Get discount on your energy bill

cg010169

DW Regular
Reaction score
Found this information the other day, as i was looking over scotish power and turned out my mum could get a discount on her bill, as she got Pension Credit, with 1 quick phone call it was done.
With money being tight and bills going up and up, thought this might be very handy for people even if it's an insight of what they could be entitled to.
Generally its for people on low income or claiming some form of state benefit. But i was amazed how many people i knew didn't know about this, so thought i'd share the information i've found. Wasn't to sure where to post it, so a mod can move it to best suited place.

Home-heat Helpline

Free industry-run helpline for customers struggling to pay their fuel bill or keep warm.

One-stop shop for information on grants, benefits and payment schemes which you may be entitled to, as well as steps on saving money on your heating.

Call 0800 336 699

Other ways to cut your FUEL COSTS

Check your thermostat – every degree increase adds 10% to your heating bill.

Heat only the rooms your need.

Avoid drafts by keeping internal and external doors closed.

Make sure you’re on the cheapest energy tariff.

HOW THE BIG SIX SUPPLIERS CAN help

British Gas

Social tariff: Essentials

Savings of up to £264 for dual-fuel.

Free insulation, energy monitor and standby saver device.

Free benefits health check.

For households with incomes below £15,000 and on mean-tested benefits. Call 0800 072 5230.

Other help: The British Gas Energy Trust gives emergency grants to customers behind with payments and help with other household bills. Call 0173 342 1060.

EDF Energy

Social tariff: Energy Assist

6% discount on standard tariff plus another £37.50 per

fuel off.

Free benefits check.

Free or discounted energy efficiency measures.

To qualify, you must receive income support and/or pension credit and spend at least 10% of your household income on energy. For more information, call 0800 328 9010.

Other help: EDF Energy Trust helps hard-up customers meet household bills, not just gas and electricity. For an application form,

ring 0173 342 1060.

e-on

Social tariff: Warm Assist

15% discount on firm’s standard gas and electricity prices. Eligible to over-60s on pension credit. For more information, call 0800 404 6287.

Other help: Caring Energy scheme offers free and discounted energy efficiency measures and free benefits checks.

Caring Energy Fund provides free or discounted insulation, as well as household appliances.

Valid for households with income below £16,040 a year and savings of less than £8,000. Call 0800 051 1480.

npower

Social tariff: Spreading Warmth

At least 20% discount on standard prices.

Customers can’t apply themselves – you have to be referred by a third party, such as Citizens Advice.

For households with income below £13,500 a year. Customers must be either over 60 and/or have someone in the household who is disabled, chronically ill or under 16.

Other help: Free gas safety checks for certain customers, including those on benefits and the over-60s. First Step Fund could allow those behind with payments to put the debt on hold or even have it cancelled. Call 0845 672 0073.

Scottish Power

Social tariff: Fresh Start

Saving of up to £422 a year.

Chance of free energy efficiency and benefits.

Applies to over-60s in receipt of certain state benefits. Call 0845 270 0700.

info from their site

The tariff is available to customers who are aged 60 or over and in receipt of a social welfare benefit, e.g. Attendance Allowance, Council Tax Benefit (this does not include Single Occupancy Discount), Disability Living Allowance, Disabled Persons Tax Allowance, Child Tax Credit (where household income is less than £14,600), Housing Benefit, Income Based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Pension Credit, Working Tax Credit (where household income is less than £14.600), Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (must also have a Constant Attendance Allowance), or War Disablement Pension (must also have a Constant Attendance Allowance;
ScottishPower: New ScottishPower Social Tariff Cuts Prices For Vulnerable Customers

Other help: Says it is the only supplier actively encouraging existing customers to pick the best deal.

Scottish and Southern Energy plc

Social tariff: Energyplus Care

Up to 20% discount on standard prices.

Free energy efficiency advice.

Free energy efficiency measures, from light bulbs to free or discounted fridge.

Free benefits check.

To quality you must spend 15% or more of your income on energy. For more information, call 0800 300 111.

Other help: Careline 0800 622 838 provides advice to elderly customers and those disabled, chronically ill, partially sighted or with hearing difficulties. A £50 per fuel winter rebate for customers paying between 10%-14% of their household income on fuel costs.

extra information
Social energy tariffs for vulnerable customers.

southern power also owns ebico a non profit energy co.I use and non of the comparison site's can save me anything I pay quarterly direct debit as every energy company i have tried say they save you money but you have to pay monthly direct debit and they keep wanting more so that in the end you are paying for energy before you use it at one point i was £20 in credit at the start of the summer and the company i was with wanted me to increase my payment by £10 pm

edogg

I recently put my folks on e-on's staywarm plan which is for over 60's, one has to meet a few pre-requisite's though, like the household must not have more than 3 bedrooms and someone living in in must be over 60 and one's gas and electric consumption must be within a certain threshold, more info on this plan can be found here Fixed Price Gas and Electricity for Over 60's : E.ON

The best things about it was that now I just pay a standard flat rate every month fixed for a year and the folks can use as much gas and elecy as they want!! Plan will be reviewed after 11 months and the rate we pay could changed based on our consumption.

Worth a look, certainly saved me allot of money!!

Back