Gigabit Network

Will have to hook one up to the alarm system too got myself a voice dialer so cant wait to see how that works!!

Yeah, the only thing I would say is there are a couple of different types, thats for a PABX System the BT Krone ones in my pic has a little cover which hides a switch for Analogue or Digital systems.

I have to say I didn't check 100%, I grabbed a load from work to use at home. Only use them because sky wanted their boxes plugged into telephone line.

Anyone got any suggestions for a 48 port gigabit switch has to be 19" rackmount but dont know about managed or unmanaged...

Unmanaged switches are also called “dumb” such as a “dumb-hub”.
Does nothing just allows all traffic to go all through your network, you have no control.

Managed – allows the SysAdmin to take control of the network, allows ports to talk to other ports or none at all.

Managed is always best if you can afford it.

You should also try and get one that is layer 3 capable as only layer 3 switches and routers devices can use routing protocols and control traffic by way of ip address.

Any idea on how much you want your spend limit to be?

Last edited:
Unmanaged should be fine for what im going to be using for... The linksys router will auto assign ip to machines etc so guessing just need to plug one port from router to switch.

Have got around £300 budget for a 48port gigabit switch but someone mentioned PoE which im assuming is going to bump up the price a lot. Not quite sure if im going to need that either.

My network is streaming movies and transfering files from one machine to another... Will also be using cat6 for telephone lines but got a BT Voice Panel which should sort all that.

Unmanaged switches are also called “dumb” such as a “dumb-hub”.
Does nothing just allows all traffic to go all through your network, you have no control.

Managed – allows the SysAdmin to take control of the network, allows ports to talk to other ports or none at all.

Managed is always best if you can afford it.

You should also try and get one that is layer 3 capable as only layer 3 switches and routers devices can use routing protocols and control traffic by way of ip address.

Any idea on how much you want your spend limit to be?

Some of the higher end unmanaged switches also support VLAN (so it can act like several smaller switches with deifferent network segments) which can be useful sometimes if you want to seperate equipment.

Manage switches allow you to monitor the status of the switch, monitor traffic, often you can do QoS (quality of service) and bunch of other stuff.

Expect to pay anything upward of a £700 for a layer 2 managed switch and around £1500 for a layer 3.

Are you also looking at PoE (power over ethernet) support as well ?

Some of the higher end unmanaged switches also support VLAN (so it can act like several smaller switches with deifferent network segments) which can be useful sometimes if you want to seperate equipment.

Manage switches allow you to monitor the status of the switch, monitor traffic, often you can do QoS (quality of service) and bunch of other stuff.

Expect to pay anything upward of a £700 for a layer 2 managed switch and around £1500 for a layer 3.

Are you also looking at PoE (power over ethernet) support as well ?

This is what im looking at TL-SG1048 but dont think it is PoE and unmanaged should be fine in the type of environment I will be using it.

Tp-Link are a good make, not had any problems with them in the past.

Its not PoE but that is something you can add as a second switch later on if you need to.

Using it for security cameras. That way I don't need to worry about power and network for the cameras, only network.

Dont think I need to worry about CCTV cameras as they come with their own proper power supply and doubt I will ever need voip phones. Just going to have BT master socket wired to that voice panel I got and just use normal dect cordless phones.

What you have suggested will be fine then.

Back