Fox Hunting...

Him Her

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Nothing too contentious, just some observations...

Fox hunting is part of village life in many rural areas and has been for centuries but over the past few decades it's changed quite a bit and not just because of the ban. I've seen lots of reporting, from the BBC to activists, but none of them seem to have a clue about what's happening!

Anyway, there are a number of local hunts and Boxing Day is always a favourite - whatever the weather. People gather in the car park at the local pub and the landlord usually serves a few snacks and something 'warming', like brandy or whisky!

If you ever visit it's important to learn a few little things to avoid injury...

It's Boxing Day 2011 and we are all gathered around the car park as the riders start to turn up - I user the term 'riders' loosely as some of them can't tell a hoof from an ar*ehole (for the uninitiated, the hoof is on the bottom of the leg, four is a good number). The ar*ehole is at the back. Now, there's nothing interesting about a horses ar*e so if you're close enough to check out all the detail a life threatening moment is likely.

Some horses have two ar*eholes, the first place to check is what's in the saddle :) Not all riders are ar*eholes though so we spend a bit of time doing a muppet test - sorry, equine skills and experience assessment. Starting with the clothes.

Local members will be wearing serviceable, reasonable quality stuff that may have seen better days but isn't tatty. Professionals will be in red jackets, usually, and we chat but there's nothing more to check. Wealthier members will have higher quality but not ostentatious clothes, they'll be calm and experienced. They may not be very good but they know how to keep out of the way so no worries there. It's the last lot we're checking for...

Usually given away by the deliberate flash of a designer label, like a Mulberry Brazilian hide protector for their Blackberry. They often have a glazed expression - we keep out of their way!

After a few snifters the hounds arrive and the riders get ready for the off. This where it starts to get hairy and why you need to know who the muppets are. They won't ride much, hunt occasionally and gallop rarely. They can't jump for shit!

Now, 30 or more riders are about to set off galloping, following a pack of dogs chasing summat no-one can see, the riders are half-cut and will top-up regularly to keep the cold out! They're all sitting on a half ton animal whose brakes work in an unpredictable manner ("Whoa, boy" is pure Hollywood), a third of these riders are muppets. Finding this out when the leading horse balks at a fence is the best way to view Yorkshire from the window of the Air Ambulance...

We check the horses too. Ears back - BAD, bulging eyes - BAD, twitching around - BAD! Get at least six feet between you and them. Some of them are sly b*ggers - a steady gaze from a horse that's gently moving its ar*e around in your direction signals time to move.
Curiously, foxes are few and far between around these parts, probably because most of the land is laid over to arable farming. So, no nice tasty lambs, ducks or chickens to have a go at. Piglets are too risky - you wouldn't believe what a p*ssed off sow can do...

...there's an old dog fox, though, regularly sits on a hummock near where the hounds are kennelled, waving his brush defiantly while the hounds all go mental. Not that they know it's a fox, they're just dogs and the fox is an intruder. It's the only fox they've ever seen!

So what does the hunt actually chase if they can't get the scent of a fox? Whatever smelly thing the rag gets dipped in - the rag is dragged behind a lead horse starting about 10 minutes ahead of the rest. Rumour has it they've been using the remains of last nights Big Mac for a while now. So the hounds probably have an image of 'going large' rather than cute old Basil :)

Whatever, it's still a fact that no fox has been caught in living memory...

[Additional material from my daughter, local impoverished horse trainer, vegetarian, animal lover and regular hunt rider]

Do you take drugs ?

Sent from my iPhone

I'm all for a group of toffs getting all dressed up and meeting up for a hunt with the dogs as long as they arent chasing a real fox and just someone with a scent then its all good. :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just because something is a tradition doesnt mean we can't be better humans and get rid of stupid traditions. After all we don't still hunt witches and burn them at the stake or lock up people that have physical disabilities.

