Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

folders when streaming to ps3

BIG-HOL

VIP Member
VIP Member
right im trying to stream a folder iv made with some mp3's inside from my laptop, the mp3's are inside the folder that iv named mp3, but when im streaming it through wmp12 on windows 7, it streams the files and copies them but all as single songs in there own folders, instead of 1 folder with all the singles mp3's inside!!!!

when i copy over a album iv downloaded it copies it like it should with all the folder directories in the right place, so how come when i make my own folder and add songs it does not copy like that, got me baffled....

can any1 help??????????

The folder you have made and stored your mp3's add that folder to the library and its location in the sharing.

i think it summit like options, library tab, configure sharing.

should show up as u have em on pc.

it works though when im using an album iv downloaded, just not when i make my own, when i look at the folders there the same, with the same subfolders, it just doesn't work for the 1's i make.. and it no good just having 500 single tracks on it as it would take ages to find out?

got me head done in!

ahh is it not then summit to do with the way it manages the library, can you not manage it yourself.

like itunes if i say download a compolation album with different artists iTunes always wants to put each sone into a folder as per artist name.

How are you sorting the folders. Have you added the main folder, the one named mp3 to media player sharing list ?

well the way iv done it is to add a folder that when it streams it looks for it on my desktop called stream, then i just put the files i want on the ps, in that folder. so i guess im managing them myself!

Last edited:
Create your own folder under say music then under this you can have all the musice folders. But dont have too many sub folders. I made this mistake with pics and the ps3 would only navigate through so many.

Now if its windows 7, click the media player icon on the task bar. click organise then music then add folders. add the music folder or what ever you have named it.

now also goto the new folder and go into it. Thee shold be a option at top to share this folder. then turn the ps3 on.

see if that helps you

thanks mate al give this a go when i can get the telly back lol!

report back once im allowed to touch the remote haha!!

thanks mate al give this a go when i can get the telly back lol!

report back once im allowed to touch the remote haha!!

lol me and mrs are the same, all you get form the min our wee girl gets up is, EVA's programs. 9am to 9pm :)

when i go into libraries then music, i have 2 folders, both which i created, with the folder in with the songs inside the folder, my ps3 recognises these 2 folders, so when i go into media server, music, folders then stream it sees the mp3 folder with the songs inside but when i press triangle then copy it just loses the main folder called mp3 and copies them all as single folders with the songs inside them!

when i go into libraries then music, i have 2 folders, both which i created, with the folder in with the songs inside the folder, my ps3 recognises these 2 folders, so when i go into media server, music, folders then stream it sees the mp3 folder with the songs inside but when i press triangle then copy it just loses the main folder called mp3 and copies them all as single folders with the songs inside them!

So you trying to copy over the files for local playback on the ps3? but you want the same file structure as on the pc

all i want is so the main folder to stay intact when i copy it over so that theres a main folder called mp3, then inside that the songs are inside the folder, but what im getting is not 1 main folder with the songs inside, but a folder for every song with a single mp3 inside, its got is fucked mate haha!

all i want is so the main folder to stay intact when i copy it over so that theres a main folder called mp3, then inside that the songs are inside the folder, but what im getting is not 1 main folder with the songs inside, but a folder for every song with a single mp3 inside, its got is fucked mate haha!

I get you now. I dont keep anything local on the ps3 HDD either stream it or play it form a local ext drive.

I dot think you can copy a file structure over. cant even remember if you can creat it on the ps3 then copy files over

iv got files that iv made in the past that are exactly the same file structures and have worked fine, that was on vista, now im using w7 it just dusn't seem to want to do it. as for creating on the ps3 you cant do it like, all ya can do is make a playlist but then all the songs are stil gunna be in single files which would do my head in!

wonder if it would copy ok from an external hard drive, im gunna try it 2moro as i dont have my harddrive with me at the minute!

If you're talking about local playback file structuring on the PS3 it's not the best, but for music it does work well. Though it's a bit of a pain to set up. I've done it though lol.

