Hacking WEP

thanks, mines a cheap one so will give it a go in linux

Im gonna give this a try also,,with all the problem im avin with sly broadband at the moment.

Nice 1 thanks everyone for the info managed to crack a network,took about 6 hours...cheers

would use aircrack-ptw, much fater then aircrack-ng. with ptw you have to use .cap files but it is still quicker the useing ivs

Im having probs compiling aircrack-ptw getting it to work does anyone know of a noobs guide for this has i aint got a clue about linux.

Ive managed to install my atheros drivers for my card and got the iso of backtrack burnt to cd, thats about has far has ive got lol.

any ideas..

Bigga.

: colors1

Hi,
Assuming you've got some sort of internet access already, the latest Back Track cd has a little script in /pentest/wireless called update-aircrack ( or something like that, I don't have it to hand). Run this, and it'll download the latest version ( which includes the ptw attack in aircrack-ng, using the -z option). This should compile automatically and you're good to go. The ptw style attack is MUCH faster, so it's definitely worth doing.
Good luck.

edit: If you're completely new to linux, you need to type "/pentest/wireless/update-aircrack.sh" at a command prompt (without the quotes, although it won't matter).

Last edited:
does anybody know if it is possible to sniff all traffic seen by a wireless card ? Theres an AP near me with no WEP. so maybe it uses MAC filtering, no prob :)

BIGGA: I can't use the PM system (can receive but not send), maybe because I'm new here. Sorry. Do you mean that BT won't boot to the login prompt, or that air***-ng is complaining

BONZODOG: Yes, it's easy as long as you have a wireless card that will go into monitor mode. Try the Back Track 2 live CD, and have a play with kismet. As far as I know, monitor mode doesn't work in windows due to lack of driver support (damn closed source ;) ). Hope this helps

Last edited:
I tried this on my new laptop last night, I have 3 WEP networks near my house.

Got back track running fine, updated the aircrack as per beady instructions. Did all that, ended with a message that aircrack dir non existant or something.

Then I got stuck lol.

Tried reading some step by step guides, one told me to use Kismet to put my wireless into monitor mode. Kismet opened up (which closed my wireless connection) but the kismet window just dissapears on me.

I don't know enough about linux to know what I'm doing. Not sure if I need to use a wireless card that will work with kismet or if I'm just doing something wrong.

What sort of card do you have? To run kismet, you need to edit the source line in /etc/kismet/kismet.conf to supply the type, interface and identifier. For instance, I've got a linksys WUSB54g usb device, so I would have: source=rt2500,rausb0,geoffrey

where rt2500 is the chipset type/name of module ( get this for your card/device from the kismet documentation ), rausb0 is the interface name assigned by linux, and geoffrey is a name I will use to identify the source. If you've got multiple cards, pointing in different directions etc, you can give each one a different name. But thats a bit off topic.

If you just want to do a quick test, type:
iwconfig < ifname > mode monitor
airodump-ng -w testdump <ifname>
with <ifname> replaced by interface name (e.g. rausb0). Providing your wireless card is properly supported, this will put the interface into monitor mode, then run airodump, which will start capturing all the packets seen by the device. You'll see various numbers increasing (beacons, data etc). If you can get this to work, you'll be able to run aircrack, but maybe not do packet injection, so it may take a while.

Good luck and get back to me to tell me how you get on.

My laptop has a built-in wireless

Its a Ralink - Part number: USB(RT257x/RT2671)

Is Kismet the best way for me? I shall try and follow your steps tonight, hopefuly my 1GB of RAM will have been delivered too :)

also - this is how nooby I am on Linux.

When you say edit the source line is this like edititing a .inf file in windows? Do I just double click /etc/kismet/kismet.conf and it will open kismet.cnof so I can edit it? Does it get saved automatically or do I need to do something to save it?

The biggest problem I have is understanding the cmd version of Linux - I aint a clue how to use commands in Linux.

Okay, good. That should work fine, including packet injection. For editing the files, t's probably easier to start off using the KDE interface (by typing startx at the console, but I think you've probably done this already). You can open up the file manager ( called konqueror) and navigate to the /etc/kismet folder. Double click on the kismet.conf will open it in an editor thats like wordpad in windows (but imho much better ;) ). Then just edit and save. Start a terminal and run kismet.

To start with however, it's probably easier to just use air***-ng suite to do everything. Kismet is useful for finding hidden networks, and other interesting things, but is a bit awkward to use at first.

Good luck.

Doh sorry beady yes its because your new.

what i mean is for some reason my laptop wont boot backtrack2 (BT2) from the cd dunno why even though ive selected to boot from cd only...

So ive tryed to boot from command prompt and this is what i get??

Dont know how to get the pic bigger and clearer everytime i try i says its to big to be uploaded. here it is anyway.

Last edited:
Doh sorry beady yes its because your new.

what i mean is for some reason my laptop wont boot backtrack2 (BT2) from the cd dunno why even though ive selected to boot from cd only...

So ive tryed to boot from command prompt and this is what i get??

Dont know how to get the pic bigger and clearer everytime i try i says its to big to be uploaded. here it is anyway.

that pic shows XP running. Do you have Back Track in the CD player when you switch PC on?

@ beady, cheers for your time m8. U have exaplined two things there I did not know about. I'd love to get my head into Linux - kids take up too much time, but makes me happy :)

Gonna try again tonight :D

Yes windows running in the back for some reason my lappys not booting from the cd, strange though because in the read me file of bt2 it also says it can be booted from command prompt???

<DISCLAIMER>
Just to clarify. You are of course only going to use this information for educational reasons, and are only wanting to crack networks for which you have express permission to do so. I do not condone or support any other actions. Good.
</DISCLAIMER>

Just a quick piece of advice, when you're playing around with BT2, it's always VERY useful to have a connection to the web through a wired ethernet link. This will almost certainly get set up automatically during boot. Wired networks are a LOT easier in linux than wireless. I'm sure you can 'borrow' a cable from work if you don't already have one.

name : root
password : toor

It tells you above the login prompt ;)

Last edited:
caps lock should be off, all lowercase. Have you got a strange keyboard mapping. Typing 'root' does actually write 'root'?

Last edited:
Back