Geohot; Dont update to 3.21 cfw coming?

i will be keeping my 60gb offline for a while, hoping something comes of this. dont use it much anyway, use my slim for everything.

I suppose it all depends on if you want to use the PSN store or play online games. If you dont upgrade you wont be able to sign into the playstation network.

Personally I dont care, by the time we will be able to play copied games the playstation 4 will be out.

im still gonna download it , im not fussed about "other os"

how many peeps do u think actually used this feature?

my ps3 is for gameing whether it be online or not ,

i have a pc and laptop for everything else

so their removing it , next peeps will be saying the only reason i brought my ps3 is to install linux etc,,,,, err think not !!!!

bfg

I wasn't going to update with the hope of being able to play backups. But when this was posted last night there was only the first paragraph and nothing was mentioned about backups. Since then the blog has been updated to say cfw will not be to support piracy :( but only to make sure you don't lose otherOS. I ain't missing out on some mw2 bashing if it's only for this. If it optional and you can still play online I may not update though.

If it optional and you can still play online I may not update though.

it is optional. but u will loose the ability to play online games. u need the latest firmware to sign in to psn

I read on maxconsole Sony banning you from the PSN if you don't update.

Who knows, but it might be worth holding off.
MKV support here we come!

Nothink has been said about them adding MKV support. The only way for sure that it'll end up on the PS3 is if the Xbox got it.

I read on maxconsole Sony banning you from the PSN if you don't update.

Who knows, but it might be worth holding off.
MKV support here we come!

they aint banning u for not taking this update. its just the same situation as all previous updates for ps3 and psp, that u can only sign into the psn if u have the latest firmware. if u dont take the update, u wont have the latest firmware.

they aint banning u for not taking this update. its just the same situation as all previous updates for ps3 and psp, that u can only sign into the psn if u have the latest firmware. if u dont take the update, u wont have the latest firmware.

it is essentially banning you if you want t keep the other os
sorta black mail in a way
if you want to play new games and movies-you have to give up other os,if you dont give it up you cant play new games

its not blackmail as i dare say they have the "legal" right to do it but that doesnt make it right
and we all know **** all has come from geohots"hack",thats just an excuse

The thing to remember here is if you were the one calling the shots and it was your money and your operating system feature that was breached on your discontinued systems what would you do? You'd be a brave man to not to do the exact same thing that Sony did.

And for me most people hand on heart would have done the same thing no matter what they might say to the contrary as it's easy to deny but truth is you'd have done the same more than likely if it was your money at stake and your software being breached on old systems. Obviously that's just my opinion because some as a matter of fact wouldn't have taken the feature away and if they didn't take the feature away then what would have happened is that quite simply nobody would have cared and this time next year they'd have had a piracy epidemic on their hands and a PS3 Slim that's tanking in heavy favor of the older discontinued models because of OtherOS related to the hack which will then be a reality in my view.....the hack'll still come, but how many can use it?

So obviously I don't blame Sony, but the truth is as much as I dislike Microsoft for screwing people I'd be saying the exact same thing if they took the same actions. My opinion is the only reason people are upset is because it's Sony and because they're putting you over a barrel with regards to the PS3's funcionality and the OtherOS completely in relation to the future hack unless you go out and buy another PS3. Nothing more and nothing less for me. Sounds familiar doesn't it lads.....yup, end of the day Microsoft do it every year and they do it just to boost sales. Do people kick off nearly as much? Unless I missed it I don't think they do, same point and principle though.

Ah Raven24 was wondering when you would show up to defend Sonys remove of a key advertised feature of the PS3, Seems they can do no wrong with you.

At leats with MS they had prepared to burn certain Efuses in the CPU to prevent the Jtag hack on all 360s that took the 8955 update, ever 360 after june 09 had the new bootloader, no features were lost?

