hacking wifi

SEXYSAM

Inactive User
Reaction score
I recently watched a program called the Hustler on BBC3, in which they hacked into peoples wifi, by parking outside their house and using an easily avilable software connected on to the customers network and watched exactly what they were doing.

Out of pure interst, I want to try it on my nephews wifi to see if it really works. If it does,can anyone explain how to stop it, as i use a laptop at home, which has a lot of confidential information in relation to my work.

Thanks

Thanks for that mate. I have WEP Encrypted my Linksys router

WPA is better to use than WEP, also remember if you want to remain invisible turn off SSID Broadcast

WPA is better to use than WEP, also remember if you want to remain invisible turn off SSID Broadcast

If you're going to use any kind of encryption then it is just about pointless turning off SSID broadcast. Anyone who's going to try and crack your encryption will be able to see the AP straight away anyway...

its not just one program. best thing to do use is probally backtrack

backtrack 2.0. its a linux cd. download it and burn it to a cd. theres quite a few guides on the net

Netstumbler is a favourite tool for sniffing out WiFi access points, both private and public.
Do a google on "wifi sniffer".

Anyone with any wireless component on their network NEEDS TO enable one of the access methods available on their hardware (WEP etc).

If you don't do this, this is what can happen:

Your Access point will be publicly available to anyone with a wifi device, within the range of your antenna, this includes some cellphones as well as most laptops.
With open access, anyone can then join your LAN and use your ISP account without you knowing. The WiFi port will grant access to your broadband account and if you have ANY shared devices of HDDs in your LAN then these will also be available to a passing visitor.

This opens up a can-of-worms that you had best get the lid back on.

Your drives and data are open to abuse. Your bandwidth can be used by anyone, for any purpose and it all gets logged in your account logs at the ISP.

Open WAP points are a hackers favourite method of getting free and untracable bandwidth and the innocent account holder is left to explain the illegal activities on their account.

You may as well leave the front door open all day while you are out of the
house.

A) Always use the MAC filter in your router
B) Absent a router, ALWAYS set the security options on a WAP to ON
C) Use the available security options (eg WAP)
D) Disable the WAN port on the router when you are not planning to use the machine for a while (eg overnight) - this will also (usually) give you a fresh IP address each morning which is another level of security that you may not appreciate.

Last edited:
I have just started reading a very good book on WiFi stuff

It's called "WarDriving and Wireless Penetration Testing"
ISBN: 159749111X

Goto your local Borders and have a seat ;) well worth a browse through

hacking wi-fi is easy but once you have gained access to the network you cant just view the desktops of other machines on the network,
to do this you would need to hack that particular machine, bypassing antivirus and firewall then install a remote admin tool.
it would be easy if the administrator account on the target machine had no password and had terminal services running but thats highly unlikely these days :)

FEAR: you said,
hacking wi-fi is easy but once you have gained access to the network you cant just view the desktops of other machines on the network,
to do this you would need to hack that particular machine, bypassing antivirus and firewall then install a remote admin tool.
it would be easy if the administrator account on the target machine had no password and had terminal services running but thats highly unlikely these days

By using Netstumber and Ethereal, in combination, you can actually SEE THE INDIVIDUAL packets, in plain text, that are being transmitted around your LAN, this INCLUDES passwords, etc. AND SO CAN MATEY IN THE CAR OUTSIDE....

Sorry but YOU CAN AND DO gain access to other machines on the network, any HDD that is set to be a network share is compromised. We set up drives for (say) music to be accessable from within our network, and a WiFi intruder IS INSIDE your network. WiFi access is the "inside" (LAN side) of the router - and XP desktop firewalls usuall allow any of your local IP (eg 192.168...) addresses to have free access.

And,anti-virus is not part of this picture at all.
Firewalls won't help as the hacker who is accessing your network via WiFi is ON YOUR NETWORK and your network devices thinks that he/she is a local machine rather than somebody sitting in a car (or next door) who is using your bandwidth.

Irrespective of other devices on your network, the intruder can just access the router / wap and go straight to the Internet/WAN and download whatever they want.

Your passwords and personal data are at risk, how many of us do internet banking, pay with a credit card - most if not all of this info is in a folder somewhere in your network....

Picture this scenario:

Matey parks up near your house, fires up a laptop and connects to the internet through your router.
Matey then starts up BitComet and starts to download the entire collection of Elvis - (a big download).
He slips the laptop under the seat and goes off to work in his car-sharing scheme. The laptop will download all day - hogging your bandwidth.

Your ISP gets a call from the copyright people and are shown evidence that your IP has downloaded megabucks of music from P2P sites.
Or worse, how about dodgy sex-sites ?
You will be blamed for whatever happens....

You can't explain, you are toast...

Last edited:
mate the point i was trying to make is that gaining access to a w/lan doesnt automatically let you view the desktops of other machines
and like i said in order to do this quietly you would need to gain access to that machine and install a backdoor/rat that allows you to view the desktop (hence bypassing firewall and av detection)
obviously if there are open unprotected shares this will make it easier and if not there are more lan hacking methods than you can shake a shitty stick at but its not as simple as they make it look on tv :)

PS, Matey didnt count on my network monitor telling me there is an unknown machine that has managed to get connected to my lan and while his system files are being deleted theres 12 stone of angry FEAR running towards his car with an aluminium baseball bat :stickout:

aicrack

you can hack wifi via AirCrack for windows.. u can find it on google ect... but you'll be wasting you time.. on Linux its easy but on windows.. you'l be there forever tryna pick up enough IV's to crack the wep key.. So my advice if your on windows.. dnt bother.. on Linux then its piss easy..

EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY

I have just started this little project to see if I can get into my own wep system.

So far .. downloaded backtrack 2. Boot laptop with it. Use ndiswrapper to make linux see the linksys pcmcia card.

Haven't gotten round to the fun bit yet but hope to do so this week. Will post full instructions once its all up and running.

WPA is also crackable. Best bet for your own seciruty is the mac filter I think. Thats what I use.

How so ? (assuming they cant get into the house) Do a fake AP thing ?

Back