Hacking Group Claims To Have Discovered Wii U Homebrew Exploit

Rat

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hack to the future
Every piece of gaming tech is potentially hackable, but so far the Wii U has proven to be a tough nut to crack. There have been attempts of course, but according to Nintendo these have come to nothing.

It would now appear that the situation has dramatically changed. A hacking group known as "Wii U Hax" has revealed that it has found an exploit to access the Wii U hardware — through the Wii mode, at least — and is proudly claiming that this is beginning of the Wii U homebrew scene.

It's not known if the hack grants full access to the hardware, but Wii U Hax believes that the exploit can't be patched by Nintendo without releasing a new hardware model of the console.
System integrity has always been a key aim for Nintendo — especially after the piracy-packed days of the DS and Wii — and the company has clearly made things harder with the 3DS and Wii U. System updates can be effectively employed to block any potential weaknesses, but if what this group of hackers is saying is correct, this is one hole that may be impossible to plug.

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

foto_no_exif1-300x208.jpg

nintendolife
wiiu-hax

I think allot more wii u's will be sold if this is legit, it sure looks like they have hacked the wii u, and it will be only a matter if time before sites are popping up with games to download.

So will it be cards, stored in memory, Only time will tell.

Does the wii u have a sd card or similar?

Yes @Mick
pretty much like the Wii tbh mate :)
SD Card support
SD Memory Cards up to 2GB and SDHC Cards up to 32GB are supported.

and USB HDD too

Last edited by a moderator:
So I am guessing it will be hacked and games stored via the sd card then, I doubt many will put a hard drive on it, due to it being a hand held device

I would imagine it will be the same as how the Wii is done mate
files on SD card and games on USB HDD

games are played via the console and played on TV and gamepad either together or gamepad independently
games also use tv and gamepad together which makes the game unique check this video to see (if you dont know how the Wii U works)
Rayman Legends: Console Comparisons
post 1 gives xbox one, ps4 ans wii u comparisons too ;)

They will need to release some kind of loader to get the games running. Don't expect to see anything soon as folk are not wanting to be associated with piracy

Theres a suprise lol :)

As with the 3DS, Nintendo's keeping busy with system updates for the Wii U, releasing version 4.0.3 for your gaming pleasure. We suspect that, due to the close proximity of the update with the news, that this has little to do with the reported Wii U exploit; either way, it's a minor update.
There aren't any shiny new menus or features, as this is a small download — completed within a couple of minutes on our system — that has the usual goals for stability.

Back