Foolproof indian Recipes

oneman

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
As requested by somebody.

Seeing I am a lazy git, I use the same paste for several different dishes. Good news is it freezes well so great to make in a big batch and then portion into freezer bags and freeze. If you are organised enough, take it out of the freezer the night before you want to use it else just plop it in hot'ish water and it should defrost in 20 minutes.

Basic onion base curry paste.
½ cup sunflower oil
1 tablespoon Cumin
1 teaspoon Fenugreek seeds
1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
3lb onions, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed or finely diced
1 inch cube of ginger finely grated or diced
1 tablespoon tumeric
2 tablespoon ground coriander seeds
2 tablespoon ground cumin
4 tablespoon garam masala
2 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
Boiling water
Juice of two lemons or limes

Note, you should be able to get the ground coriander seeds and cumin ready mixed.
Crushed garlic and ginger should be available frozen in Indian grocers.

The first couple of items happen very quickly so have everything ready before you start.
In a heavy base pan heat oil until shimmering (just below smoking point).
Add cumin and fry for a few seconds
Add fenugreek seed and fry for a further few seconds
Add mustard seeds and fry for further few seconds
Add onions, and fry until starting to soften
Add garlic and ginger, reduce heat to medium and fry until onion are starting to brown, about 5 to 10 minutes or so.
Add ground coriander seeds and cumin mixture, tumeric, garam masala, salt and suger. The mixture should come together and become crumbly.
Add enough boiling water to form a paste.
Cook for a further 2 minutes, add lemon or lime juice and remove from heat.
Give it a couple of stirs while it cools and it should be done.

Split into batches and freeze. I normally split into 1/2 lb batches as that will be enough for 4 generous person curry on average. Note there is no chillies in the paste as that will be added at cooking time if required.

Chicken Korma
Very mild, good for the kids.

1 1/2 lb of chicken cut into bite sized pieces. I use boneless thigh which has good flavour.
Small amount of oil
1 batch (1/2 lb) of curry paste
1 teaspoon chilli powder (optional, I don’t use this for the kids)
1 large pot of natural set or Greek yogurt
2 tablespoon tomato puree
2 tablespoon of ground cashew nuts
Fresh coriander to garnish (optional)

Brown chicken in the oil in a oven proof dish. Add the rest of the ingredients and pop into the oven for 20 minutes at around 160C. Garnish with coriander before serving with rice, nan or chapattis.

Spinach Chicken
1 1/2 lb of chicken cut into bite sized pieces. I use boneless thigh which has good flavour.
Small amount of oil
2 teaspoon chilli powder (change to taste)
1 large can of tomatoes, chopped or blitzed
Large handful of chopped spinach leaves or methi if you can get it

Brown chicken in the oil in a oven proof dish. Add the rest of the ingredients and pop into the oven for 20 minutes at around 160C. Garnish with coriander before serving with rice, nan or chapattis.

Coconut Lamb or Beef curry
1 1/2 lb of lamb or beef cut into bite sized pieces and coated in plain flour.
Small amount of oil
1 teaspoon chilli powder (change to taste)
1 can of coconut milk
1 can of meat stock
4 tablespoons of desiccated coconut

Brown meat in the oil in a oven proof dish. Add the rest of the ingredients and pop into the oven for 40 minutes at around 150C. Garnish with coriander before serving with rice, nan or chapattis.

Last edited:
Thanks oneman, i've been meaning to try some indian cooking for a while, i'll give some of this a go :)

Vindaloo, hmm,

Brown meat, either chicken or beef. Add chunky chopped potatoes.

Add all purpose curry paste as listed. Chiili powder or chillis plus vinegar and tomatoes to taste.

Cook till meat and potatoes are done. garnish with corriander.

Serve with nan or rice or chappaties.

Last edited:
I've made BIR (British Indian Restaurant) style curries with the base before but can't be bothered with it anymore... too much messing. I may try this one though, looks interesting and not like the BIR ones I have tried!!

I made some BBQ sauce last week out of Merry Berry's book and just tasted like a tomato base for a bolognese or something.

