Foolproof indian Recipes

JUST MADE THIS, DIDNT HAVE FENUGREEK / MUSTARD SEEDS

but hot dang, very nice, made it as per instructions, but added one veg stock cube, tin of tomatoes, some smoked paprika (love that stuff) and chicken, thats it.

superb curry, not hot even the dog wolfed it down (leftovers) gonna make this again, just need to get the rest of the spices / herbs.

cheers buddy

Love to hear yours and anyone elses rice methods

I wash the rice, then put it in a pirex bowl add twice the amount of boiling water to rice amount, add colouring and spice if wanted then micowave for 15 minutes or until the water evaporates without stiring.
I only have a 650 watt micro wave so if You have a more powerful one lower the time
my m8's 800 watt takes about 10 minutes, and works a treat.

Personally for rice most of the time I use a rice cooker with decent quality rice that has been washed. Might take a couple of attempts to get it right as cookers and rice vary. You can add spices and herbs in there are well. Something simple like bay leaf and cinniman stick work well.

By total accident I bought a bag of rice thinking it was basmati and turned out to be something called 'Pakistani kernal', had rice that tasted the same from Indian(Bangladesh/Pakistan ;)) restaurants before and wondered what it was, wonder no more... Think I prefer it over basmati.

The restaurants and takeaways normally do a sort of 'chef's special' rice which is normally fried in some way, but not come across recipe for anything like this yet.

Well, just took 2 bags of Oneman's ruzza out the freezer for tonight. Gonna try adding some chicken stock tonight and slow cooking it for about an hour reducing it down. Using the Knor stock pots, anyone tried them? Taste very close to fresh stock, much better than stock cubes. Will add half a can of toms to each and a bit of pure' for more depth and tang.

Also going to add extra garlic and onion (dupiaza) just becasue I love it... Making one of them vindaloo strength too.

Is it tea time yet??? Feck....

This is how i do mine
Rinse rice in a sieve under cold running water,
put rice in a pan of cold water for 15-20mins,
Drain then level rice out, put double the amount of water to rice
Bring to the boil
Turn rice right down cover and simmer for 10 mins.

Perfect basmati everytime.

Used the last bag of this up on Tuesday Oneman, lol... quality stuff... I'm always experimenting so might try a different recipe next time, but if I have one too many disaters I know this will always be here to make again, lol...

Always made this, and its the best curry around. Same stuff they use in the restaurants.

1 x Pataks Madras Curry Paste
1 x Large onion
3 x Chicken Breast
1 x Coconut block
1 x Jug of Water
Salt and Pepper.

Dice the onion, and lightly fry until blanched.
Add the diced chicken, and seal the chicken (White on outside but not cooked in the middle).
Add half a jar of curry paste (Use the paste, and not the ready made sauce), more or less for taste requirements. Stir thoroughly ensuring all chicken is covered and onions.
Add jug of water
Allow curry to start simmering.
Add coconut block
Salt and Pepper.
40 mins simmering to allow to thicken.

Slam in some rice and chips, couple of poppadoms/naan's.

Munch it down, like your in chinatown.

just joined this forum looks ok cheers

Here's the link to the recipe I keep going back to:

Login (SnS's Base Gravy June 2008)

It's a base sauce and a madras recipe to go with it.

If you follow it to the letter you will get a great BIR curry. Thought it would be good to recommend one as there as so many to choose from...

Back