Favourite 'back-up' method

i use swap magic 3.6 with the slim tool to work on my slim ps2, aint had no problems with it at all still got the warranty seal and only paid 15 pound ! any game has and will work with it, the only good thing you need is good media if you got that then it will be perfect you'll be smiling for ever once you getting it working all the time

Untouched PS2 for me with HDAdvance and a HDD, install the HDD in a PC to transfer backup game ISOs super-duper quick, games load super fast and no more faffing around changing CDs/DVDs.

IAmATeaf said:
Untouched PS2 for me with HDAdvance and a HDD, install the HDD in a PC to transfer backup game ISOs super-duper quick, games load super fast and no more faffing around changing CDs/DVDs.

I looking to do this, using the same method as you. Do you also need a network adapter then? Which Hdd are you using? Does it need to have usb aswel as the plug to fit into the back of the network adapter.

Is it easy to download games + store them onto the hdd (backup purposes only of course?).

Need someone to hold my hand through this as total newbie to this.

Thanks!

dodger said:
I looking to do this, using the same method as you. Do you also need a network adapter then? Which Hdd are you using? Does it need to have usb aswel as the plug to fit into the back of the network adapter.

Is it easy to download games + store them onto the hdd (backup purposes only of course?).

Need someone to hold my hand through this as total newbie to this.

Thanks!

Check your PS2 version against the table here to find out if you need HD advance or USB eXtreme: wvw.hdadvance.com/hd_advance_usb_extreme_comparison.htm

If you get HD advance or USB eXtreme the software to backup your games onto a HDD is avalible from the above website too.

I use swapmagic 3.6, mainly because i couldn't find a cheap way of getting it chipped. Personally i'd have preferred a DMS Pro 4 because of the devlopment options it offers - and the fact that I could run ToxicOS and it looks damn cool!!

I'm thinking about getting HDadvance 3 and a network adapter. I noticed in the guide that when installing a game from a backup disc, you need a special tool to swap disks.

I'll probably be downloading everything in iso format. Am i right in saying it's just a case of using "HDadvance dump" in those cases? No need for the disk swapping tool?

How does it cope with games that come on multiple CD's ?

Hairy Steve said:
I'm thinking about getting HDadvance 3 and a network adapter. I noticed in the guide that when installing a game from a backup disc, you need a special tool to swap disks.
You don't need to employ the 'swap disc' method with hdadvance. The only time you'll have to swap any disc will be when the changing from the DVD boot disc to the CD boot disc (and vice-versa). The boot disc loads the menu, shows the games on the hard disc and contains the boot sectors required to load the games. The tool you mentioned is used in with the swap magic method of playing back-ups.

I'll probably be downloading everything in iso format. Am i right in saying it's just a case of using "HDadvance dump" in those cases? No need for the disk swapping tool?
If you use the software from the hdadvance website you shouldn't go wrong.

How does it cope with games that come on multiple CD's ?
I'm not sure how it copes with games that come over multiple discs... Perhaps someone else does?

You don't need to employ the 'swap disc' method with hdadvance. The only time you'll have to swap any disc will be when the changing from the DVD boot disc to the CD boot disc (and vice-versa). The boot disc loads the menu, shows the games on the hard disc and contains the boot sectors required to load the games. The tool you mentioned is used in with the swap magic method of playing back-ups.

One other thing. This tutorial says you need to make use of an "exploit" to run games from a HDD, is that true?

X-Box: Softmod - cant be asked to get a chip in it.. fudged up a PS2 a while ago
PS2: Chipped - (Bought Pre modded)

PSX:(the Grey one)... and if none of u remember this.. you must be able to remember the old swap trick were you changed the disk at the right spin times.. that was retro and a class method that never failed for me :D

120 hdd no chip mem card ps1 game small ajustment running cool

then i droped it

and had to buy another but all i did then was swap hard drive memcard and ps1 game :) all fine plus helps save on the laser

Back