Fan heater

leestevenson1988

Inactive User
Reaction score
got a problem with a 2kw fan heater, it has usual 3 settings, but when I turn it up to the hottest it cuts out within 5-10mins and wont go back on but the cold and other warm setting work no problem.

Anno most of these fans have automatically cut out when they get warm but the bloody thing doesn't even get the chance to get hot and wont go

back on until u switch if off at the wall and leave it for a while.

are these repairable ? would changing the fuse help or is it most likely something inside of it that's the prob?

cheers guys

There is a bimetallic strip thermostat in them that controls the cut-out.

I had a Dimplex (I think) one that went the same way. I twiddled the strip a bit but don't recommend it for safety reasons :).

If I remember right, turning the heat control s few times used to make it go back on.

Silly question really but have you checked what size fuse is in the plug. it needs to be 13 amp only no less than that.Or it could be clogged up with fluff.

Last edited:
If the fuse was under rated it would blow and it wouldnt work at all .
So its not the fuse. Its either the bi metalic strip as suggested or they maybe a thermal overload in the circuit

Was thinking of the same as ian,other than that there cheap enough to buy,shame there not cheap to run,unless electric is cough cough lol....

Miggy has the ball - open it up and vacuum out fluff (power off obs!) - most common fault with these :)

Also, clean the spindle ends on the fan and a couple of drops of light oil...

Miggy has the ball - open it up and vacuum out fluff (power off obs!) - most common fault with these :)

Also, clean the spindle ends on the fan and a couple of drops of light oil...

cheers guys, will give it a try.

Back