Facebook 'frenemies' most likely to hurt kids as young as 8

skinz

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Facebook 'frenemies' most likely to hurt kids as young as 8

Facebook 'frenemies' most likely to hurt kids as young as 8 - Yahoo! India News

Sun, Oct 3 12:35 PM

Sydney, Oct 3 (ANI): Children as young as eight are more likely to fall prey to cyber bullies and online predators, as they are flouting Facebook website age restrictions, police and teachers have warned.

Peer group pressure is forcing increasing numbers of primary school-aged children to sign up to the popular social media site without the knowledge of their parents.

Childhood experts said these children have to lie about their age because users have to be over 13 to create a Facebook account.

Internet safety advocate Robyn Treyvaud said when she asks a class of year four students if they are on Facebook, most put up their hands.

Treyvaud, who advises schools on cyber safety, said the children are naive about the impact of sharing personal information online and are influenced by hearing older children talking about Facebook.

"Kids who are 10 don't want to be 10 online. They want to be the cool 18-year-old and the reality is they can be," the Sydney Morning Herald quoted Treyvaud as saying.

"We make assumptions that because the kids are tech-savvy and know how to sign up to Facebook accounts without mum and dad knowing about it, they can do all the navigation of the technology, but they are not equipped to navigate the sorts of negative experiences they have when they go online.

"Evidence shows the greatest harm comes from their peer group, not the dodgy online stranger or predator," said Treyvaud.

The international Norton Online Living report found that 62 per cent of children aged eight to 17 have had a negative experience online, such as accessing inappropriate content, cyber bullying, giving out personal information and importing computer viruses.

Senior Constable Michael Steele told The Newcastle Herald a 10-year-old boy told him he had been chatting online with a man in Queensland. He said children "do not really understand there are paedophiles . . . trawling cyberspace".

Mosman Public School principal Kate Cooper has warned parents in her newsletter about children signing up for Facebook.

Cooper wrote that some parents were "unaware that children must be over 13 years of age to sign up . . . Whilst this is not strictly a school matter, we are very concerned about internet safety".

Child psychologist Michael Carr-Gregg said children using social media was "one of the great unaddressed public health issues of our time".

"Parents will spend a fortune teaching their children to swim or drive but not any energy, money or emotional effort to teach their kids to stay safe online," she added.

I'm being cyber bullied on Facebook, lol, and I'm not joking!

One night I was browsing Youtube and I stumbled across a video that was in very bad taste, so I left a comment, unfortunately for me I clicked on his Facebook link and replied via that, so he now had my Facebook account details.

He took my wifes details and cloned then, so he appears on Facebook as my wife, complete with proper Bio info and picture.

I'll not go into the graphic details, but he has tried to breakup my marriage, messaged almost everyone on my Friends list telling them that I'm currently going through a court case for multiple child sex offences. I raped his wife when she was 14 and I was 30. Sending threats of violence to everyone on my list, adding my kids then sending threats to them and all their friends on their lists, whilst informing these people who are complete and utter strangers to me that I'm a paedophile!

Remember all these messages are coming from a Facebook account that uses my wife's name, her profile and even her picture.

I've blocked him and reported him, but Facebook are useless, he's still there, still posting shit, still adding young girls (friends of my 15 year old) and having sexually explicit chats with them - pretending to be MY WIFE!

I had only been using Facebook for a month or so, but I've had enough of it. I've deleted my account and my wife's plus I've blocked all access to the domain via my router, so none of my kids can access it from my house.

I thought there was a few nutters on DW, but this guy really takes the biscuit.

I've done some research on the guy, turns out I'm not the first to be stalked by him, he's a serial headcase with far too much time on his hands and he really cannot handle criticism. He actually has a semi famous younger brother who is a Glasgow Comedian, he recently had a show on BBC2.

Eva asked me why Audrey hadn't been on for a while, well there's your answer. She doesn't trust anyone on the Internet any more and wants nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
To me it's just another internet warrior, but this is the first time Audrey has encountered anything like this and she's terrifed.

I've notified everyone on my friends list that the account is fake, so anyone that gets messages from them knows what to expect, plus almost everyone I know has blocked and reported the account. Yet there's not a day goes by that we aren't told of him contacting yet another person and accusing me of pestering his wife for sexual favours on MSN messenger or something similar, lol.

