Gas Plasma Displays

damage

Inactive User
Reaction score
i was just wondering do Plasma displays eliminate the need for high voltage deflection coils and the long neck of a CRT. as a flat plasma monitor is a digitally controlled electric current which flows through the appropriate parts of the matrix, causing the plasma inside the bubbles to give off ultraviolet rays. These rays in turn cause the bubbles' phosphor coatings to glow the appropriate color.
so is the CRT still required for the correct operation of the t.v but of a shorter design to make it a flat ? its been bugging me for minutes
:confused:

Plasma display technology is a new "emmissive" flat panel display technology which gives you the rich, accurate color fidelity of conventional Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) monitors in a large display that is thin enough to hang on the wall. It's the best way to achieve flat panel displays with excellent image quality and large screen sizes viewable in any environment. This technology known as "plasmavision" is an array of cells, known as pixels, which are composed of 3 sub-pixels, corresponding to the colors red, green and blue.

Gas in a plasma state is used to react with phosphors in each sub-pixel to produce colored light (red, green or blue). These phosphors are the same types used in conventional cathode ray tube (CRT) devices such as televisions and standard computer monitors. You get the rich, dynamic colors you expect. Each subpixel is individually controlled by advanced electronics to produce over 16 million different colors. You get perfect images that are easily viewable in a display that is less than 6 inches thick.

Step 1: Address electrode causes gas to change to plasma state. Step 2: Gas in plasma state reacts with phosphors in discharge region. Step 3: Reaction causes each subpixel to produce red, green, and blue light.

any wiser i am not :D:

yes thats what i thought but you don't like to ask do you as it may sound a silly question ...

Back