Get more from your savings

Him Her

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I know some members are similar in age and maybe they're doing the same as I am - in a SIPP/ISA for pension and trying to get the best out of their savings. Maybe some younger ones are trying to figure out what to do. Anyway, I just thought I'd share.

If you're lucky enough to be on some company scheme then you can't do this - sorry :(

However, for SIPP/ISA holders the return on cash is really sh1t at the moment and likely to continue for a few years according to the new BofE Governor, Mark Carney. SIPP or ISA you'll be getting three shades of fook all in interest and the pundits are saying you should be getting into equities to make a decent return - scary.

Bonds are no better, Government Bonds are looking a bit iffy and retail bonds are not a whole load better. Of the 3000 plus funds only a handful make anything useful and you pay to get in and pay again whether they make anything or not.

So, I invested in Dogs. That's FTSE100 Dogs, not them on a leash lol

It's no get-rich-quick-scheme but over the 13-odd years they've been tracked they usually out-perform the market and beat inflation. Even better, newbies like me can pick them really easy.

All you do is search the FTSE100 for the top 10 (or so) shares with the highest yield and buy them in equal amounts in money terms. Hold for about a year then find the next 10 Dogs. Flog the ones that aint Dogs anymore and keep the ones that are. Before you buy, check on Google nothing on your list has announced a dividend cut, if it has then don't buy it. That's it, anyone can do this :)

This site will quickly do it for you but there's plenty similar about - Stock Filter | Interactive Investor

So why isn't everyone doing this? I knew you'd ask. It's because buying shares is scary to most people, the whizz-kids want you to shut up and pay them to do this complicated sh1t and many people want a better return than this pays. I just want a better return with moderate risk and this delivers it.

Don't take my word for it though, there's plenty of others agree, just Google 'FTSE100 dogs' :)

Back