Free solar panels worth £12,000

If You were to try and get this through british gas, do you have to be a bg customer? and are You then tied to bg for 25 years?
The Offer is open only to existing British Gas private residential customers, who own the freehold interest of their properties in Great Britain and only where such properties are considered by British Gas (and or its affiliates), in its sole and full discretion, to be suitable for installation of Solar PV Panel. British Gas reserves the right to verify the eligibility of all applicants having regard to factors including but not limited to roof space aspect, roof size, robustness of existing electrical installations and whether the roof includes any existing structures such as windows or chimneys. The Offer is not open to customers who do not have an operating credit meter for the supply of electricity to their property.

it all looks good, we have british gas coming out in a few weeks to assess. i was told by them its limited to 1500 people total, if our property is suitible then were in, but you have to be quick.
the stipulations are that you have to have a south facing roof thats over 20meters square.
something else he mentioned was you can take an intrest free loan to get the system put in, the govenment will then pay you 1k per year, over a term of 25years, i personaly am not intrested as ive seen too many lies from the govenment and witnessed them reneg on so many promises id rather british gas take the hit.
they take off £152 per year of your electric bill as rent for your roof space, then your free to use any electricity that is generated by the panels free of charge.
from what information i could gather the system will switch between national grid and the panels automatically, so having our tv on all day now would be effectively free of charge if it generates enough.
either way its a win win situation as far as i can see, the only small print is it stays with the house for a period of 25years, if the house is sold it stays so has to be told to the prospective owners on the disclosure, but i really cant see that being an issue if the panels are invisble from street level like they would be one our house.

well the BG man called we are going ahead with the instalation
as said above the panels stay with the house but i see it as a benefit to sell your house how many ppl will turn down free electric to amke it easier to fit
you need a light in your loft if not they will fit one and charge you
the loft needs to be boarded out if not they will bring boards and charge you

they come 1 day and put up scafolding fit the panels next day then return and remove the scaffold

you basicly use the electricity in the daytime but pay at night
so you are advised to do all you washing etc that uses electricity during the day and dont do much at night

what they fit is 2.52 kWp 20m2 we are getting 12 panels if you want the bigger you pay the difference

ours should be done in about 4 weeks

can get them in Edinburgh - cause there's always sunshine on Leith. :)

they work by the light. doesnt have to be sunlight.

bg man visited me the other day.
not getting mine.bg said my roof was 60cm short.bg man said you have to have minimum space of 2 roof tiles surrounding 12 pannels.
any way found out my roof is strong enough for anything to go on it.

so guys,

is this company and ashadegreener the same thing or different?

I missed a call from them on my mobile. Well not missed but when I answered all I got was static and buzzing. Phoned the number back said the call wasn't important and they would get back to me. They haven't and I'm annoyed since the roof is big enough and faces perfectly due south :(

well the BG man called we are going ahead with the instalation
as said above the panels stay with the house but i see it as a benefit to sell your house how many ppl will turn down free electric to amke it easier to fit
you need a light in your loft if not they will fit one and charge you
the loft needs to be boarded out if not they will bring boards and charge you

they come 1 day and put up scafolding fit the panels next day then return and remove the scaffold

you basicly use the electricity in the daytime but pay at night
so you are advised to do all you washing etc that uses electricity during the day and dont do much at night

what they fit is 2.52 kWp 20m2 we are getting 12 panels if you want the bigger you pay the difference

ours should be done in about 4 weeks

nice one mate, just to clarify, your going with bg correct?
they will charge you for the larger panels? - how much?
they have already said on the phone call that ours would be suituable for the larger panels but said fa about being charged.
Im of the mind that if they have to stay for 25years, and i dont own the things, its thier responsiblity then im not paying anything tbh- christ they are getting 1k per year from the govenment per installation.

we already have loft lighting and boarded so thats not an issue, but cheeky fookers wanting to charge you to install something THEY need.

cheers again, roll on 27th oct...

nice one mate, just to clarify, your going with bg correct?
they will charge you for the larger panels? - how much?
they have already said on the phone call that ours would be suituable for the larger panels but said fa about being charged.
Im of the mind that if they have to stay for 25years, and i dont own the things, its thier responsiblity then im not paying anything tbh- christ they are getting 1k per year from the govenment per installation.

we already have loft lighting and boarded so thats not an issue, but cheeky fookers wanting to charge you to install something THEY need.

cheers again, roll on 27th oct...
yes we are going with bg
they didnt say how much the larger panels where but they do fit the smaller set up free
they are with you for 25 yrs and they pay for any repairs to the system it still belongs to them

bump guys.

The ones getting the attention here are from British Gas. Not the same company but there are quite a few companies out there who are offering a similar package.

Excusse me but these are businesses and governments that we are dealing with hear. Okay so they knock £152 a year off your bill, as anybody asked what they are actually making on this offer. You can bet they aint loosing. Government are making a small mint on european funding back handers here there and everywhere. Brit Gas and the likes will be making a mint at the tax payers expense. Dont forget due to bad winters and cost of fuel you will hear the words "oh dear im sorry mr solar panel owner we are going to have to raise your bills by oh yes you guessed it £152 a year" (or more). Meanwhile we supplying dirt free electricity into the circuit and charging a ferkin mint for it to other folk as well...

