hacking wifi

OK.. say u have 1 AP and 1 wireless client that's connect to the AP.

Hacker can do a scan and see devices in the area. It's easy to see what client is attached to which AP using SSID and channel information. Then hacker can use the same MAC address using very easy to use and easy to find MAC changer. The hacker can then get on the network etc...

yuk, thanks for that. So .....since I have you online - what sort of preotection would you recommend ?

Last edited:
WPA2 if you can..

But not all my devices support that level... so I use WPA-PSK (Personal) with a strong passphrase using numbers, characters and upper/lowercase.

I hide my SSID (but this isn't that bigger deal), MAC filtering (just as a deturrent) and make sure I don't run a DHCP server and use static IP's instead.

Then each device on the network is locked down / firewalled in case someone does get on the network (i.e they won't be able to do anything)

I also check the logs on my wireless AP whenever I remember to see if anyone has attempted to gain access - but if they MAC spoof you can't tell unless they use a unique IP :)

But that's about it.... if you are worried anymore about people hacking your wireless after all the above security, then wireless is NOT for you and you should be running a wired network and keep all equipment in ultra secure areas with a fire proof safe containing SAN's for your data...

OK maybe a bit OTT. lol

you realise you can attack an AP or wireless router to force/kick a wireless client off the network long enough to attach the the hackers cloned device?

it goes like this:

1) Scan the area and get MAC of wireless client
2) attack AP / wireless router and force off client (note: you don't need to be on the network)
3) before the legit client re-attaches to the network, hacker jumps in using their spoofed MAC.
4) legit client is then not on network and cannot attach to network cos hacker is using MAC on AP/router

(We are talking about MAC filtering only - not any encryption aren't we?)

Sorry had to leave work so didn't have a chance to say that kicking someone off a wireless point of access is known as the "deauth attack".

Have a google, it's likely that you'll find this type of attack in the "hacking WEP" section of websites - quite apt being in this thread ;)

very interesting, thanks for all of this.

Was playing around last week with cracking wep using backtrack (hobby) but seems like only about 10 wireless cards are supported and its getting to be more trouble than its worth as I don't have the right cards.

I guess you guys have all been there and done this.

Presume Mary still correct, both can't be on at same time with same mac ?

Back