hands free kit

IANB

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody gened on car radios? I have fitted a mobile incar hands free kit and need to not wich wire to connect the mute radio wire from the kit to the radio.
The radio is a traffic 2000 factory fitted to a new ford transit.
Any help would be appreiciated.

I can't remember what wire it is , even if there is one at all! But. You can check by getting a test light (12 volt bulb with wires on it) and grounding one end and with the other (with the radio on) start probing into the wires on the back of the stereo. It will be in the plug that contains the power wires. Don't worry, as long as you use a 12volt bulb you will do no damage. When you hit the right wire the radio will mute. If none of the wires do this, then try pushing your test light into any spare wire hole that may be in the plug. Sometimes they don't even wire it for you! If this is the case you can normally just push the wire from your car kit into the hole and hold it in place with a tie wrap.:)

good first post m8 cheers for the info
I take it the mute cable that comes from the hands free kit is just a route to ground when the phone is active?

It is a VERY low negative output. Assuming that you are using a Nokia kit or other original make kit. If you cannot find a mute wire then you can cut the power wire to the radio using a relay. If you need to know how to do this just post and i will send you a pic!;)

nice one aka2 ;)

Glad to help. This is my field of work , also stereos and alarms ,trackers,central locking and all that stuff. Anyone got any probs and i'll take a look at them for you. :)

yet another new member comes up with goods.
well done m8,

owenzy.
:Clap:

Back