The age old saying "The best things come to those who wait" has never rung so true on this issue. Ramming the global warming sh*te down your throat so you have no choice but to believe you need solar panels then getting you to waste your hard earned cash on technology which will no doubt need replacing in 5 yrs or so. I'm afraid yet again somehow or other through the backdoor or frontdoor theyre going to say "its going to cost you Mr hardworking individual". Well I say "shove it up yah a**e Mr Politicaly Business minded person im going to wait for a better deal thank you very much".

Repairs to the system does not include the price of upgrading the technology. Please bear that in mind. Your electricity prices will rise in line with inflation at the least, however your deal is struck at £152 which will mean this will gradually reduce over time. Dont want to put you all on a downer on this issue and i do agree that something needs to be done for our childrens future, however i dont want you guys going into it with your eyes closed and yet again the small man gets raped by the bankers and the likes when taking loans out for these projects etc...

Last edited:
Excusse me but these are businesses and governments that we are dealing with hear. Okay so they knock £152 a year off your bill, as anybody asked what they are actually making on this offer. You can bet they aint loosing. Government are making a small mint on european funding back handers here there and everywhere. Brit Gas and the likes will be making a mint at the tax payers expense. Dont forget due to bad winters and cost of fuel you will hear the words "oh dear im sorry mr solar panel owner we are going to have to raise your bills by oh yes you guessed it £152 a year" (or more). Meanwhile we supplying dirt free electricity into the circuit and charging a ferkin mint for it to other folk as well...

The age old saying "The best things come to those who wait" has never rung so true on this issue. Ramming the global warming sh*te down your throat so you have no choice but to believe you need solar panels then getting you to waste your hard earned cash on technology which will no doubt need replacing in 5 yrs or so. I'm afraid yet again somehow or other through the backdoor or frontdoor theyre going to say "its going to cost you Mr hardworking individual". Well I say "shove it up yah a**e Mr Politicaly Business minded person im going to wait for a better deal thank you very much".

Repairs to the system does not include the price of upgrading the technology. Please bear that in mind. Your electricity prices will rise in line with inflation at the least, however your deal is struck at £152 which will mean this will gradually reduce over time. Dont want to put you all on a downer on this issue and i do agree that something needs to be done for our childrens future, however i dont want you guys going into it with your eyes closed and yet again the small man gets raped by the bankers and the likes when taking loans out for these projects etc...

They are making a good deal of money out of this. Basically there 2 options to consider ( I know there are far more but this is the gist ).

1:
If you go with deals like these you get a reduction in your bills so you save money. The company that installs the equipment gets paid by the goverment to the tune of around £500-£1000 per year. You have no outlay. But inflation and increasing prices will make it less attractive as time goes by.

2:
You pay £10,000-£15,000 upfront for an installation and then over the next 25 years you get paid £500-£1000 a year from the government and make money in the long term.

So, if you have £10,000-15,000 to spend and don't mind the upkeep of the equipment and the additional house insurance then you can make money. Some people are extending their mortgages to do this as the interest rates being so low make it worthwhile. If you don't have £10,000-15000 to spend and don't want or can't put it on a good mortgage deal or loan or want to wait years for a return then the deal is good.

Last edited:
yep correct they are payed 1k per year for the system as a govenment sub, but tbh knowing the govenment they will probo reneg on this offer a few years down the line - its a 15k gamble for bg or the owner of the house if you decide to pay for the system yourself.
and also knowing the govenment they will probo charge you tax on the 1k per year as income so they get you that way.
the £152 discount is only a part of it, your also free to use all the electricity the panels generate free of charge - so if your like us and have tvs on all day along with the washing machines, etc this can equate to quiet a big discount no matter how dear the electric becomes if you use it wisely during the sunny days.
something you need to be aware of is you need it listed on your home insurace policy, in the case of your house burning down bg or other company will chase you for the cost of the system, thier insurace covers any damage to you your home or 3rd party damage, but if your house damages the equipment then its a different matter.

I got this today after I signed up for ISIS solars free panels a few months ago after reading a thread on here:

Hi

Thank you for applying for ISIS solar’s free solar power offer. Unfortunately your property is not suitable for our system.

Currently we are looking for one or two story properties with near due south facing pitched roofs of 30m² or larger.

Thank you again for your interest. If there is any change in our offer we will contact you to see if you are eligible.

I recieved this today!

Congratulations. Your property looks eligible for ISIS solar's free solar power offer!

Read below to learn how to benefit from free electricity for 25 years.

What happens next?

We will send you our contract. Once it has been signed and returned we can arrange a survey.

We need a signed contract to arrange a survey. Please use the prepaid envelope to return it to us as soon as possible.

Installations will be dealt with on a first come first serve basis.

The survey is there to ensure we can install the system and to protect your property. It will be conducted by MCS approved installers.

What are the benefits?

Reduced electricity bills. Save hundreds on your annual spend each year for 25 years
Clean electricity. Less dependence on energy that harms our health and pollutes the environment
More attractive property. Studies show that homes with their own renewable energy supply sell faster than those that do not
We look forward to receiving the contract and meeting you soon.

Lawrence Buckley

Managing Director
ISIS solar

However i will be reading the contract very carefully.

Back