handcuffing a child

The Police should never have had to do anything more than turn up. The child obviously has no sense of respect and the only people to blame are the parents. They're probably the kind who would threaten to sue if this happened to their beloved, sweet, innocent child.

If the nursery was worth its salt the police should never had been called think about it ,police called to an incident involving adults and a five year old the leadership seems very weak, why was it recorded on tape! the nursery need to get their act together,oK she was being naughty there may be problems at home,she could have been tired from a late night maybe her parents arn't good parents what prompted me to comment was the distress in the childs voice when they man handled her SHE IS ONLY FIVE YEARS OLD.

So what would you have done, let the kid do as much damage as she wanted, even kick or punch the teacher, until she was too tired and then sit her down and praise her for stopping.

It was good that she was being recorded so that she couldnt turn round and accuse the teacher of assaulting her. Because thats the sort of thing teachers face these days. If you try and be strict with kids all they do is turn round and say that they will tell their parents you hit them, or even worse. The accuasation is the only thing thats needed to ruin a good career.

I dont care thats she only 5 years old. She's old enough to know that when an adult tells you to stop doing something you should STOP doing it.

Only problem I had with it is that she could have been cuffed more comfortably with her hands at the front.
She obviously was violent,prob due to her upbringing,so restraining her was right.I'm sure those who would sue would be keen to sue if this child battered theirs in class crying 'why wasn't she restrained?' Police have to be involved cos teachers have no powers because.....they'll get sued for trying to discipline.
She wasn't just being naughty or disruptive - she was a violent threat,not to the teacher but as said,that could have been another child.
Difficulties or not,they cannot be allowed to get away with that behaviour. I thought teacher did best she could. The kid soon whimpered when justice was done,hopefully she will learn from it.
If that was my kid I would not have a problem,only with my comment at the top.Discipline is paramount to me for kids and I'm not talking beating them,more taking away things they like or removing them from activities when they play up.
The more Little shits carry on being little shits,the more big shits there are to deal with when older.It does stem from parenting and there's too many irresponsible parents.
A Fair Cop I reckon

a little slap on the back of the head would have stoped this 20 years ago.

Cant do that these days though.

So what would you have done, let the kid do as much damage as she wanted, even kick or punch the teacher, until she was too tired and then sit her down and praise her for stopping.

It was good that she was being recorded so that she couldnt turn round and accuse the teacher of assaulting her. Because thats the sort of thing teachers face these days. If you try and be strict with kids all they do is turn round and say that they will tell their parents you hit them, or even worse. The accuasation is the only thing thats needed to ruin a good career.

I dont care thats she only 5 years old. She's old enough to know that when an adult tells you to stop doing something you should STOP doing it.

Stop putting adult values on this she is only five years old with the sound of it you have first hand experience, five years old.

Stop putting adult values on this she is only five years old with the sound of it you have first hand experience, five years old.

Any five year old should be aware of the need to behave in order to function in society. That's why most countries start Primary school at about that age.

Adult values? This has nothing to do with adult values. These are basic human values, without which society couldn't function.

The child needed temporary restraint, for her safety and the safety of others. The parents need to be locked up for abandoning their responsibilities to the child.

i know i have 5 times over and sorry mate my kids would never behave like that.. the kids a little brat end off ... wonder what her parents r like..
maybe her parents need to learn to bring kids up in stead of whatever there doing.... another 10 yrs whats this child going to be like if left to do this.
so how would you of delt with it.?. if u was in the place of the teacher ?

Last edited:

At what age should we start to teach our kids how to behave in society?

And yes I have experience of both ends, being a father of 5, now adults, and being a relief teacher for some years (many moons ago I may add).

Last edited:
If I was the teacher I would have got the fire hose out and blasted her down the corridor like sommick out of the jimmy boyle movie.

On a serious note I thought the teacher handled the situation really well although the police are total morons as per usual she was scared and calm when the knicked her for crimal damage lol

What can one do ? bar say the kid,s parents must be knackers

The child needed temporary restraint, for her safety and the safety of others.

But dont you think handcuffs are a bit extreme...............

The child needed temporary restraint, for her safety and the safety of others.
and how would of u done this ??
in this day of age ..... come on fella its down to her parents to bring her up right ..or dont drop them. the kid thinks she can do what she like's.dont know how the teacher kept her cool. wonder if her parents are suing the police know lol
also at 5 yrs old arnt u in infants school?? at that age the child should know how to behave....... well most av seen do

Last edited:
i know i have 5 times over and sorry mate my kids would never behave like that.. the kids a little brat end off ... wonder what her parents r like..
maybe her parents need to learn to bring kids up in stead of whatever there doing.... another 10 yrs whats this child going to be like if left to do this.
so how would you of delt with it.?. if u was in the place of the teacher ?

The teacher should have basically gone down to her level, most adults dont posses this skill few are gifted with it she could have brought her out of the tantrum and defused the situation instead of calling the police, Sack her..

and how would of u done this ??
in this day of age ..... come on fella its down to her parents to bring her up right ..or dont drop them. the kid thinks she can do what she like's.dont know how the teacher kept her cool. wonder if her parents are suing the police know lol
also at 5 yrs old arnt u in infants school?? at that age the child should know how to behave....... well most av seen do

Sorry that line was from another post which I included in mine .........

The teacher should have basically gone down to her level, most adults dont posses this skill few are gifted with it she could have brought her out of the tantrum and defused the situation instead of calling the police, Sack her..
do you work in a school or no any 1 that does mate. ? am not being funny but have you ever physicley* or mentaly tried to come down to a child's level that is like this ?
also in the same envirment as they were in ?
she calmed down as soon as she heard the police coming and then she poo'd her self to be polite
the child is playing it even at that age ..
as i sed give her ten yrs whats she going to be like then ?

What else would you expect from the Yanks?

Wheres Joe Frost when you need her, little brat would of been on the naughty step constantly.

I really cant believe the world we now live in!!

That kid needs to learn a lesson and big time. If that was my kid I can assure u that she wouldnt sit for a week. Too many goody too shoes out there now saying we cant do this and we cant do that. That girl is old enough to understand that what she was doing was wrong full stop.

The teacher is unable to restrain her due to the mere fact that she is fearful for any pressing charges or sueing her for assault should she hold or restrain the child in the wrong way. The girl even at one point put her first up to threaten her. You can see alot more has gone on on the room was trashed.

As for the coppers putting on the handcuffs, again If i was them i would have done the same for many reasons, first it protects me and the child. There is no chance the child could lash out and hit me, by doing this it prevent s me having to get 'heavy' with her trying to restrain her should she begin lashing out. this again stops assult charges being raised and anyone sueing anyone. It also teachers her that what she has done is wrong and now faces the consequences (arnt that what the police are for).

I think this country has gone mad. we all know the difference between right and wrong but somehow the people who do wrong get away with it with lighter sentences just because our prisions are full. Instead of sending money abroud as 'charity' why the hell not build more prisions and make life in there a damn site much harder so that people dont want to ever go back inside

bring back the cane, and national service i say too and get rid of the human rights laws. What rights should any convicted murder or rapist have??

Back