Gym

mike361

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
alright folks,

just started going to the gym purely just for the weights ,saying that i`ll do about a 10min jog to start with,but couple of questions.

how long should a workout last for?
say i`m woking my bicepts what else should i work in the same session or can i just train my biceps then go?
what does everyone eat before the gym and how long before they head there?

cheers

mike

50~60 minutes.

How many days per week are you going?

Monday - Chest & Triceps

Barbell Bench Press
Inclined Smith Machine | Dumbbell Bench Press
Iso Chest Press Machine
Dumbell Fly Machine | Dumbbell Fly
Overhead Triceps Cable Extensions
Close Grip Barbell Bench Press | Decline Barbell Bench Press | Dips

Tuesday - Back & Biceps

Deadlift
Straight Bar Curls | E-Z Bar Curls
T-Bar Row Machine | Dumbbell Row
Inclined Dumbbell Curls | Incline Dumbbell Curl Machine | Dumbbell Curls
Widegrip Pulldown Machine | V-Handle Pulldown
Iso Back Machine (actually the other end of the Iso chest machine) | Low-Row Back Machine
Abdominal Machine (weighted)

Thursday - Shoulders

Barbell Shrugs (pyramid 8~10 sets)
Dumbbell Shoulder Press | Smith Machine Shoulder Press
Reverse Fly (on the Dumbbell Fly machine)
Hammer Lateral Raise Machine Superset with Front Plate Raise
Dumbbell Shrugs | Behind-Back Smith Machine Shrugs
Parallel Smith Machine Shoulder Press | Dumbbell Shoulder Press Machine

Friday - Legs

Squat Machine Superset with Seated Calf Raise
Leg Press Superset with Seated Leg Curl | Lying Leg Curl
Standing Calf Raise
Barbell Squat

Leg day is a bit more complicated as it's mainly superset pyramid sets so I'm going up in weight on one exercise and down on another.

I recently changed this completely to something a bit simpler for a while.

Barbell Squat (Heavy)
Seated Leg Curl Superset with Seated Calf Raise and Standing Calf Raise

I`m going 3 times a week normally mon - wed - fri.
trying to bulk up a little but not massive as i`m big boned anyway-well thats what my ma says!!,
i like using the machines but not 100% on how to use all the machines yet though.

Drop some of the shoulder exercises off and merge it with leg day.

I`m going 3 times a week normally mon - wed - fri.
trying to bulk up a little but not massive as i`m big boned anyway-well thats what my ma says!!,
i like using the machines but not 100% on how to use all the machines yet though.

As part of your gym induction they should take you through all the machines. Also do they have free weights there, I found free weights when used correctly will allow you to isolate the muscle groups better then the machines which allow your body to 'cheat'. It would help to have a friend assist you for a month or so while you get used to using the weights to ensure your form is correct.

Also I would give your different muscle groups time to rest which is the idea of alternating the workout for different muscle groups.

Finally, what is your diet like ?

my diest is pretty strict being honest i eat a lot of high protein stuff .i do have my off days when i drink but apart from that pretty good diet

I go three times a week and generally do 3 x full body workouts. Generally 1 compound excersise per major muscle group i.e
1 x chest
1 x shoulders
1 x back
1 x legs
Then chuck in a couple of isolation excersise for arms, shoulders, chest etc
Do this for a few weeks then then maybe you could add a few more excersises over time but try and do mainly compound excersises

Don't fall into the trap of isolating your biceps and neglecting essential body parts like legs and back. To build strength and muscle, consider a program such as starting strength. Basically, you want to make sure you are doing the following key exercises: deadlift, chin ups, bent over row, squat, bench press, shoulder press, dips. Split this into three workouts (3x a week) i.e. back and biceps, legs, chest and shoulders.

If you do these consistently while progressively overloading every workout you will see very good gains, especially if you are a newbie. You can do isolation exercises at the end of the workout if you want, but it won't really be needed.

one hour should be plenty. But if you are doing a split program i.e. one muscle per day, you might be able to get away with 30 minutes. But the split program will require a lot of attendance in the gym i.e. at least 5 days a week.

Back