In all honesty, he is easily the most derranged person I've ever encountered on the Internet. A total stranger, the only connection between him and myself is a simple comment on a Youtube video yet he's working full time trying to blacken my name and cause fights between myself, family and my friends.

Digidude was on my Friends list, if he had gotten the messages he'd have loved it. ;)

Witchy M8 I'm so sorry to hear that wondered what had happened to Aud she was a great person on here and had asked you how she was with no reply.

Can you not involve the police in any way as infringement of privacy or harassment.

I hope you get things sorted, at least on DW the members appear to be pretty sound and can take a bit of banter or home truths.

Some of my 9 year old daughters m8's have facebook, I told mine straight not a chance until you are at least 16.

Some of her m8's have been victims of bully campaigns form kids at school.

At the end of the day it's the parents who are to blame because they should at least monitor their child's on-line activity's.

Sorry to hear about you,Aud and your family. I hope you get it sorted soon so you and Aud can get back on DW where you belong.
goodluck Witchy

Why people get ‘unfriended’ on FB

Why people get ‘unfriended’ on FB

Why people get ?unfriended? on FB - The Times of India

Why people get ‘unfriended’ on FB (Thinkstock photos/ Getty Images)
Facebook has become the best platform where friends meet to share photos, news and gossip, but when relationships sour, another phenomenon often occurs – unfriending.

And now, in a first-of-its -kind comprehensive, a University of Colorado Denver Business School student has revealed the top reasons for Facebook unfriending, who is unfriended and how they react to being unfriended.

"Researchers spend a lot of time examining how people form friendships online but little is known on how those relationships end. Perhaps this will help us develop a theory of the entire cycle of friending and unfriending," said Dr. Christopher Sibona, a PhD student in the Computer Science and Information Systems program.

After surveying more than 1,500 Facebook users on Twitter, Sibona found the number-one reason for unfriending is frequent, unimportant posts.

"The 100th post about your favourite band is no longer interesting," he said.

The second reason was posting about polarizing topics like religion and politics.

"They say not to talk about religion or politics at office parties and the same thing is true online," he said.

Inappropriate posts, such as crude or racist comments, were the third reason for being unfriended.

The study showed 57 per cent of those surveyed unfriended for online reasons, while 26.9 per cent did so for offline behaviour.

Sibona observed a sort of online hierarchy of dominant and subordinate relationships. For example, those making friend requests stood a much higher chance of being abruptly unfriended.

At the same time, those doing the unfriending seemed to hold the upper hand in the relationship.

It's a delicate dance with its own rules or 'nettiquette,' far different from face-to-face interaction.

"There is a lot more nuance in the offline friendship world. You don't have to go up to someone and ask them to be your friend. That's not the case online. It can be awkward," said Sibona.

An AOL study showed 30 per cent of teenagers wanted to unfriend their own parents.

Sibona found two users who actually did this. One later refriended his mom but put her on a limited profile so he could manage her online interactions.

While some respondents reported being deeply hurt at being unfriended, others were more amused than traumatised.

The study will be published by the Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences.

Read more: Why people get ‘unfriended’ on FB - The Times of India Why people get ?unfriended? on FB - The Times of India

Re: Why people get ‘unfriended’ on FB

hey witch sorry to hear the news

same situ here with my mussies.... someone posed as her to ster up triouble and shit.. not to the extent you have recieveed but know what ya going through..

good thing you have loyal understanding friends as nearly brok connecyojions at this end..

problem this day and age in the internet you can pose to be anyone..

forinstance if withy got banned i could sign up as "witchythe2nd" and call all kind of havock and ruin his rep.. (not that i would) but so easy to misled and make others believe you are who you say you are..

you get some total b******s of the net m8,
hopefullly he will get bored soon and move on to someone else...

ps whats the you-tube video?
we could all post some critical comments on it, them you might get left alone.. :)

Sometimes DW Seems Like Feckbook.

Just A Bunch Of Kids...Stirrin Sh*t.

Who Cares......Not Me.

Thers Allways Been Cyber Bullys Out There And Allways Will Be.
on feckbook/myspace/hi5/twitter/hotornot And many more.

but seems FB is the worse only cos it has more users/abusers.

Back