Mobile Phones Google Set To Reveal Its Rival To The IPhone

fireblade

Elite Member
Reaction score
Gadget-lovers and industry rivals are gearing up for the unveiling of Google’s first mobile phone

The hotly-anticipated arrival of the Nexus One marks the start of Google’s bid to challenge the dominance of Apple’s iPhone in the growing smartphone market.

The internet search giant has invited journalists to its Californian headquarters tomorrow for a press briefing on its Android mobile phone operating system, launched to attract users to its services.

It is widely expected that Google will take the opportunity to unveil the Nexus One phone, thought to be named in a nod to the 'Nexus' androids in the sci-fi film Blade Runner.

Google’s Android operating system is already used by phones from companies such as Motorola and Samsung, but the Nexus One will represent the first time the company has had full control over a device.

Although Google has said little about its own smartphone - the name given to the growing group of phones with the capabilities of miniature computers - details and photos have leaked online.

The touch-screen handset is manufactured by Taiwanese company HTC, while Google took the lead in designing the Nexus One’s hardware and software.

It is thought to have a slightly larger screen than the iPhone and to allow users to add a memory card if they wish.

Users will also be able to access the web, play video games and use Google’s free GPS navigation software.

Apple, meanwhile, is expected to announce details of its iSlate – a touch-screen tablet PC - at an event on January 26.

The gadget has been described as more like a giant iPod Touch than a keyboardless Mac.

If it proves successful, it could create the industry's next big growth market.

view the pics at this link :)
Google Set To Reveal Its First Smartphone - The Nexus One - With Hope To Challenge IPhone | Technology | Sky News

: spook :

What would impress me is an iphone that isnt such a huge rip off. I mean you can buy the 8gb ipod touch which is basicaly an iphone less the phone capability for £140. The cheapest ive seen an iphone 8gb 3g is £350 even more for the 3gs.

I wonder if it can do this.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AFtcgYRcu4[/ame]

Nexus One Unveiled

Since the Android format launched last year with the T-Mobile G1, Google had been rumored to be creating a handset of their own. After months of speculation, leaked photos, and general buzz, Google has finally popped the top off of their Android smartphone, the Nexus One. Today, Google formally unveiled the Nexus One, a new touch screen-enabled handset produced in partnership with HTC. The phone will be based in the same open-source Android format, with its own unique user interface. Software-wise, the Nexus One will come loaded with an array of apps including YouTube, Google Maps with turn-by-turn GPS, web browsing, Gmail service, and direct access to the Android app marketplace.
google-nexus-one-unveiled-20100105000343939.jpg

Specs wise, the Nexus One features a 3.7-inch OLED display with a resolution of 800 x 600 pixels, 100,000:1 contrast ratio and 1ms response. The phone will also incorporate a 5 megapixel camera with LED flash, video recording support at 720 x 480 resolution, and a 2x digital zoom. Under the hood, the Nexus One has a 1GHz Qualcomm processor, 512MB of Flash memory and 4GBs of storage space via SD card, which can be expanded to up to 32GBs. The handset will utilize HSDPA and GSM/Edge networks with data transfers of up to 7.2Mbps, along with full Wi-Fi (802.11b/g/n) and Bluetooth support. On a 3G network, the Nexus One's battery will last for 7 hours, while on a 2G network it lasts for 10. Standby time is 290 hours on 2G networks and 250 on 3G networks, while video and audio playback will be 7 hours and 20 hours, respectively. Finally, web browsing battery life is 5 hours on 3G networks and 6.5 hours on Wi-Fi.

What makes Google's strategy for the Nexus One unique is that they are offering it as an unlocked non-network-specific device or on several existing networks, unlike the iPhone which remains exclusive to AT&T. The unlocked version of the Nexus One will cost $529, while a Nexus One handset on the T-Mobile network will cost $179 with 2-year contract, both of which are available for order now. The Nexus One will also come to Verizon this spring, presumably at the same price as the T-Mobile version. The Nexus One will also arrive in Europe this spring on the Vodafone network.​

I dont know why everyone compares everything to the iPhone, personally (personal opinion) i think the iphone is rubbish. Rubbish camera, rubbish battery life, rubbish sound quality. The menu design is a big mess.

All they have to go by is a million useless "apps". (not all useless but any other phone can do the same thing without actually having to ave an application for it). I mean an app for calculating restaurant bill (calculator) and that stupid TV ad that goes the iphone can now "COPY and PASTE"..now come on!!!

I have used Iphones, Google phones and windows mobile phones and the iphone would come bottom of the list.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/jan/10/google-nexus-one-apple-iphone said:
But it also has a relatively small number of downloadable apps and very little memory for storing them; no easy way of transferring music files to the device; and the attractiveness of the high-resolution screen is somewhat dented by the fact that it doesn't support "multi-touch" interactions in the way the Apple product does. Whatever else the Google phone is, an "iPhone killer" it ain't.

Android has loads of "Apps" (or programs as we used to call them) they are just made by lots of different people, don't have to be approved by apple to be installed and you have to be able to find them on the internet. - most iphones app's functions can be done using a web browser anyway.

The nexus can take up to a 32gb micro SD card, how much room does the writer want? Just because the iphone cant be expanded doesn't mean other phones cant! (I think 32gb is larger than any of the iphones?)

Copy and pasting music files is much easier than using itunes IMHO.

Basically its too complicated for the average iphone user! Hasn't that always been the way? People with some brain cells and computer knowledge go for android or windows mobile devices where as the sheep get an iphone?

Isn't this phone called HTC Bravo?
HTC always give a code name for their phones, but then sell them to other companies who can release them under their own name. Many of HTC's phones are available under different names "made" by different manufactures, but are the same phone. e.g. the HTC P3450, HTC Touch, Orange Touch, Dopod S1, T-Mobile MDA and O2 Xda Nova are all brand names for the HTC Elf

Yes, Dishpointer is available for android
http://www.dishpointer.com/

Last edited:
I have used an iphone, but i must say my Hero beats it hands down. Dead easy to crack, apps can be installed on microSDHC cards.

Also has a thriving community for such a new OS, reading the SDK material at the moment to make my own apps,and with Android OS2.1 arround the corner, we be even better.

But thats my opinion :)

i hope that the Nexus One from Google kicks iphones ass cos i think iphone is ridiculously over priced for what it is - many will agree with me on this.

Goodluck to GOOGLE

Back