Fox Hunting...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Unbelievable

Last edited by a moderator:
Each to their own I say, just don't involve me in archaic medieval traditions. We have "Urban Foxes" where I live, but they don't cause any problems and as has been said, hunting isn't for targeting the means of alleviating problems it's for the pure fun of it, so the argument doesn't stand up.

But again personally it might have been an idea to put some context to the original post rather than it appearing as a random cut and past with no ultimate goal or reason.

Now, 30 or more riders are about to set off galloping, following a pack of dogs chasing summat no-one can see, the riders are half-cut and will top-up regularly to keep the cold out! They're all sitting on a half ton animal whose brakes work in an unpredictable manner ("Whoa, boy" is pure Hollywood), a third of these riders are muppets. Finding this out when the leading horse balks at a fence is the best way to view Yorkshire from the window of the Air Ambulance...

:lol: By far my favourite part. You paint a very pretty picture. : mr ed :: mr ed :: mr ed :: mr ed : :fredthered:

Btw, never trusted horses myself. Relation of mine was kicked by their own horse which lead to the contracting of gangrene, which ultimately lead to their death; albeit long before the days of modern medicines and surgery.

Last edited:
Anyone wanting to ban hunting should first be made to run a country smallholding and have the fox come and kill your stock, chickens, ducks, geese, lambs and not for food, for fun as they kill everything in sight and leave it for you to find, they will dig up your garden and veg patch looking for worms and leave roundworm and mange for your dog or cat to catch, tip over your bins, dig under your sheds and the list goes on. Then he or she should be made to ride out with the hunt..

Fox hunting was started as a sport in the 16th century, nothing to do with pest control.
It also has a habit of weeding out old, sick weak fox's, not the strong young healthy ones, therefore not actually killing the fox's doing the damage to livestock.
More foxes are killed in road accidents than fox hunting, thus making road accidents a more successful argument for pest control.
Wildlife management is far more successful, in terms of stopping fox's doing damage, such as lamping.
In Australia, where foxes have played a major role in the decline in the number of species of wild animals, the Government's Department of the Environment and Heritage concluded that "hunting does not seem to have had a significant or lasting impact on fox numbers." Instead, control of foxes relies heavily on shooting, poisoning and fencing.
There are now many humane methods to control foxes including fox proofing methods such as fences, electric or not, ultrasonic devices, and chemical products. These, in many cases, are far more practical than traditional methods, particularly for smaller areas of land.

One of the other arguments for fox hunting was the loss of jobs, the people for fox hunting said between 6000-8000 jobs would be lost. But since the ban in the UK, there has been no evidence of significant job losses, and hunts have continued to operate along limited lines, either trail hunting, or claiming to use exemptions in the legislation.

Fox hunting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
While I might take minor issue, it would not, in any way, change your point. Hunting with dogs probably dates back to pre-Roman times although then the results were largely destined for the pot (deer, boar etc.). The 'traditional' fox hunt was probably developed later than Wikipedia suggests although opinions vary and it's difficult to pin down exactly.

However, it is well-known that foxes were actually introduced in many places to provide something to hunt. It doesn't appear that hunting in any way controlled numbers of foxes anywhere although it is difficult to get accurate data..

Humane deterrents here. Many are available on ebay.

Information on foxes here. Pro-hunting views here.

Valid points Captin :)

Last edited:
Back