fitted kitchen

johnbhoy

Inactive User
Reaction score
Any kitchen fitters in the house???

I am gonna buy a fitted kitchen from ikea with fitted hob and oven and about 8 units. Anyone any idea who much this should cost to fit. its a small kitchen and the units will be set up in an L shape. the sink has copper pipes to the tap and should be roughly in the same place. so there is notmoving of any pipe or switches. the wooden worktops wil have to be mitred. Had a guy quote £1800 to do it but i think he is having a laugh at that price. I will be removing most of the units myself. (with excepton of the sink unit as dont want to touch plumbing)

Have posted a picture if thats helps.

hi m8 if its just fitting the units no tiling and flooring involved then it shouldnt be no more than £650 + 120 for for the hob installation( gorgi) if u want the tiles and the flooring done too then u be looking about £1450-1550

Hi It does seem on the expensive side.
Also see if he is doing a but an scribe joint on the corner. This normally costs an extra 40 -80 quid.
Bio

Hi mate I a new kitchen from IKEA work units were ok but the applices where crap dishwasher died after 13 months but was sh*t from the start I got a 5 burner hob which the ignition switch brunt out and the sink unit is all European fittings if I was going to buy another kitchen I just get the work units

thanks for the replies i thought about the £800 mark with the hob installation part being about right. Will be doing tiling and flooring myself. Just never fittted a kitchen before otherwise i would give it a go myself. It certainly dont look that hard i think its just time consuming.(with the exception of doing the worktops).

hi m8 if ur good with woodwork and measurements then i'd say go for it, if ur not good with centermetre and millimetre then dont attempt it ther is alot of precise measuring and cutting involved especially with the worktops and 1 wrong cut or mismeasurement could end up costing u 70-100 quid a pop but it is a great feeling if u can do it ur self then u can sit back and admired ur work and say to peeps i did that

if you aproach a friendly joiner to do it as a Homer (side job) Im sure your £800 budget would more than cover it.

If you are in glasgow i might be able to put you in touch with someone.
Pm me if required m8

Kitchen fitter

Hi Johnbhoy, If you have a Howdens Joinery shop/showroom, just ask for some of there fitters cards and get one or two to give you a quote, they are reasonable and quick.
Kind regards Ashes

you can do this your self
start in the corner under the window.level a line round the wall at the hight of the units keep all base units in line with it,that will ensure your w/tops are level.dont go for a butt joint with jointing strips.get w/top scribed a jig is about 80 quid and you will need a router.get a company do do it about 40 quid for 1 joint.wall units should be spaced to suit tiles if poss less cutting involved. remember to plywood floor with min 6mm if not concreate.corgi rules apply for gas, get him to plumb sink at same time if not sure
best of luck whatever you decide

hi i have just gutted kitchen replaced plumbing put in all intergrated appliances replaced sockets done work top with cheapo jig off ebay did job fine laid granite floor if you are in to diy you should be fine but as others have said measuring is tedius and has got to be right and a good plan of action helps be prepared for some headackes i would not do it again even though i saved a transit van full of money the misses ended up like a pitbull chewing a wasp with mess and the speed of the job as i told her i am a mechanic not a kitchen fitter in a nut shell m8 pay the money its easier

hi i have just gutted kitchen replaced plumbing put in all intergrated appliances replaced sockets done work top with cheapo jig off ebay did job fine laid granite floor if you are in to diy you should be fine but as others have said measuring is tedius and has got to be right and a good plan of action helps be prepared for some headackes i would not do it again even though i saved a transit van full of money the misses ended up like a pitbull chewing a wasp with mess and the speed of the job as i told her i am a mechanic not a kitchen fitter in a nut shell m8 pay the money its easier

LOL. Excellent. thats my kind of thinking. Was worried about it not seeming like such a big jon at the start but then you reliase when you have not maybe got the right tools n stuff if becomes a nightmare.

you can do this your self
start in the corner under the window.level a line round the wall at the hight of the units keep all base units in line with it,that will ensure your w/tops are level.dont go for a butt joint with jointing strips.get w/top scribed a jig is about 80 quid and you will need a router.get a company do do it about 40 quid for 1 joint.wall units should be spaced to suit tiles if poss less cutting involved. remember to plywood floor with min 6mm if not concreate.corgi rules apply for gas, get him to plumb sink at same time if not sure
best of luck whatever you decide

Thanks some useful advice there. Did not realise you would have to l to play the floor. Its not gas. just electric. Have not checked yet if its plyed but this is the sorta thing i would appreaciate knowing before starting.

My mates getting in touch with someone about getting a more realistic price so will see what he says. If not then will give you a pm Ianbb. appreaciate the offer. Not sure if there is a howdens nearby but there is a Jewsons. WWould that be the same ?? Can always try. sure they will know people..

yeah the more i think about it the more i am thinking just pay someone to do it and save myrself the hassle.

thanks for the replies i thought about the £800 mark with the hob installation part being about right. Will be doing tiling and flooring myself. Just never fittted a kitchen before otherwise i would give it a go myself. It certainly dont look that hard i think its just time consuming.(with the exception of doing the worktops).

it is very easy mate you need a couple of people there other than that it is very much easy mate and don't take long!