Key feature? Really? that's why nobody really used it yeah.....you know my take on it and you but answer me this, how is it any different to what Microsoft do every year with the 360 ban waves? Because they're directly stopping you from using an a really key advertised feature for hacking the system thus forcing you to buy another 360. Same thing but worse as because of the timing they just do it for sales at Christmas. Other than that though it's the same principle is it not?

how on earth is it the same principle-people who are playing pirated games/have custom dvd drive firmware get banned from live-and fairly since thay have breached the eula

the is no hack on ps3 nor is there likely to be one-people are being punished for nothing-even if there was a hack there punishing people for what they might do not what they have done

Taking advertised features away from the user due to console security compromise? It's the same thing just not on the same scale. There's no arguing the fact that it's Sony's code to do what they like with anyhow, all you did when you bought it was buy the right to legally use it. So technically they were well within their rights to do what they did given the circumstances.

As for the punishment for what might be and not what is point, I agree and does suck for those that used Linux. But are you right to blame Sony? I mean be realistic, a piracy hack was/is a matter of when and not if. Especially now. That's where me and you will disagree until one of us is proven wrong beyond shadow of doubt as we have opposite opinions but hey you know what that's life so it's cool.

I mean think of it this way it's not about your PS3 and it's advertised features at the time you bought it etc because that's a dead issue now and at the time it was all above board when you bought it. The key thing here is this; is it right or legal for anyone to modify software owner's code without express permission? No. Who is the only entity to be legally and rightly enabled to modify software owner's code without express permission? The software code owner. And from Sony to Sean or Microsoft to Michael that's absolutely true if we are talking about legal&illegal as well as what is right&wrong. That is just the way it is.

So why then are some people making a mountain out of a molehill that'd get laughed out of court when the fact is it's Sony's code to do what they like with and you even legally agreed to it? It's got nowt to do with advertising of features when you bought it and all that jazz because back then it was there and present. Now it's not but certain things change and certain things remain the same. You bought a PS3, and with that the right to use Sony's code when you handed over your money and you also accepted the fact that legally Sony can modify their operating system code however they see fit as it's their right to do so with their code on your PS3 that you bought from the moment you accepted the terms and conditions thing. That's basically it in a nutshell. OtherOS was a tertiary feature of Sony's code which they've since removed at their discretion as they deemed it unnecessary to it's main function amongst other things and you legally agreed to it when you accepted the t&c. So where's the problem?

The thing is I recognize the fact that Sony can pretty much do what they want with their own XMB code at any given time on my PS3 as that element of the PS3 (including mine) ultimately still belongs to them even though it's mine to use "freely". But therein lays the crux of the argument. The only time you'd have a case legally or even morally is if the primary features were taken away like the ability to play PS3 games or Blu ray movies as then it wouldn't be built for purpose due to the necessary features for the console to function properly to perform it's main duties having been taken away. And that'll never happen for obvious reasons. But OtherOS simply does not fall into that category no matter which side of the fence you're on. Obviously. But what doesn't help either is the fact that your PS3 is a discontinued model but that doesn't matter because though the PS3 is yours the live OS is still their property it's just you've paid to use it legally.

Illegally however is a whole different realm and a totally different story where legal and ethics don't apply.....

No point having games if u cant play em online so u may as well take the update. I think it is such a good system that is constantly trying to move forward, updates are just part of that.

Much like pc games, if you dont update to latest version you end up playing on your own !

The question is, how many people here acutally use linux on their PS3? Very few I would imagine, and if this had not arisen, not one of you would of complained about losing Linux. Sony are merely ensuring the security of its flagship console is not hacked before its made enough money back from the production and manufacture of the console.

From what I understand of the geohot hack, he is simply releasing cfw to allow linux to be used. There will be no other features, no pirated games, or anything else.

The reason that no other hacks have come to light, is still down to the security of the console, although geohot has hacked it, and found a way into the hypervisor, there are very few people who can turn this hack into something that the general public would understand, or want to use. Majority of people want a hack that will allow piracy, I very much doubt that geohotz will release a hack that will encompass this feature. We all want this hack, yet none of us can contribute to the scene. So stop bitching, take the update, or dont. Choice is yours.

Back