flashing by usb

ellie1998

Inactive User
Reaction score
I can't flash by usb from the front of the box.

I have updated the cfe.bin with a null modem cable and it still won't take the usb stick though I know it can see it.

The cfe.bin is dated 5th March 2012.

Is there any key combination I can use on the box during bootup to get it to flash from the stick ?

I can flash from within linux but need to do it from the front of the box as i'm not sure if the oe_kernel.bin and the oe_rootsfs.bin live in the same /mnt point or not.

I have the latest vix that I have built from their code and I want to test it to see how far they have got.

edit: didn't read Q properly, soz

Last edited:
You can flash a backup within the image. If you want, I can flash your image and send you a backup which is created.

Would you be interested in the November bootloaders? PM being sent.

It's in the right structure.
I have flashed the cfe using control centre but it still won't flash from usb.
I will try putting the cfe.bin as well.
The compile I have here is oe_kernel.bin, oe_rootfs.bin and the splash.bmp
This box has always been iffy about taking usb flashes which is why I worked out how to backup the lot so I could recover the box.
I need to use the usb as I'm not sure if the oe_kernel.bin goes on mtd1 with the oe_rootfs.bin or not.
If I can't test then not worth playing with the compiles.

You can flash a backup within the image. If you want, I can flash your image and send you a backup which is created.

Would you be interested in the November bootloaders? PM being sent.

My bootloader is marked as march of this year, it came with controlcentre (I believe posted by you).
I can make a backup of my existing and flash it again.
I want to test this as it is from the recent vix code and I want to see how far they have got.

Yes, you are right, I uploaded the March bootloader. As you've also said, simply adding the cfe.bin to the other two files updates the bootloader. No need for RS232 cable then.

There is this "bootloader by RS232 and LAN" as well as "boot loader @image for non iQ " from 26/11/11.

Tried adding the march cfe.bin to the other 2 files on the usb stick but no joy still :(
Will try flashing one of the other cfe.bin files using rs232 during the week.

the latest ViX image is build 96, ive not tested it yet, as the commit logs dont mention anything for the twin, and every image ive tried, from 64-85, have all had the same issues that EVERY twin image has, so ive not bothered trying any of the last 5-6 images ive downloaded

once i see a mention of the twin in the commit logs, ill try it out, untill then, ill blindly assume, that like everyone else, vix is also waiting for something to happen with the driver integration

I accidentally bumped into USB update mode, but not got it to install. I don't know if it is looking for a particular file name. I put the existing files in the normal update folder as well as on the root of the drive, it still did not flash. As you have discovered the yet to be posted method of flashing, it may help......

After you get "checking key", press "menu". USB update will be displayed.

Mine doesn't say checking key it goes from
starting 000
to
the image info.
I flashed my enigma2 section back on from the non enigma2 area using a backup I had made of the mtd1 section.

The box works fine but not sure if oe_kernel gets flashed to mtd1 or mtd2, don't want to completly trash the box.
@digi, I am not looking at flashing the precompiled one but 1 I have compiled here from the vix source code.

The box works fine but not sure if oe_kernel gets flashed to mtd1 or mtd2, don't want to completly trash the box.

apparently, the boxes CANNOT be bricked*

its under a year old, so im sure that any form of breakdown would see it replaced under warranty, no matter how it happened ;)

* : terms and conditions apply, the value of your investment may not be worth more or equal to what you have paid in, PPI does not apply, must be serviced annually at a registered branch of toysRus, not suitable for children under 35 years of age due to incomplete parts, do not take after alcohol, always read the lable, may contain nuts, theyre not even square.....

Last edited:
I havn't bricked it as it works fine.
I just can't flash a new image :(

yeh, i mean to try it anyway m8 ;) if the box dies, change it under warranty, as you was only flashing new software.......

mine wont flash with the Ethernet cable plugged in if i pull it out the back of the box it will flash first time

Back