Gigabit Network

jesus thats some system, on a sidenote i have this router, once its upgraded it works perfect and the mrs has her own network and stays off mines ;-)

Yeh was planning to get it the router and flash it with DD-WRT my Linksys WRT54GS just wont cut it in the new build so 4gigabit port router is the way forward :D

Obviously cash is not a problem else I would be wondering what is the point of a gigabit router if you are going to be using a gigabit switch as well unless you need the extra ports.

Anyway, you plan on rackmounting your server(s) as well ?

ooo oo now i need to read about that DD-WRT

Obviously cash is not a problem else I would be wondering what is the point of a gigabit router if you are going to be using a gigabit switch as well unless you need the extra ports.

Anyway, you plan on rackmounting your server(s) as well ?

Wont be getting rackmounted servers going to use to towers which can sit at the bottom of the cabinet. The problem is the cabinet is a patching cabinet and not a server cabinet so I dont think its deep enough.

@P33 RRV DD-WRT ROCKS :D

There was a glass-fronted 48U (maybe, something like that) cabinet thrown in the skip at work. it would have been fine had it not been hurled in :(.

Speaking of which, I haven't been in the skips for some time.

my god, what is this for, work or home? what is the router intended for, just internet connection? or joining other local networks? as you havent said what this is for. if just for internet surely any good router would do, just seems a little overkill for somple net connection.. That being said though on the flip side seems little bit underkill putting it next to the switching equipment :D , a good old cisco 2600 wouldnt look out of of place in there............

Ive alwasy supported linksys stuff, and having ddwrt is a bonus (is it compatible with this router?) but have recently moved onto draytek equipment, miss ddwrt but the draytek stuff is excellant, and most have VOIP / 3G / DUAL WAN etc built into them, giving your network automatic fallover or loadbalancing etc etc, plus chuck some voip in there and jobs a goodun.

but yeah, i like it.

Wont be getting rackmounted servers going to use to towers which can sit at the bottom of the cabinet. The problem is the cabinet is a patching cabinet and not a server cabinet so I dont think its deep enough.

@P33 RRV DD-WRT ROCKS :D

Unfortunately we found that out the hard way. We got a couple of scrapped coms cabinets from our datacentre and planed on redeploying to a couple of branch sites. Had the first one delivered along (delivery and assembly charge was something like 500 quid) with a pair of DL360 servers then went on site to do the install. The servers fit but can't close the back door which was the point of having the cabinet there, to keep the servers safe.

I was thinking about putting in a 24U server rack if I get a loft conversion done, can pick them up on fleabay for a hundred quid or so.

Where there's a will there's a way! :proud:

I've a 1u 230mm deep(MiniITX) n 2u 270mm deep I did have to hunt around but it's not impossible!

These are 380mm n 390mm deep:
X-Case RM 204 Short
Buy a short 3u rackmount case online at X-Case UK.

My personal Fav:
Chenbro 9u RM91250H01

But prob a bit to deep :(

Last edited:
This is all new to me so feel free to throw suggestions etc... The router is going to be for the internet and dhcp server to assign ips etc... So the switch will work through the router right?

The router itself is only around £65-£85 so not mega bucks... also has built in print server I believe Linksys WRT320N... As for the switch I dont know which to go for but I need a 48 port gigabit switch... A friend of mine suggested the TP-Link switch oppose to a non branded one.

This is for a home build and it looks overkill I admit that but I am only paying £100 for the cabinet which im sure you will agree is a bargain!!

@ Hejira the X-Case RM 204 Short looks kool but I wouldnt have a clue what to do with it!! Same goes for the rest of it to be honest, just fortunate that I can put cat6 everywhere and wire it to a single comms room.

thats cool, but why on earth do you need 48 ports + for home, what is it blenhein palace!!! lol.

well that router will do perfectly fine, but just a few suggestions.

do you need 5ghz wireless?

if not, a standard 2.4 gig wireless router would do. only need 5ghz if your laptops / wireless cards etc etc are 5ghz

do you need gigbit on the router?

