Hawthorn, needs a major trim, HELP!!!

daveleebond

Inactive User
Reaction score
I have never had a green thumb, but will give anything a go.

The hedge surround part of my property, 20m long and it about 8ft high, want to trim it down to about 4/5ft.

Have cut it back the best I could with some borrowed petrol hedge trimmers but some of the branches are 1-2" thick.

I did consider a chain saw but value my life too much.

I have some long handled loppers but would take an age.

Any tool advice, help???????

A chainsaw would not be alot of good on anything that thin. because of the risk of it springing back with the flex in the hawthorn.

its ok so sned a tree (remove the branches from the trunk), because the bar and running chain should be on the opposite side to your legs for users with little experience.

Keeping the trunk between you and the saw!

Good old fashioned ratchet loppers will give a good clean cut, leaving a neat wound.

Some people dont like them as they reckon they bruise the wood.

You can buy these with extending handles.

You could use a curved pruning saw blade that fits in a long pole handle.

I have one by wolf tools that fits in various lengths of handle.

You may be able to hire a Pole saw (along pole with Engine at one end and a micro chain chainsaw on the end).

You cant hire chainsaws without the relevant tickets, but some places are a bit more laxed with pole saws.

As to operate it its away from your body, so less danger to the operator.

If you have vehicle access on the outside, then hire someone with a tractor mounted , Side arm flail.

Can be a brutal on Hawthorn as the flails smashs and splinters the timber.

The other alternative is pay someone to finish the job, most people wont be keen on doing this as you have already started the job.

Back