2 tv via vga, will it play in HD?)

Cheers, Billy
it suports
720 and 1080

but to watch hd u would need to transfer it from ur pc via a hdmi cable

Your VGA cable is fine mate, however I suppose it all depends on wether or not your TV has a VGA socket.

I watch HDTV movies using both HDMI and VGA cables, I can't really see any difference in picture quality.

My TV has 2 x HDMI, 1 x VGA, 1 x Component, 4 x RGB SCART, 1 x S-Video....and a few more :)

Last edited:
But does the VGA send over 1080p signals? Intrested to know as just blow £800 on a laptop with HDMI output?

Your VGA cable is fine mate, however I suppose it all depends on wether or not your TV has a VGA socket.

I watch HDTV movies using both HDMI and VGA cables, I can't really see any difference in picture quality.

My TV has 2 x HDMI, 1 x VGA, 1 x Component, 4 x RGB SCART, 1 x S-Video....and a few more :)

Thanx for the info m8. TV does have VGA socket, and a hdmi socket. never used the hdmi socket as i have nothing that supports hdmi (yet), so was wondering if i can get HD quality via VGA. ive never seen anything in HD so i wouldnt know if the what i get through VGA is HD or not.

HDTV is any resolution over 1280x720, GFX cards these days are designed to support the two main HDTV resolutions of 1280x720 and 1920x1080 (older cards can have their drivers updated to include these resolutions as default), if your GFX card can support these resolutions then it's simply a matter of plugging the VGA lead into the back of your TV and enjoying the results.

Personally I use a DVI - HDMI (1280x720p), but I also have it setup for DVI - VGA (1280x720p),I can see no noticable differences between the two (some people say they can, some people say they don't - this is a hotly debated argument)

thats a revelation to me and welcome relief - if true that a VGA output (PC) can provide as good a HD signal to a HD TV as one could get from a HDMI output and cable - means some of us with ageing PC's can enjoy HD - fab !!

......as long as your aging pc has enough prcessing power to decode the HDTV signals! :)

On thing to remember tough
There will be no copy protection code in that signal.
If you get a HDDVD or Bluray ROM drive in your pc HDCP authorisation thingymabob will not let u play full HD on the TV (probably a way around this somehow but havent looked into it as my built in HDMI motherboard has on chip HDCP support).

Just a thought, it might never effect you!

Cheers, Billy

If the TV has an HD Ready label it supports a minimum of 720p and 1080i and has an HDCP enabled HDMI socket.

Full HD sets support 1080p.

HD can be achieved using a variety of cables.

HDMI, DVI, VGA and component can all be used to carry HD video but only HDMI can be used to carry HD Video and audio.

HDTV is any resolution over 1280x720, GFX cards these days are designed to support the two main HDTV resolutions of 1280x720 and 1920x1080 (older cards can have their drivers updated to include these resolutions as default), if your GFX card can support these resolutions then it's simply a matter of plugging the VGA lead into the back of your TV and enjoying the results.

Personally I use a DVI - HDMI (1280x720p), but I also have it setup for DVI - VGA (1280x720p),I can see no noticable differences between the two (some people say they can, some people say they don't - this is a hotly debated argument)

It's the old digital vs analogue debate rearing its ugly head again.

Both have advantages/disadvantages and for most people the difference isn't noticeable.

heheh I wasnt going to touch on that ;) analogue vs Digital.

try putting 1 row of white pixels and 1 row of black ones next to each other with analogue!

saying that, not going to do that often ;)

I have the 32LC2D and it's 720p/1080i. I use 1280x720 with a vga cable and the picture is great. Keep meaning to change to a dvi to hdmi but vga works perfectly fine as far as I can see.

apparently the 42LC2D supports 1:1 pixel mapping via both HDMI and VGA. as it is a 1366x768 panel, use whiich ever cable you have and set the resolution to either 1360x768 and have a 3pixel black border down both sides of the screen or set to 1368x768 and lose 1pixel of both sides of the screen. Either way picture will be as good as a pc monitor running at its native res.

If using vga, and you want to watch bluray/hddvd just download and install anydvdhd and you don't have to worry about the hdcp reducng the resolution of the movie.

you could always download some HD trailers from http://www.drfoster.f2s.com/trailers_hd-dvd.shtml watch em via your pc/laptop using vga, and compare them by playing on an xbox360 using component or hdmi if uve got an elite. but generally i watch loads of HD stuff downloaded on pc using vga and quality is superb no real need for hdmi output on pc.

my tv dopesnt support VGA at full HD resol;ution, its somewhere in between 720 and 1080, which is odd/silly.

Back