Free solar panels worth £12,000

Hi wondered if anyone has had the panels fitted by BG and what they think of the whole experience. I have BG coming in on Tues to assess if my property is suitable or not.

My m8, who is a curious fellow, spoke to ISIS about this offer as he thought his roof was just right, apparently it's not quite in facing the right direction. But he asked them about what would happen if he needed to re-tile his roof, and let's face it if your house is already a good few years old it will probably want re-tiling sometime in the next 25 years.

Their reply to him was that HE would have to pay for the re-installation of the solar panels after having the roof re-tiled, they only pay for the initial installation and maintainence. The sales person also said that this is standard practice for all companies that install these solar systems.

I had a call from BG the other day but I've changed my mind about having them installed. I'm going to wait a few years for the technology to come down in price.

Other reasons I chose not to go with it was the fact that as energy prices increase the savings will diminish and I don't want a covenant on my house that possibly ties a buyer into using this service, say in 10 years time, when inflation and energy price increases have reduced the amount saved by this installation to a few pounds. ( I don't plan on moving any time soon but the future I cannot read )

/generally too many t&c's in BG's favour.

If they had contacted me sooner I'd have gone through with it and may have regretted it.

I had a call from BG the other day but I've changed my mind about having them installed. I'm going to wait a few years for the technology to come down in price.

Other reasons I chose not to go with it was the fact that as energy prices increase the savings will diminish and I don't want a covenant on my house that possibly ties a buyer into using this service, say in 10 years time, when inflation and energy price increases have reduced the amount saved by this installation to a few pounds. ( I don't plan on moving any time soon but the future I cannot read )

/generally too many t&c's in BG's favour.

If they had contacted me sooner I'd have gone through with it and may have regretted it.

But surely if energy prices go up so do your saving's?

But surely if energy prices go up so do your saving's?

No, because you only get so much off your bill per year. ( regardless of how much energy you use in the day for free ). If you get £150 off and bills go to £500 a year then you still have to pay £350 a year. If in 15 years time bills go to £1500 per year you still have to pay £1350 a year. Your percentage saved drops every year.

This year, with the panels, my bills would be much cheaper but as time goes by they near the point that they are virtually no cheaper than without the panels.
It's a saving, no question about it, but the savings diminish as time goes by.

I'm going to put my expected saving aside and use them to buy panels in the future.

Last edited:
Hopefully the efficiency of the PVs will be better soon as well.

Back