F*ck Hdd Empty!

Bally12345

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I need help big time, I upgraded one of the hdd's in my computer from 80gb to 250gb so I could keep all my movies and stuff on one drive.

Everything was working fine until I connected all my drives up. I had to disconnect one drive to connect the new drive so I could transfer my stuff. Checked it was all there and working then took out the old drive whacked in the new one and re-connected the one I took out. (Making sense?) Rebooted and now its all gone!

Anyways so now I should have over 140gb of movies, tv shows etc I stored up over the years. I tried to open the drive and I get the message this drive is not formatted do you wish to format!!! WTF no I dont wish to format wheres all my shit?

The worst thing was I cut and pasted from my old drive instead of copy and pasting now I dont even have a back up of the movies. I aint too bothered about the tv shows they can easily be downloaded again but some of my movies were very hard to come across..

Is there anyway I can get my stuff of the drive???

Im sooo pissed of im not even sure what im typing is making sense!!

did you set the jumper to the same as the drive you removed, yu cant have 2 masters or slaves on same cable. also did you conect the cable right way round, red stripe towards power cable.

Sounds like you need to go into the drive manager & initilize the drive.
Right click my computer, manage, disk management, you'll see the drive listed right click on it & initilize...
Hope that helps m8 ;)

This happened to me once, I also sh!t myself. What I done was to re-install my motherboards IDE driver. That sorted it, all my stuff was back on my new drive and it never came up with the error msg about having to format the drive again.

Checked all jumpers and ide cables thats all fine, tried putting the drive into a lanserver thing but cant get it work.. Going to try the driver thing but im not sure if it will work :S

BRB

Sounds like the drive is just offline....lone.gunman got it spot on. happened to me, i have easy recovery that can scan the drive, it's all there mate, you will get it back.

Best thing to do is not to panick at the mo and sit back and think of what you need to do.

When you use easy recovery it still can connect to a drive with out being on line, as thats windows that says it's not there, easy recovery just connects to it.

yea it cant format a drive m8 without u doing it , its all there . u havent got a harddrive cappy u can try

Nothing seems to be working, the file system is coming up as raw even though it was formatted NTFS

Looks like I will have to accpet iv just lost over 140gb of data

Tried the hdd in my brothers computer, and got the following message in the bios...
"SMART Failure Predicted on Primary Slave: WDC ___________blah
WARNING: Immediately back up your data and replace your hard disk drive.
A failure may be imminent.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :(

You could try this, sounds like this person had a simular problem

"Rebuild hard drive partition table
After I booted to Windows I saw that my old drive was not showing up as a drive or a partition. If I reight clicked on the partition in disk Management it knew that the drive existed but could no longer find a partition on it. Windows Disk Management said that the drive was healthy, My first attempt was to create a partition but not to format the partition as I did not want to lose the data for good. I fought with this for a couple of hours as I did not back up lately and the wife would kill me if I lost all of her data. In the end I was able to use Test Disk from the Filesystem tools of the Dos Ultimate Boot Disk. It ends up that the partition table had a start but not an end and the program was able to fix this….whew I would have been in trouble…."

Worth a shot.

Oh shit iv managed to use a ntfs recovery tool software called R-Studio and I can see my stuff on there but dont know how to do anything with it :S

walk away for a minute m8 and have a think . if u cant get it to work u can always get a harddrive caddy there only about 20 pounds from maplins and run fron a usb to recover your stuff lm sure

smirnoff_rules said:
walk away for a minute m8 and have a think . if u cant get it to work u can always get a harddrive caddy there only about 20 pounds from maplins and run fron a usb to recover your stuff lm sure

I tried that, I have a lanserver casing which I connected using usb but nothing apperared... Might give it another try though... What I need is a NTFS recovery tool which I can use freely because this R-Tools is a demo and im not sure if the limitation but it does give me the option to recover my other drives, but havent tried it as I dont have that much space.

Back