Copy your music be it MP3 or lossless WMA files whichever, it'll go into 1 folder named wankersRus....then comes the tedious bit.....you have to go into each mp3 and go into the properties section and name the song but under album you want to call it whatever you want the folder to be - and you need to do this for all files which you want in that folder, so if you are going by album you'd obviously call it Nevermind, American Idiot etc with the corresponding album songs....while here though also it's a good idea if doing albums to order the song list in the order they are on the album, but again it's a 1 by 1 process, then to cap it all off download the album cover off the internet on the XMB and pretty it up for the finishing touch. I've only got a few albums on mine or I wouldn't have bothered I don't think but the folder structuring is definitely better for music on PS3 than it is for video on PS3. If you're willing to spend an hour tops putting the effort in and doing it right. Unless you've hundreds of mp3's then it might take forever lol.

But if you're on about streaming then feel free to ignore this or take it on board regardless. Small tip though, if ever you transfer video or HD rips for local playback on PS3, if you want it organized make sure you tap the square button until it displays by album - then name that folder Films or whatever and copy all your movies into there in one click - or do as I did and categorize it by copying 1 subject at a time and name the folder to the corresponding type, so for example in my case of categories and examples; Blu Ray Rip - Die Hard, DVD Rip - Jaws, TV Show Action - 24 - Season 5, TV Show Comedy - Only Fools And Horses - Christmas Specials.......and so on. Reason is because video structuring on PS3 is only 1 folder deep. So you can't have uber micro categorization like you can on PC. Sadly for me. When it comes to whole seasons of tv shows. But again I did the best I could with what I had to work with and it's all good now. After having taken the time last summer and done the boring stuff. But I did it properly and I've been reaping the rewards ever since though, same for my PC too that's why it's a joy to use instead of a pain in the arse to navigate. Basically it seems to be a hobby of mine, categorizing for efficiency and then prettying up. It's boring as shit when you're doing it though it's worth it when you've done it lol.

Last edited:
Lol you know it's funny, I offer help and there's not one single reply or even a thanks click in nearly a full week. Yet when drama troll shit is going on you're straight in when that's going down......especially when I'm involved. There, that's all I'll say.

Now just watch this thread kick off lol....and I'll laugh my ass off when it does and it likely will because it's Raven24 that's posted and some people can't resist a dig, but I'll laugh because it'll just prove everything I've said. Not that it needs proving. My points are already factual. I'm just making a point of saying I offered help that went totally unacknowledged. Last time I help anyone if they can't even muster any form of acknowledgement. Bollocks to that. I ain't being made out to be a twat for **** all and then not get credit where it's due. That's just bullshit. If it's gonna be like that then I won't offer help and I will be a twat.....which basically means if you think I'm hard to take now, you ain't seen nothing yet because I haven't even started being a twat to anyone yet.

thanks for the help mate ffs, but the way you have explained, if i was to do that it would take forever as theres so many albums too be put on, sorry i didnt reply i forgot all about it, cheers for the effort in your reply but iv gave up on it now!!!!

as for the rest of the bullshit ya talking i really havnt got a clue what ya going on about!

Lol see.....point proven, you couldn't bring yourself to do it without talking shit about me could you....the fact is I shouldn't have even have had to say anything to get any form of acknowledgement for the help given. It doesn't take much to click the thanks button if someone takes time out to give you help when they don't have to, doesn't take much to click thanks or even to reply decently - even if you think he is an arsehole. And you of all people with your thousand odd posts should know that full well. A week without acknowledgement and then a sarcastic/insulting reply within minutes only after I mention the fact well you don't need me to tell you that takes the piss. So you know full well what I'm talking about and don't act like you don't.

As for the help I gave you, obviously it'll take forever if you have loads of albums but that really is your problem.....yeah it's convoluted and it's not a quick thing, but it works and it gets you something like what you were after. Bottom line. But as for music you might be better off with your 360 or WinAmp on the PC or something because they have much better media players for music. And it's quicker.

Last edited:
Back