The difficult bit is having to set the worktop

There are a few points in here that u must consider when fitting yourself for the first time.

ok guy's are u ready for this.......

Remember, I'm blonde and female....lol

a couple of years ago, i bought a kitchen from MFI. I went there with measurements of kitchen, sat down with the assist, who done a plan for me on the computer. They ask your measurements (of the kitchen that is...lol)
ask where the door is and windows, they then ask wot appliances you will be having (not nesscary from them) as they have to put in the correct way...i.e..cooker opposite fridge, rather then next to each other, (for obvious reasons) cooker not to near the sink or not near the window (again for obvious reasons) something i wouldn't of thought about. Then there are the infills, something else i didn't know about. They put in intergrated fridge, intergrated freezer, oven with hob above it and intergrated washing machine. Chexked with me that there was no fans or anything else like that where units couldn't go. they put all that in the computer and it laid everything out for me in the correct places, also telling me wot size units could go where. This was so usefull cos for example...the sink under window, i could only have an 800mm unit under it, because of adjenct appliances, then i had to have infills either side of it, this would allow for the fridge and washing machine to fit on the adjecent walls. My kitchen is a U shape upside down. Anyway, it was so much easier, she then printed of a list of everything i needed....i.e...3 X 600mm doors only for intergrated appliances, 2 X draw covers (with no draws) for under the sink, (dummy draws) how much infilss i would need, plinths, cornice, corner posts etc....they wanted £1000 to fit it for me. So i just bought from them everything i need, like the computer said, also they give u a 3D image of how it will look at the finsh and excactly where everything should be laid out. It then got delivered and picture instructions for everything that i had bought how to assemble it all. I bought my work tops from B&Q. I already had a jigsaw and circular saw, screw drivers etc.. (as i am a bit of a diy'er...lol) and then .....bob's your uncle...i fitted the whole kitchen myself. The only thing i couldn't do was mitre the work tops, so i did the awful thing and used the joining strips...(which i wouldn't recommened u do) and it's strange that this thread should come up now, cos it was only last week that i got someone in to replace me worktops for me, well i bought, they fitted them...He was a friend of a friend, didn't get it done any cheaper (yeah.. some friend...lol.,) but this guy is a builder and charges £130-£150 a day. so it was 2 days money, but believe me mate, i have done almost everything in flat, from arches, ripping door frames out, tiling bathroom, dropping toilet cistern and boxing a plastic one in, then tiling it...etc....but when i see how these worktops where done, with the jig, router, then cutting the underneath of them all to allow for the clamps to go into place...etc, i'm so glad that i didn't hire the tools and do it myself.
Take my advise mate if you've never done it before, like i hadn't, go to somewhere like MFI, who can put it into the computer and lay it all out for, tell u excactly what u need, then everything comes delivered with, like the screws, fittings etc..for ewverything u have bought, then fit it yourself, believe me, if u don't do it this, u will come accross many obsticles which hadn't realised at the time of planning. U have to remember that is it rare for all units to fit wall to wall when buying a kitchen, as many of them have little infils to fill the gaps. Do it this way then afterwards get a builder or kitchen fitter to fit the worktops. Oh just one other thing to remmber, as this is where i went slightly wrong, but i got round it, if u are channeling in plug sockets around the worktops, leave about 6 inches from the worktop to allow for the plug to go into socket...lol also,with appliances, like fridge, freezer, washing machine,cooker..etc have a socket in the wall behind them all, then have fuse switches above work tops for saftey, in case they have to be turned off in case of fire..etc.
There is so much thinking ahead to be done when doing this job. Luckily i had someone to guide me on these tips before going out and buying and fitting it, then finding out these problems as i go along. But honstley, i fitted the whole kitchen myself.....good luck

we buy the units already made as for me this is the worst part putting them together lol

trust me do it yourself but get a propper chipie to router join the worktop (hide the join) its a real hard job for someone with no experiance making the hidden joins, but seriously pal dont worry about it the units are easy to move around and the feet do the leveling work (twist up or down) and as long as you have a spirit level and a tape measure you will be fine....

you can even use pushfit (speedfit) connections for the plumbing of your sink... and if the electrics dont need moving there is nothing really stopping you, corgi registered to connect to a bayonet fitting dont make me laugh (but do get it commisioned for peace of mind which will be not much more than a call out fee!!!!) if the gas is not already in place you will need a corgi registered plumber to sort it out (dont mess about with gas).

if/or you are having an electric hob and oven then my guess would be you need to make sure you have a 45amp breaker in your DB that will run your hob... also check the rating of the hob it might not need as much but they normally have a 6mm cable to them. Ovens are normally 13amp (and lower) and dont have issues on the ring main, unless they are double ovens and you will need to work out your other apliance ampage.

its not a huge kitchen so i dont think it will take longer than a few days (with not much experiance) and as said you will be very satisfied when its done.

Back