As you not gonna get any bottleneck for your internet, max in the uk for standard home use is virmins 50meg. So its not like your gonna need any extra gigbit ports, as you have 48

do you need a printer port (usb) right next to your rack?

for not too much more you can have a draytek.......................: )

edit : im curious now, what on earth are you gonna be running?

I've got 16 ports in my office plus 4 drops to each room in the house. If you are going to do the work once then putting in 4 ports is not more effort then putting in one and its neater then putting switches in each room.

Soon adds up.

sorry, didnt mean to thanks , pr essed wrong button, yeah i know what you mean, just looks like serious overkill for a house. When i think about it i have 20 ports in my house, and use 16 of them, soon to add a couple of usb powered 4 ports in two other rooms. (can power them from the satelite boxs)

Living Room = 6 Ports (PS3, Xbox 360, AVR/HTPC, SkyHD, 2 spare)
Dining Room = 2 Ports
Kitchen = 2 Ports
Office = 4 Ports
Bedrooms x4 = 12 ports (4, 4, 2 and 2)
Loft = 4 Ports (2 and 2) each end
Basement = 6 Ports

I work that out to be 36 ports? Thing is, its a new build so I can run cables everywhere and anywhere. Will also need to be able to use phone over ethernet. Looks overkill but when you break it down, it isnt really or is it?!
:err::comp1:

in that case then, fair enough, run plenty cables, bearing in mind for future expansion you can add more switchs in situ. As for voip, great stuff, not an expert at it, but have been playing about with it of late, just built an IPBX system for a small company , built on a small atom system > windows server 2008 > 3cx pbx software, pretty neat, you can use asterisk, but to be honest with you, i looked at the configuration of it and seemed a bit complicated, where as 3cx seemed pretty straight forward, great control for all your phones.

dont forget also, you can get VOIP phones that have built in 2 port switchs, so every network lead will still be usable.............sorry for waffling, but i`m playing about with all this stuff, the ipbx (pabx) is really interesting, fantastic trickery with your phone system, you can have landline and voip all on one system and have full control over it, not as complicated as it sounds either.

i`d definately recommend going for a draytek router, for the following reasons.

1. they are more pointed towards small buisiness, so built for reliability.
2. have excellant features, not found on many standard or even low end buisiness class routers.
3. excellant support.

dont get me wrong, i love linksys / cisco , and ddwrt, but i definately recommend draytek.

Recommend it to you for the simple reason that it offers everything you want, including dual wan.

you can have 2 modems on there, or say virgin modem / adsl plus a usb 3g modem for backup.

anyway waffling now lol

heres the webby

DrayTek Vigor - ADSL Routers Firewalls UTM VoIP and Networking Products

but always check ebay though for bargains, despite being a fantastic and quality brand, outside of commercial circles, not that many people have heard of them

i bough a draytek 2910vg for £66 the other week, this router is £150 + new :D

Which draytek unit would I be looking at and does the router has to be gigabit if the switch is gigabit?

What I was planning to do is:
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:
theres a million and one ways to do it.

what broadband do you have? adsl or cable (dsl) etc etc, that will determine which router you want.

do you want to build failsafe in there? (i.e plug a 3g modem in there, or have two internet lines etc etc, being able to stick a 3g modem in there is brill, incase your internet goes down for a while)

your servers, do they have gigabit NIC`s on there?

end of the day simplest way would be to just have

internet > router > 48port gigabit switch > servers and everything else slapped into switch, this means that everything on your local network, if it is capable of gigabit speeds, will be able to connect to everything else that is gigabit enabled.

the spare ports on router could be used for confirmed low bandwidth devices, say two or three voip phones, things that are definately not gigabit enabled.

but yeah your plan would work no problems, but try to keep everything that `could be gigabit` on the gigabit switch.

thats how i would do it, but like i say there are millions of ways of doing, non of them wrong.

what does oneman think?

Back