Flick The Bean! (Coffee)

Exos

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a Bean 2 Cup Coffee Machine at the weekend. (Magnifico 4200)

Got a little bit obsessed but I didn't realise there was so much choice over coffee and I feel a little overwhelmed.

Tried some Taylors of Harrogate from the local Asda (3 and 4 strength, but I just don't seem to find it very strong at all), plus having a bit of a challenge trying to work out whats best for frothed milk and how others seem to get it so creamy yet mine is like warm bubbly milk.

Anyone else have one, what do they use or recommend?

I'm no Barista by any stretch, but just want something to taste creamy and not like water.

I have been looking to upgrade tot his machine for a little while but struggle to justify the price.
But I will get one lol
I use a burr grinder at home for my coffee and use lavazz beans, these are excelelnt.
Also excellent and more expensive is illy coffee.
You wont go wrong trying those 2.

Let a bit of the steam off before frothing the milk as there is always a little water to escape first.
Also for creamier frothy milk use full fat milk.
Once milk is frothed, banf the jug on worktop a little to lose the fine bubbles.
Youtube have some good videos on frothing the mik correctly.

A few years ago we bought a Gaggia bean to cup machine. Don't think the kettle has been used since. :)

We've gone through an enormous amount of different coffee's.

Most of the strengths are measured for 1 shot espresso, so if you are having a normal mug of coffee then the strength will be lowered by having more water in.

We don't go for the most expensive coffee ether, we got some for £35 for 500g we though was awful.

For everyday drinking we use Litchfields Rich Roast, £50 for a box of 12 x 500g from Bookers. 100% Aribica.

We have 2 shots in a normal mug and none of that white crappy fairy dairy stuff to water it down. :)

We also use Taylors After Dark, which is quite nice too, again 2 shots in a mug and taken black.

The mrs likes the occasional cappuccino, but not very often as we don't buy milk and the cats goats milk doesn't make good froth. she buys goats milk for the cats as a treat because all cats are lactose intolerant and are not supposed to have cow milk, goats milk is also better for humans than cows milk and doesn't taste much different these days.

Gaggia, I wish I could afford one, I was gagging at the £300, and was tempted by a £500 half price one but my missus was already rolling her eyes.

So am i right in saying if i set the cup size lower and use more milk it's more likely to be stronger? (I'm using cups not mugs)

At the moment I have both the grinder element and the strength at full.

I'm getting a little confused to be honest, I've read various sites saying stay away from Supermarket beans because they are not as fresh, I've read to use skimmed milk instead of full fat, but then others seem to indicate the opposite.

These are what I've tried so far:

Taylor's Rich Italian Coffee Beans (4)
Rich Italian is ideal for those who like their coffee luxuriously smooth, without any bitter notes. We've used high grown arabica coffees from Africa and the Americas roasted dark - but not too dark. It is a perfect after dinner coffee.

Taylor's Lazy Sunday Beans (3)
We love Sunday. It's a day for pottering and pleasing yourself. The best way to start the day is slowly, relaxing with the Sunday papers and a pot of coffee. We created this blend especially for Sundays. It's smooth, delicious and moreish, and tastes perfect with breakfast breads and pastries.

I've also just bought the below and ordered some Lavazza from Amazon.

Taylor's Colombia Excelso Coffee Beans (4)
Our Colombian beans are roasted on the darker side of medium to bring out their rich, tantalising flavour. The coffee combines fruit and nut tones for a cup that is delicious at any time of day.

Last edited:
Had my Lavazza delivered today and damn what a difference in taste and strength, the Taylor's stuff is pants compared to it.

I also made a really good choice in getting a milk thermometer, as I at least know now i wasn't heating/frothing it for long enough.

Just get a metal jug you will soon no when it's hot enough I do and it's best to use semi skimmed milk straight from the fridge for best froth

Back