Google TV service launches in UK with Sony tie-up

skinz

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Google TV service launches in UK with Sony tie-up

BBC News - Google TV service launches in UK with Sony tie-up

Sony Google TV-enabled set top box Earlier Google TV hardware struggled to sell well

Sony and Google have announced a tie-up that will see Google's interactive TV service made available outside the US for the first time.

The set-top box allows users to browse the internet through their television, as well as access a range of specially designed applications.

The device, which will cost around £200 when it is released in July, will compete with Apple's own TV box.

Apple TV is already available in the UK, currently priced at £99.

In a press release, Sony said their Google TV product, the NSZ-GS7, will also soon be made available in Canada, Australia, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Brazil and Mexico.

"Entertainment content is available through so many channels and sites, and Google TV helps consumers easily find what they want to watch, listen to or play with the freedom of the internet and using the familiar Chrome search engine technology," said Gildas Pelliet, Sony's European head of marketing.

The device will be followed with a Blu-ray version expected to cost around £300 when it is launched later in the year.

The box will be controlled by a dual-sided remote control with a full QWERTY keyboard.

Like Apple's offering, Google TV can be controlled via a smartphone.

Google's foray into television has faced some hiccups since it first launched Google TV in the US in 2010.

Its devices were criticised for being too expensive, and several TV networks blocked the US-only service from accessing their web content.

So what more do you get with the Google box for your £200.00 if Apple can do it for £99.00. I am not convinced at the moment. Sorry mate.

Its all about the content. The didn't announce what will be available.

Ha neither am I

Will have to wait and see I guess

Google TV hardware struggled to sell well.

• The set-top box allows users to browse the internet through their television (Like a PC)
  • Access a range of specially designed applications (Like a PC)
  • The device, which will cost around £200 (I have a PC)
  • watch, listen to or play with the freedom of the internet (Like a PC)
  • with a full QWERTY keyboard (I have one of those, it's attached to my PC)
  • Its devices were criticised for being too expensive (Do I need one? I've got a PC)

Nearly dinner time :).

• The set-top box allows users to browse the internet through their television (Like a PC)
  • Its devices were criticised for being too expensive (Do I need one? I've got a PC)

A PC is always going to be more flexible but judging by devices like apple TV, there are enough people out there will to pay for a device which does not require maintenance, does not require you to learn an O/S and is reliable.

Lunch was lovely Spectre, I think I will keep my PC instead you have talked me in to it very convincingly. Pmpl

Back