Gloss paints , which ?

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at doing a fair bit of glossing, grained 6 panel doors , skirts and covings. I want a gloss that's water based, easy going on, and stays white longer.

After tonnes of reading I was told that the best by a long stretch was this stuff;-

Sikkens - - Decorating Warehouse

but some did mention this:-

Aqua Water Based Satin - Johnstones Trade Paints

Can anyone comment on these 2 paints ?. I don't want to be undercoating and 10 hrs drying ,

I dont have the time nor money, just a brighten up'er and easy to clean up my mess will do

I used to always be a fan of the Dulux Trade oil based gloss. However I have not used it for a few years since they had to clamp down even further on the VOC's

I had my Hall way decorated by a mate who is a decorator a few months ago and he used the water based satin you link to, as I remember it did take overnight to go completely dry but the finish is fantastic

This thread has come up at the right time for me too :)

Will be painting the downstairs soon (lounge /Kitchen) got paint for walls and ceiling but unsure what to do with doors, frames and staircase

We went for an off white last time but it just dont look the same as brilliant white, dont like the drag of oil based gloss either
So will be keeping an eye on this thread to see what others advise :)

Just another quick tip, I've used this in the past

Zinsser BIN Stain remover

Not cheap but if you have any water or damp stains or new weeping wood this stuff covers the lot and holds it back after painting

I have used johnstones water based gloss for a while now and it works great and dries quick. It feels like silk emulsion going on but it is much more hard wearing and dries really quick. Sikkens was good but I once bought a batch that was lacking a drying agent? it literally took days to dry and it was very prone to chips knocks.
2430369.gif

So is it Sikkens or Johnstones or any other ? I need to get some ordered for the weekend

miggy ? does it stay whiter for longer the Johnstones ? and do they stock it in the major d.i.y store ?

I use dulux oil based gloss, trade gloss one. I don't like the water based ones as they don't give you the gloss shine.

I use dulux oil based gloss, trade gloss one. I don't like the water based ones as they don't give you the gloss shine.

What about the going yellow ? I've used Dulux , it's turning yellow before you turn around

What about the going yellow ? I've used Dulux , it's turning yellow before you turn around

Not had it with the trade oil based one I've used at home. I did have it with their water based one tho

So is it Sikkens or Johnstones or any other ? I need to get some ordered for the weekend

miggy ? does it stay whiter for longer the Johnstones ? and do they stock it in the major d.i.y store ?

Of course they do m8 any good decorating centre will sell it to you, and it is lovely and white and very quick drying.

I've had Crown , even though it goes on well and looks nice it's yellow within 4-6 month

Might sound like a daft question , but can you still get hold of gloss paints that still have the old chemicals in that kept it white ? like order in from abroad ? just wondering

Might sound like a daft question , but can you still get hold of gloss paints that still have the old chemicals in that kept it white ? like order in from abroad ? just wondering

I painted a dining table and 4 chairs not long ago with a high gloss white acrylic paint. It is supposed to be a special paint for re-furbishing kitchen cupboard doors. The finish was like glass and the white was really snow white, and it still looks lovely today. The make of the paint is called International cupboard paint. When you have finished just rinse your brush in water. It is very hard wearing and comes highly recommended by me.

I painted a dining table and 4 chairs not long ago with a high gloss white acrylic paint. It is supposed to be a special paint for re-furbishing kitchen cupboard doors. The finish was like glass and the white was really snow white, and it still looks lovely today. The make of the paint is called International cupboard paint. When you have finished just rinse your brush in water. It is very hard wearing and comes highly recommended by me.

I might give it a go on the skirts. I had read about certain cupboard paints , there suppose to be good. Stupid question coming . . with it been acrylic is it fine to paint over later on ? meaning it's not that tough you can't get a key

I might give it a go on the skirts. I had read about certain cupboard paints , there suppose to be good. Stupid question coming . . with it been acrylic is it fine to paint over later on ? meaning it's not that tough you can't get a key

The more you put on the better the shine mate. Use the proper primer for it and it will last for years. Preparation is the key to a great finish. International Furniture & Cupboard Paint - White Gloss - 750ml: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
Trust me this product works great but don't try and leather the paint on do small areas at a time. Unfortunately the link I sent you states that this product is out of stock? but at least you know what you are looking for now. Please keep us informed on the outcome. :)

I'm building myself up to it. If there's one thing I can't abide is painting so once I get my painthead on then I'm off.
I've got a real bad sqeaking chipboard floor that needs lifting and ply laying before the full on painting commences.

I should have a whiter than white house for Christmas :)

Back