got hd today...

maarksparky

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi all,

got my hd box for vm installed today.. pure love it..

however some channels show with black stripes... checked all settings both on box and tele and its the way it should be..

please help guys, this is pure ruining my excitment..

PS, i have a 40inch LE40R88 and its 720p

I like watching f*x news

however my settings are all correct too so i can only assume that certain programs are broadcast with 2.35.1 aspect ratio

some tvs have zoom function but you will loose picture size using it.

hope this helps :)

If you mean black borders, some movies are broadcast in 2.35:1, which is wider than 16:9, so you get black borders at the top and bottom. Some SD channels broadcast as letterboxed widescreen in a 4:3 frame, so those will give you black borders as well, unless you use a zoom function.

thanks guys.. but confused that it only happening when i have the tv display format to HiDef HDMI..

when is its on norma/widscreen/14:3 ie SD.. ilts all chanels r fine..

It could be that the "normal" setting automatically detects borders and zooms accordingly. Hard to say without more info. Which channels is this happening on? Are the borders only on the top/bottom, or on the sides as well?

Last edited:
It could be that the "normal" setting automatically detects borders and zooms accordingly. Hard to say without more info. Which channels is this happening on? Are the borders only on the top/bottom, or on the sides as well?

for eg. BBC1 is fine but living has borders..

the black borders are only on the left and right hand sides.. no borders on the top..

That's OK, then. Living broadcasts a lot of old 4:3 material upscaled to HD res, so you get those borders on the sides. They won't appear on the SD version of the channel.

right guys.. managed to sort it out..

I was selecting the right key to move forward to select the format..

apparrently u have to press left key to go back on v+ box where u will find 16:9 wide and holla !!!

all sorted, ya beauty!! guess wifey will be dumped for the night..

thanks for ur help guys..

yes i keep mine @ HiDef HDMI 1080 wide , & i still get the borders on the side on living & discovery shed & a few more ......others are perfect ..evan got the masters golf & grand national ..on bbc hd ....well done bbc, starting o put some good programs in hd

Back