Freesat -Not from sky

youll get everything that freesat from sky has to offer, with the exception of the channel FIVE channels (for now) and sky three. other than that youll get all the same channels as theyre broadcast FTA

wouldnt mind this,presume i can get it in ireland ok?

also is the freesat encrypted,i.e could i just get a darkbox hd or something instead of a freesat box and throw it on to a motorised sat dish setup?

Most of those channels arent encrypted and havent been for years so you can already get them with other sat receivers, motorised or not. Channel 4HD and some other Ch4 ones will be free-to-air soon.
You wont get the internet services like bbc iplayer on another receiver though and you wont get the freesat epg. Theres nothing much new for people who have already have sat equipment, this is for those who want to get into simple satellite tv and to realise that dont mean expensive sky. For people who want digital tv choice, or HiDef as cheap as possible.

the main thing freesat has to offer is HD for £120.
no other platform can match this.
at the moment this is the only way to get ITV HD, and it's currently only through the red button (press red for HD version of program).

if you only want SD, SKY for £75 (including 4 months free mixes) is the better offer. This also includes installation. Look it up on the comet website

....if you only want SD, SKY for £75 (including 4 months free mixes) is the better offer....
I agree its the cheaper offer (if there is no dish at the home), but 'better' is a matter of opinion. With this offer you are actually signing to subscribe, and it is your responsibility to cancel after 4 months. The retention rate from this offer is 80% so it shows its just to get subscrptions, not really a comparable 'Freesat' offer. Sky's standard freesat costs £150, so that is £20 more expensive than bbc/itv SD, and dont forget many have a dish or would fit their own too :).

Additionally, comparing the very old outdated epg sky has to the new epg, you cannot argue sky is 'better' imho. Who really wants freesat 4 months in, and to have to trawl through dozens and dozens of sky channels that dont work? Ok what about the future of the systems too? BBC/ITV freesat will offer more like internet services, the ability to change your region without needing a card that is controlled by sky, receivers that control disecq, receivers that can record without subscription, etc etc.

I think the point that people need to start learning is that if you want subscription tv then go for Sky offers. If you want free choice then go for the new freesat. If you want full range satellite tv then go for neither of those 2 systems :).

I think "satellite = sky" will soon be dead.
Regards.

Just to add, the future of tv really is about High definition and as much choice as poss for free. So for people wanting to go in that direction now-

bbc/itv box from £120, plus £80 instal if needed.
Sky box £399, plus £120 instal.

At this point I dont think the SD market is that important to either company as the digital tv market is well covered ~with freeview; sky old equipment or expired subs (aka freesatfromsky); fta/eurosat.

Its all about which system will grow/sell. Sky currently have just under half a million HD customers, so lets see how quick this freesat service takes to catch up and overtake. As soon as the pvr versions come out it becomes real trouble for sky.

Last edited:
Its all about which system will grow/sell. Sky currently have just under half a million HD customers, so lets see how quick this freesat service takes to catch up and overtake. As soon as the pvr versions come out it becomes real trouble for sky.

Id bet money on it that freesat HD sales have overtaken sky HD customers by xmas this year, as long as the freesat HD equipment is readily available for those who want to buy it

Id bet money on it that freesat HD sales have overtaken sky HD customers by xmas this year, as long as the freesat HD equipment is readily available for those who want to buy it

That will only happen if they get the channels up and running first ! @ the moment you only get bbc1 hd and thats transmitted in mpeg2 ? and should be mpeg4.

I love the idea of freesat but it needs to get its house in order first and get the channels live.

Im sure as time goes on someone will produce a pvr hd box for it,although it may be better to do 1 now rather than later after people have already layed out for a non pvr box.

im gonna hang on till all the fuss is over and humax have brought their version with a hardd drive in it to record to.says june/july for a release.are there any out now that can take a hard drive for freesat ?.

Back