Ferrari issue F1 quit ultimatum

Is this what Mosley wants the future of F1 to be like?

pitpass - the latest, hottest F1, GP2, GP2 Asia & A1GP news

As long as I spend less than £4o million, can I enter this car. I think it would suit the street circuits.

soapbox.jpg

Very good Jaffa.
Did you see the interview with the one of the bosses of 'Lightspeed' who want to take part next year.
His target is merely to make the grid and compete with the tailenders.
They are an F3 racing team. It's an absolute farce.

Very good Jaffa.
Did you see the interview with the one of the bosses of 'Lightspeed' who want to take part next year.
His target is merely to make the grid and compete with the tailenders.
They are an F3 racing team. It's an absolute farce.

I have no idea what they are up to or how they think it will work out.

my personal opinion is this....I have constantly said this so forgive me for repeating myself.

I hate the way Ferrari have a grip of F1 but I applaud them this time....can it survive without them....probably but not as profitably. Ferrari have a massive following all over the world, you watch it so you know that no matter what track you go to the always seem to have followers in their thousands, if they pull out F1 will lose that. I may hate the way it seems they have the decisions go their way most of the times but I DON'T EVER want to see F1 without Ferrari. I think there will be a compromise.

Ferrari is the ONLY team that has competed in every season since the FIA was formed in 1950. I would suspect there's more chance of Mosley going than Ferrari.

actually, it indicates that Ferrari need F1. not, necessarily the other way round.

Is this what Mosley wants the future of F1 to be like?

sorry guy, that is little more than "motor Sport snobbery". Colin Chapman, transformed F1, when the manufacturers were at their hight in the sport. and he was an eccentric working from his garage (well initially anyway). and people like him are the lifeblood of F1, as they bring all the innovation. Ferrari has an appalling lack if innovation of any kind. (except spending money, trying to make other peoples ideas work). indeed all the "big" teams have a bad record when it comes to innovation.

actually, it indicates that Ferrari need F1. not, necessarily the other way round.

sorry guy, that is little more than "motor Sport snobbery". Colin Chapman, transformed F1, when the manufacturers were at their hight in the sport. and he was an eccentric working from his garage (well initially anyway). and people like him are the lifeblood of F1, as they bring all the innovation. Ferrari has an appalling lack if innovation of any kind. (except spending money, trying to make other peoples ideas work). indeed all the "big" teams have a bad record when it comes to innovation.

F1 most definitely need Ferrari. Eccleston and Mosley know that. What F1 doesn't need is Max Mosley.

Colin Chapman was a motor engineering genius, Whose ambition was to win not hope to even qualify to make the grid.

Grand Prix racing should be about building the best possible racing car, that costs money, lots of it, racing it and pushing the envelope of technology.

Interesting debate here, however I agree that Ferrari needs F1 more than F1 needs Ferrari.

Personally, I'd tell them to go f*ck themselves. Two can play at the brinkmanship game.

The FIA have no powers to tell teams what to do:

lol, Garbage. FIA have and will always write the rules. whether they have the power to or not (which they do). unless they teams agree. they simply refuse to give a licenses to the event. result? No races. FOTA threatened this bull $hit, some years back. "we don't like the FIA, so we are going it on our own", result? they are all still there (FIA controlled F1). why? because the circuits they planned to race on need an FIA sanction, in order to do so. they will all throw their, collective, toys out of the pram. then quickly pick them all up, and go racing under the FIA.

Rules are rules, if they don't like them, find somewhere else to race! the loss of Ferrari, and the others. may well free up the sport. putting back in the innovation. and stopping the vast waste of money by the top teams.
you may not be able to think of F1 without these cars. but F1 will not die if they stop taking part. these teams very well might.

where would Ferrari race if not in F1? think of one other form of motor sport and see if they have ever succeeded. yep that right, there are none. again who needs who? F1 now, would be much better off if they were not racing. because they are not that good at it. all they do is throw money at the problem. they are actually the cause, along with those who chose this flawed route too, of the problems the sport has now. so changes are made so the sport does not die., what do Ferrari do. shout and scream and threaten to take their ball home. apparently its unfair to a team who waste £300,000,000 per year if costs are reduced. lol, i don't know the BrawnGP budget, but its vastly less than that of Ferrari, yet the Brawn cars are leaving the red cars in their dust. as are RedBull. this, in truth, is what frightens Ferrari. as it shows that given an equal budget, they would be lucky to qualify off the back row. they ar, and always have been, counterfeit merchants. but without the money, they can no longer pay someone to do the work.

So Eccleston and Mosley don't know what they're talking about then.
There are quotes from them in the article.

There are numerous quality racetracks around the world and Europe to accommodate the teams.
No track has a lifelong contract.
It would be easy to rid the world of the FIA, all they own are pieces of paper with signatures on them.

lol, Garbage. FIA have and will always write the rules. whether they have the power to or not (which they do). unless they teams agree. they simply refuse to give a licenses to the event. result? No races. FOTA threatened this bull $hit, some years back. "we don't like the FIA, so we are going it on our own", result? they are all still there (FIA controlled F1). why? because the circuits they planned to race on need an FIA sanction, in order to do so. they will all throw their, collective, toys out of the pram. then quickly pick them all up, and go racing under the FIA.

Rules are rules, if they don't like them, find somewhere else to race! the loss of Ferrari, and the others. may well free up the sport. putting back in the innovation. and stopping the vast waste of money by the top teams.
you may not be able to think of F1 without these cars. but F1 will not die if they stop taking part. these teams very well might.

where would Ferrari race if not in F1? think of one other form of motor sport and see if they have ever succeeded. yep that right, there are none. again who needs who? F1 now, would be much better off if they were not racing. because they are not that good at it. all they do is throw money at the problem. they are actually the cause, along with those who chose this flawed route too, of the problems the sport has now. so changes are made so the sport does not die., what do Ferrari do. shout and scream and threaten to take their ball home. apparently its unfair to a team who waste £300,000,000 per year if costs are reduced. lol, i don't know the BrawnGP budget, but its vastly less than that of Ferrari, yet the Brawn cars are leaving the red cars in their dust. as are RedBull. this, in truth, is what frightens Ferrari. as it shows that given an equal budget, they would be lucky to qualify off the back row. they ar, and always have been, counterfeit merchants. but without the money, they can no longer pay someone to do the work.

Personally I am not bothered if Ferrari leave the sport. I dont see that their tactics of just buying their way through the last decade is what 'sport' should be about, I honestly dont agree that F1 needs Ferrari and its fans. The sport has lost so many more fans over the years due to Ferrari killing off the 'racing' element that I hope time will give less 'red' spectators and more who are interested in watching true motor racing. Bottom line is, Ferrari need F1 more.

However, the argument being pointed out isnt garbage :) which is why it will go to court action. It seems FIA dont have the right to dictate finances and commercial aspects. The question is are they 'dictating' finances if they have left it open for teams to choose.... ~so making new rules that create the two-tier system that the teams dont like, but which is seemingly within the governing law? This is the problem, its not clear who will win this one.

FIA will continue to give teams the choice, and set the 2 different sets of rules, which is what they are possibly allowed to do. Ferrari will argue in court that this is influence on commercial aspects of the sport, which FIA are not allowed to do. Any compromise simply isnt clear, and at this point doesnt look likely from either side!

FOTA mainly failed at a break-away F1-racing due to lack of support from Ferrari. Now that Ferrari want it too we may see that happen (although probably not). It is clear that the majority of teams really do not like Max & FIA but I dont think that will make FIA 'give up'. In the end Ferrari will just have to start from scratch and learn how to race in the real world, or not. [shrugs shoulders]

Back