Anyone wanting to hunt should be first made to live the life of the fox, and have a pack of blood thirsty animals on horseback chase him for hours, and some dogs too, and then if he still wants to hunt he should be deposited in a country where it's still legal.

Just because something is a tradition doesnt mean we can't be better humans and get rid of stupid traditions. After all we don't still hunt witches and burn them at the stake or lock up people that have physical disabilities.

Anyone wanting to hunt should be first made to live the life of the fox, and have a pack of blood thirsty animals on horseback chase him for hours, and some dogs too, and then if he still wants to hunt he should be deposited in a country where it's still legal.

Anyone wanting to ban hunting should first be made to run a country smallholding and have the fox come and kill your stock, chickens, ducks, geese, lambs and not for food, for fun as they kill everything in sight and leave it for you to find, they will dig up your garden and veg patch looking for worms and leave roundworm and mange for your dog or cat to catch, tip over your bins, dig under your sheds and the list goes on. Then he or she should be made to ride out with the hunt..

How confusing, Captin, your first paragraph suggests we should show tolerance while your second sets the proviso that we all agree with you?

My post was merely an observation - personally, I'm ambivalent.

As for the legality of hunting - you clearly don't understand the ban...

Anyone wanting to ban hunting should first be made to run a country smallholding and have the fox come and kill your stock, chickens, ducks, geese, lambs and not for food, for fun as they kill everything in sight and leave it for you to find, they will dig up your garden and veg patch looking for worms and leave roundworm and mange for your dog or cat to catch, tip over your bins, dig under your sheds and the list goes on. Then be made to ride out with the hunt..

Anyone who uses silly excuses like the ones you've just posted should be smart enough to secure their belongings in the first place.

If there is a fox problem then there are far better ways of dealing with it. Traps and relocation / putting fox to sleep or maybe shooting on sight come to mind. Your argument has failed my friend.

Hunting is cruel and subjects the animal to hours of terror and torture.

Last edited:
Anyone who uses silly excuses like the ones you've just posted should be smart enough to secure their belongings in the first place.

If there is a fox problem then there are far better ways of dealing with it. Traps and relocation / putting fox to sleep or maybe shooting on sight come to mind. Your argument has failed my friend.

do you think so i would ask a few people that live in the countryside first my friend
losing all your stock is not silly

Agreed.

My missis has been on a drag hunt(they drag a cloth soaked in aniseed)which in my eyes is a far better thing to do than run a fox down.It keeps everyone happy.

do you think so i would ask a few people that live in the countryside first my friend

I'm not saying foxes aren't a problem for farmers etc I'm saying that do you really think that the best way to deal with a fox problem is to chase it and torture it with fear for hours?

As I said earlier im all for the toffs to get dressed up and run about with the horns and dogs but a fox doesn't need to be shredded to pieces at the end of it. I'm usually pretty good at seeing both sides but in this case I strongly believe you have absolutely no argument whatsoever.

I'm usually pretty good at seeing both sides but in this case I strongly believe you have absolutely no argument whatsoever.

Unfortunately, it's an emotive subject. I was describing a drag hunt...

...however, the methods used to control the pest (fox) should have been thoroughly examined prior to the ban in my view. Traps and snares are inhumane in the extreme as are many of the available poisons. You have to catch the sneaky b*gger before you can put it to sleep. Shooting is possible, at night, with a well-lit environment and plenty of time to spare. Oh, and a good story for when the local coppers turn up at 4:30am wanting to know why your place is lit up like a football stadium and sounds like a fecking war zone...

tbh I didn't see the relevance of the post last night, is it in the news again or something?

tbh I didn't see the relevance of the post last night, is it in the news again or something?

Yes, the PM openly supports hunting and some groups are agitating for a repeal of the law. Many commentators seem to have not the faintest clue as to the realities of hunting but comment anyway. Of course there are/were bad aspects - there are in most things. My post was a perspective on village life triggered by the latest news...

Back