Gigabit Network

i cabled my entire house with a gigabit network and a POE WAP...do it you won't regret it:Clap:

Does anyone know how I would wire this up?

Last edited:
what do you want to know mate? , gigabit ethernet is a bit vague really, you cant sort of wire your house with gigabit, as theres more to it than just a speed, basically cat 5 cable will `support` gigabit speeds as long as its full 8 wire, but isnt guaranteed because of cross talk etc etc , however cat5e is shielded, and is more common and is certified for gigabit speeds, cat 6 is even thicker, and better for longer runs, and guarantee`s for better speeds. Can you even buy reals of cat 5 now?

but for wiring, go for cat5e , this will sort you out, if money no object then cat6 is the one to go for, will future proof it and give that bit more performance. Cat5e is the sort of standard cabling these days. I have just done an assignment on it last year as part of my ccna course, but anyone whose done it will know, alot goes in one ear and out the other.

basically cat5e minimum, cat 6 if you can afford it.

POE stands for power over ethernet, basically it works by combining or injecting the power for a device in with the data stream , to utilize one cable, then at the end device, splitting the power and data streams out. basically you dont need a power source near to your device if it supports POE. If you wanted to power a wirelss access point say 300 meters from your house, out in your back garden you not gonna have a plug socket near it, so you can send both power and data down the same network cable and split it out at the end. Slight performance hit, but negligable i think.

you can get POE switchs for instance that provide 5, 8 etc etc ports that also inlcude power, so you can power your access points and communicate with it from one cable. You can also buy passive injectors, i use some of these for my cctv IP cameras, cheap and cheerful, and cuts out any problems by using the original PSU for the device.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270521896036

word of warning, make sure you dont plug the injeced cable into a device without splitting out, liable to blow!!

so you would have psu and network cable going into the POE injector, from this a network cable comes out carrying both data and power, along to POE splitter which splits data and power back to rj45 connector and power lead, ready to plug into device.

That photo looks like some sort of VOIP gateway / switch, without exact model its uncertain as to how to configure it, but then again could be just some sort of a patch panel for voip, its difficult to say, i`m only saying its VOIP related because of the label, hard to say from picture, but i`d hedge a bet that they are extension numbers for a VOIP gateway of some sort , maybe from some sort of IPBX...............

hope this helps , the cheap asda pear cider sure has :D

Last edited:
Cat5 can be shielded as well as Cat5e and Cat6

Cat 5 cable can support 10 or 100 Mbps Ethernet, and has a capability of up to 100MHz.

Cat 5e can handle data transfer at 1000 Mbps, is suitable for Gigabit Ethernet, and experiences much lower levels of near-end crosstalk (NEXT) than Cat 5.

Category 6 cable twice the bandwidth of Cat 5! Cat 6 cable is ideal for supporting 10 Gigabit Ethernet, and is able to operate at up to 250 MHz.

Having worked for one of the world’s major and leading data cable manufacturers for a number of years my advice would be if you have the funds then go with Cat 6 as it is future proof and will do all you need it to do. Might be a bit more expensive but not as expensive as finding out to late that you installed a cable that will not do all you want it to do.

Already started the cat6 cabling, got two roles 305m each of LSZH purple cable. My question was really how do I wire up the BT Voice Panel, it just has a load of stripped telephone wires behind it im assuming the master socket would be wired to that then patched to the rest of the panels?

I think I should start taking some pictures soon!!

Not sure then matey, i`m presuming this would to go into some sort of VOIP gateyway maybe or a POTS system, but really am not sure.

sorry for the war and peace explanation of cabling ;)

Already started the cat6 cabling, got two roles 305m each of LSZH purple cable. My question was really how do I wire up the BT Voice Panel, it just has a load of stripped telephone wires behind it im assuming the master socket would be wired to that then patched to the rest of the panels?

I think I should start taking some pictures soon!!

Guess you’re talking about panel marked Voice Host, which is patch panel, logoed BT or anyone else’s for that matter, where basically 001 etc would be the subscriber terminal connection line side and 6027 etc would be the circuit (equipment) side and would be used to jumper whatever variation in connections you need to achieve.

So as you suspected you could run your rooms into the 001... side and decide whatever you’re going to connect on the equipment side to 6027... and hence you would have the flexibility to cross connect whenever you want.

If you were to take the 6027... labels off you would see that they are exactly the same as those marked 001... So you could label them up to make sense of what you are doing.

Be aware though that the BT panels may not be cat 6 or any other cat type rated. But you could get ones that are.

The stripped colour wires on the BT panels should run in a sequence. The Basic BT one being

Blue, Orange, Green, Brown, Grey in that order and each pair would be made up of a solid colour with a stripped mate i.e. White/Blue + Blue/White, white/Orange + Orange/White and so on. The first colour is the base colour & the second colour is the trace colour

or it could be as follows:

The first colour is the base colour & the second colour is the trace colour

Pair 'A' wire 'B' wire
1 White/Blue Blue/White
2 White/Orange Orange/White
3 White/Green Green/White
4 White/Brown Brown/White
5 White/Grey Grey/White
6 Red/Blue Blue/Red
7 Red/Orange Orange/Red
8 Red/Green Green/Red
9 Red/Brown Brown/Red
10 Red/Grey Grey/Red
11 Black/Blue Blue/Black
12 Black/Orange Orange/Black
13 Black/Green Green/Black
14 Black/Brown Brown/Black
15 Black/Grey Grey/Black
16 Yellow/Blue Blue/Yellow
17 Yellow/Orange Orange/Yellow
18 Yellow/Green Green/Yellow
19 Yellow/Brown Brown/Yellow
20 Yellow/Grey Grey/Yellow
21 Violet/Blue Blue/Violet
22 Violet/Orange Orange/Violet
23 Violet/Green Green/Violet
24 Violet/Brown Brown/Violet
25 Violet/Grey Grey/Violet
26 Pink/Blue Blue/Pink
27 Pink/Orange Orange/Pink
28 Pink/Green Green/Pink
29 Pink/Brown Brown/Pink
30 Pink/Grey Grey/Pink

No easy way to explain this so sorry the long winded explanation. If you get stuck or need more help then let us know.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I havent a clue about the panel itself all I know its going to be in the cabinet when I get it and if I can use it then its a bonus.

If you are going to do cat6, remember that the connectors and crimping are as important or possibly even more important then the cable itself. The amound of cable you can untwist, the jacks, crimper, etc

As oneman says its important to use the right parts. But the cable and the detailed instalation of it is far more important than anything. There are rules you will need to stick to such as bends in the cable and maintaining the twist in the pairs upto the point of connection. Anything you need to know or want help with just ask.

what do you want to know mate? , gigabit ethernet is a bit vague really, you cant sort of wire your house with gigabit, as theres more to it than just a speed, basically cat 5 cable will `support` gigabit speeds as long as its full 8 wire, but isnt guaranteed because of cross talk etc etc , however cat5e is shielded, and is more common and is certified for gigabit speeds, cat 6 is even thicker, and better for longer runs, and guarantee`s for better speeds. Can you even buy reals of cat 5 now?

but for wiring, go for cat5e , this will sort you out, if money no object then cat6 is the one to go for, will future proof it and give that bit more performance. Cat5e is the sort of standard cabling these days. I have just done an assignment on it last year as part of my ccna course, but anyone whose done it will know, alot goes in one ear and out the other.

basically cat5e minimum, cat 6 if you can afford it.

POE stands for power over ethernet, basically it works by combining or injecting the power for a device in with the data stream , to utilize one cable, then at the end device, splitting the power and data streams out. basically you dont need a power source near to your device if it supports POE. If you wanted to power a wirelss access point say 300 meters from your house, out in your back garden you not gonna have a plug socket near it, so you can send both power and data down the same network cable and split it out at the end. Slight performance hit, but negligable i think.

you can get POE switchs for instance that provide 5, 8 etc etc ports that also inlcude power, so you can power your access points and communicate with it from one cable. You can also buy passive injectors, i use some of these for my cctv IP cameras, cheap and cheerful, and cuts out any problems by using the original PSU for the device.

Passive Power over Ethernet POE injector extractor kit on eBay (end time 26-Feb-10 10:41:41 GMT)

word of warning, make sure you dont plug the injeced cable into a device without splitting out, liable to blow!!

so you would have psu and network cable going into the POE injector, from this a network cable comes out carrying both data and power, along to POE splitter which splits data and power back to rj45 connector and power lead, ready to plug into device.

That photo looks like some sort of VOIP gateway / switch, without exact model its uncertain as to how to configure it, but then again could be just some sort of a patch panel for voip, its difficult to say, i`m only saying its VOIP related because of the label, hard to say from picture, but i`d hedge a bet that they are extension numbers for a VOIP gateway of some sort , maybe from some sort of IPBX...............

hope this helps , the cheap asda pear cider sure has :D

cheers mate saved me replying.

Bally do a lot of reading it took me more in reading and understanding than it did to wire my house by lifting floor boards and making grooves in walls! (mine is not a new build which made it harder) as for POE you could always use an injector at the router/switch end. i have a router and 24 port gigabit switch. in this day and age forget cat 5 or 5e.:proud:

also to confirm what others have said in a round about way . cat 6 cabling has to be done right, you have not the flexibikity of making a shortcut like with cat 5.

there are so many words of wisdom i can give u when i get the time.

How would I go about running telephone over cat6... not voip... Just distrubuting from BT master socket or am I better of just running standard telephone cable?

Telephony is only a pair so it will be easy to do that over the cat 6 wiring, if that is what you mean. But you would want to make sure that that circuit is run on a seperate cable as the ringing could interfere with the data side and perhaps termianated on a seperate block on your IDF.

Just spoke to BT and it looks like they going to charge £124.99 to fit a new master socket so looks like I will transfer my BT number to my VM telephone line who will install the socket for free I think.

Hmm that kinda makes sense. Just into a normal patching panel then out to data points? Then is there a RJ45 to RJ6/7 connector or something to plug normal phone into?

Hmm that kinda makes sense. Just into a normal patching panel then out to data points? Then is there a RJ45 to RJ6/7 connector or something to plug normal phone into?

Yeah that's it m8, so basically you've got 3 exts that you could patch to any socket around the Property. You can get a BT slave module instead of a CatX Module (no need for an adapter) in a location that you deem to be a fixed Tel Socket, n use adapters if the misses likes to change the decor on a regular basis to keep your options open.

This approach with cat5e cable is used by Business for mixed Data Telecoms Network for versatility of locations, ease of cabling, only they don't run off a Master Socket obviously, they run a larger Box of tricks with Multiple lines n exts, Hence what you have in your rack, but patching principle is the same.

Back