After a few days in the firdge it seemed a shame to throw it out so curried it by throwing my spice tin at it and bingo, turned out to be one of the nicest curries I ever made, real BIR standard.

Try these recipes if you can't be bothered making a vat of the base sauce.

http://www.curryfrenzy.com/curry/html/curry-recipes.asp

Last edited:
You can also try this guy, he is pretty funny as well but the recipes are not to bad. Its filmed in India but the shows are in english and there is a web site as well.

YouTube - vahchef's Channel

Here's a good forum dedicated to creating BIR (British Indian Restaurant) dishes in you own kitchen. The members really know their stuff.

I've made many a recipe and with some practice you will churn out curries that are easily as good as your local...

Curry Recipes Online - Index

Tip:

Buy creamed coconut blocks instead of canned milk, it's only 29p a 200g block (better that 60p+ for canned milk) and makes 600ml of coconut milk or 450ml of coconut cream.

You get it from Tesco/Sainsburys/ASDA in the world food bit, usually the 'KTC' brand.

All's you do it chop it up, add boiling water, stir, sieve, done!

'every little helps'

Just made this tonight and can confirm it is a very nice Indian home-made-style curry and recommend that people try it. Tips I would give are to not to use old spices (over 6 months for ground and 12 months for whole), or it will taste bland and woody. Buy your spices from Indian or Chinese supermarkets as Asda or the like will rip you off for the amount you get.

When you break it down this curry is very healthy. Another tip to make it more healthy is to use olive oil, I use olive oil in all Indian cooking BUT NOT CHINESE; you cannot get away with olive oil in Chinese cooking!!!!!

All those onions and fresh spices... Very healthy... And I know it was a good curry as I am getting a curry buzz off it and feel sort of doped up and very chilled out :coolafro: always a good sign, lol...

With my paste tonight I just added a couple of chillies and 1 can of tomatoes and about a cup (200-250 mls) of water and let it cook out for 15 mins with Sunday's left over chicken and split the rest up into 5 freezer bags for another day.

Here are some pictures!!

that looks delish madeinbeats YUM
good work oneman
:thumbsup: all round

Two questions for you oneman.

question 1.

can you explain the functions of the OSI layers backwards, without copying from google.

question 2.

is this the same curry paste the takeaways use as a base for 99% of there currys? if so, gonna have a go at it today as ive got all that in me cupboards..................

cheers bud ;)

Question 1, OSI 7 layer model or microsoft bastardised 4 layer model, lol

7 layer model, without looking it up, can't remember the names but objects in each layer

1.Nic \ Cabling
2. Bridging / hubs
3 - switches
4 - QoS switches
5 - O/S
6 - Presentation, encryption I think
7 - Application

Question 2, not exactly but they will use something similar. Used to work in a Indian restaurant years ago. They have a couple of base pastes and work from there. Problem is they got to get food ready in 5 to 10 minutes so some level of preparation is going to be required.

@Cheeky, This is deffo more Indian homemade style, but is really nice one and worth a pop, you will like it. As Oneman says, you can pimp this base into almost anything by adding whatever to it.

@Oneman, I've made a few BIR style bases before and by and large they are well too time consuming and a pain to make, but if you have a simple method I'm willing to hear it ;) Also, have you or your missus got one for bindi bargee? Got a feeling it will just involve this base and a few chopped tomatoes... Oh, and pillau and special pillau rice?

I just waz star anise, cassia bark, cloves, cardomons in etc, but like reading what other people do so I can experiment... I get pretty near perfect basmati/pillau by washing, then in a pan with 1 and 1 third water to rice, bring to boiling point, then down on the lowest gas for 12 mins exactly with a tight fitting lid so the steam doesn't escape. I do the same for long grain rice only it's the same amount of water to rice for long grain...

Love to hear yours and anyone elses rice methods/recipes though... About time DW had its own curry club!!!! :proud:

Best chicken tikka I had tasted for a while was from 'indian food made simple' series on BBC. magic ingredient turned out to be cheddar cheese. I am sure the recipe must be on youtube or the web somewhere.

Back