F*ck Hdd Empty!

Bally12345

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I need help big time, I upgraded one of the hdd's in my computer from 80gb to 250gb so I could keep all my movies and stuff on one drive.

Everything was working fine until I connected all my drives up. I had to disconnect one drive to connect the new drive so I could transfer my stuff. Checked it was all there and working then took out the old drive whacked in the new one and re-connected the one I took out. (Making sense?) Rebooted and now its all gone!

Anyways so now I should have over 140gb of movies, tv shows etc I stored up over the years. I tried to open the drive and I get the message this drive is not formatted do you wish to format!!! WTF no I dont wish to format wheres all my shit?

The worst thing was I cut and pasted from my old drive instead of copy and pasting now I dont even have a back up of the movies. I aint too bothered about the tv shows they can easily be downloaded again but some of my movies were very hard to come across..

Is there anyway I can get my stuff of the drive???

Im sooo pissed of im not even sure what im typing is making sense!!

Ok R-Studio wont work unless I register the program but surely theres a free recovery tool about... still downloading Ultimate Boot Disk so I need to figure out how to use that aswell...

i had the same prob a while back and the way i got round it was stick it in a caddy and run via usb and everything was still there just make sure jumper settings etc is all ok

bally12345 said:
Ok R-Studio wont work unless I register the program but surely theres a free recovery tool about... still downloading Ultimate Boot Disk so I need to figure out how to use that aswell...
just downloading powerquest partition magic anyone know if this will help r man out here

gazz10 said:
i had the same prob a while back and the way i got round it was stick it in a caddy and run via usb and everything was still there just make sure jumper settings etc is all ok

Just to confirm what should be the right jumper settings if I put it in the caddy? Currently the jumper is set to cable select.

Thanks for all your help guys btw, I wouldnt be soo bothered usually but this time theres sooo much data envolved here.

how about GetDataBack for NTFS v3.02 which is available on usenet

Description:GetDataBack will help you retrieve your files if the hard drive'spartition table, boot record, FAT, or root directory have been damaged by a virus, formatting, fdisk or power failure. GetDataBack can even recover your data when the drive is no longer recognized by Windows.

bally12345 said:
Just to confirm what should be the right jumper settings if I put it in the caddy? Currently the jumper is set to cable select.

Thanks for all your help guys btw, I wouldnt be soo bothered usually but this time theres sooo much data envolved here.

just checked and the settings i got are its set to master, this is connected to usb caddy

Plugged hdd using usb enclosure but it doesnt appear, it says drive is now ready to use but then nothing :S

Think a recovery tool is best option... It looks like the partition table is currupt does anyone know how to use that ultimate boot cd?

getdataback exe here m8 .... a have used caddys for years and have just put any old drive in from time to time without a problem . please have a go at me if u want but u r but have u tried without any juppers on the drive

smirnoff_rules said:
getdataback exe here m8 .... a have used caddys for years and have just put any old drive in from time to time without a problem . please have a go at me if u want but u r but have u tried without any juppers on the drive

Tried with jumper set to master, cable select and without jumper but nothing. Its like its trying to read the hdd but it cant. Going to re-attach to PC and hopefully try fixing with partition recovery tool.

mate, if you can see it it's like we have said, it's there, you haven't lost it, even if format the drive man ** but don't ** you can get the stuff back, haev you tried easy recovery, i can help you out with it if you like...

im upping it for you now man, i formatted a hard drive once, plugged the one in i thought had all my stuff on and then screamed in pain when i realised i'd done what i'd done.

I'm upping the software, will pm you when done.

Last edited:
Iv been trying Active@ Partition Recovery v 2.0 for the last hour and Active@ File Recovery but it doesnt seem to work.

Iv got too much to recover I fix the partition somehow I think

dibbers said:
mate, if you can see it it's like we have said, it's there, you haven't lost it, even if format the drive man ** but don't ** you can get the stuff back, haev you tried easy recovery, i can help you out with it if you like...

im upping it for you now man, i formatted a hard drive once, plugged the one in i thought had all my stuff on and then screamed in pain when i realised i'd done what i'd done.

I'm upping the software, will pm you when done.

When I try the recover option the program just closes... Im fed up now been trying to fix this for over 8hours im going to sleep and will give it a try again in the morning.

Again I would like to thank everyone for all the help :Cheers:

oh man, i don't know why, it worked ok for me.

It the end of the day mate, if you have to format the drive and get it back online, don't worry you can always try it again then, strange why it's closing down, maybe somethings conflicting with it......

When you format a drive, all it does is remove the 1st letter from all the files on there, as long as you don't write any thing to the drive all the files will be there.

filename.mpg changes to $ilename.mpg

i'm out of ideas man, good luck !

Last edited:
ooh thats abit risky, I dont want to try format quite yet, im going to try using the recovery software on another pc with a intel cpu instead of amd and see if that makes any difference.

YESSSSSS!! Finally managed to start recovering to another hdd going to take about a hour and half to do the movies then I have to do the same for the tv shows on another hdd because I dont have one hdd big enough.

Once I have them all recovered then im going to full format my 250gb hdd and transfer it back and hopefully this will be the end of this drama!

BIG Thank You to everyone who helped
:Cheers:

reputation.gif
Reps left for everyone who contributed.

Back